Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

should I let insurance pay for my therapy?

spjunkies

I was thinking about going to a psychologist for my social anxiety issues. The good news is that the lady who I want to see is covered under my insurance plan and that's wonderful since I'm broke. The issue I have is I don't want this to effect me getting a security clearance in the future and I know it would be on my records if they check it out.

My question is am I justified in being concerned about this or am I just being paranoid?

First, as others have said, your first priority needs to be attending to your health and well-being. If you need treatment, get it. Second, getting treatment for social anxiety won't necessarily cause you problems in getting a security clearance. Ya know what will? Lying about it or trying to cover it up. Being dishonest in connection with a background search is never a good idea.

I've had issues and still do to an extent with anxiety. I would definitely encourage counseling. It's extremely beneficial. I would suggest you not go the benzodiazepine route. You can have serious bouts of anger when you discontinue them and their effects on the brain is troublesome. Anti-depressants were not a good option for me either. The side-effects were simply not worth the benefits.

What helps me are the amino acid L-Theanine & GABA. Passionflower & Chamomile were also helpful. Lithium Orotate might be useful as well. You can get all of these from any health food store or online of course.

Good Luck

I've had issues and still do to an extent with anxiety. I would definitely encourage counseling. It's extremely beneficial. I would suggest you not go the benzodiazepine route. You can have serious bouts of anger when you discontinue them and their effects on the brain is troublesome. Anti-depressants were not a good option for me either. The side-effects were simply not worth the benefits.

What helps me are the amino acid L-Theanine & GABA. Passionflower & Chamomile were also helpful. Lithium Orotate might be useful as well. You can get all of these from any health food store or online of course.

Good Luck

I'm definitely going to give this a shot.

Thanks for the help everyone. I would never lie on a check just want to make sure I didn't mess myself up for the future :)

Insurance it is!!!!

yea like a previous poster said, it won't matter who pays for it. You will need to disclose it anyways. If it's just for Secret clearance, I doubt it would effect you at all. If it's for Top Secret, it could definitely effect you. All you can do is just give full disclosure and hope for the best.

Security clearance through FBI or CIA will know everything about you whether your insurance pays for it or not. When I went through it, they interviewed people in my life from my childhood, high school, neighbors, credit reports, student loans, everything. They will follow you around and know every little thing about your life. SO, go get the medical help you need, and worry about security clearances later.

FYI, some things they are really concerned about when they are doing the security checks is any type of illegal drug use or legal drug abuse and if you owe money to the feds (default of student loans, back taxes, etc.)

All the best

The issue I have is I don't want this to effect me getting a security clearance in the future and I know it would be on my records if they check it out.

Having past "issues" is not usually the issue with a clearance. Knowing and not disclosing those past issues is most certainly an issue with a clearance.

If you ever have to get your own insurance, (pay for it yourself and not through your work) your premiums will be much higher. Back problems and mental health issues are the two most expensive and "high risk" factors to insure. Just a heads up. Other than that, do what you have to do and like others have said, the clearance thing is irrelevant.

As long as it's not in-patient therapy, it will not raise questions regarding your security clearance; you should definitely use your insurance for it. If your condition is byproduct of a family or marital issue, you are not obligated to divulge a damn thing. However, if your condition is a byproduct of substance abuse, and you share it with your supervisor, he is obligated to report the case to sercuity. But as long as you're being pro-active (ie. not "directed" by an another entity) about it, that's a ground for cautious optimism. Trust me, I'm going through the same thing. Do what you need to do and use benefits that are afforded to you.

Archived