Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does it take more physically out of teams to be in close games every week?

NoCalMike

It seems ever since Gibbs 2.0 (2004), regardless of the coach, system, or players, the Washington Redskins have been a team based on the defense keeping us in games.

I don't know if it is because the turnover of players on offense is too high annually, if the system is not stuck with long enough to get the max potential out of, or if the talent scouting has just been that bad.

With the exception of a game here or a game there, it seems the most we ever seem to get out of this team is approx 24 points.

I see other teams around the league that aren't offensive powerhouses by any means, at least have a few weeks sprinkled in there where they break 30 points, but for some reason the 'Skins can't seem to do it very often at all.

When the team is playing with a 2 TD lead in the 4th quarter, it has to change the urgency in the defense. I don't want to necessarily suggest they can then play soft, but it definitely changes the way the opposing offense plays, they start getting desperate, become one-dimensional etc etc....

Are we lacking this benefit by seemingly always having our games come down to the last possession or two?

Well I know I'm pretty tired of it. I wanted the Cowboys game to be decisive either way. If we lost, I didn't want it to be a humiliating blowout (of course), but maybe lose by 10 or 14 points and move on with life, not left re-hashing this or that play in my mind over and over again. But what do we get? Same thing we always get in Dallas. A blown lead, a narrow loss, and another sleepless night thinking of all the ways it could have turned out differently. I know there is a lot of parity in this league and therefore close games, but we seem to have more than our share of gut-wrenching losses. So lets get really really good and start winning by 3 touchdowns every game so it doesn't come down to a botched field goal or untimely penalty every week.

Since the 2001 season, the Redskins have won 71 games. Only 8 of them have been 17 or more point margin of victories (11.3%)

As a contrast:

Between 1993-2000, the Skins won 55 games and 12 of them were won by 17 or more (21.8%).

The Gibbs era (81-92) of course dwarf these numbers. Gibbs won 140 games and won 48 of them by 17 or more (34.3%).

On the flip slide.

Since 2001 we've lost 95 games and 21 have been by 17 or more (22.1%).

1993-2000 we lost 74 games and 17 of them by 17 or more (23%)

1981-92 we lost 65 games and 15 of them by 17 or more (23.1%)

No surprise in this data. Good Offense=more blowout wins.

Right. I think this speaks to the bigger issue that we really haven't had an offense in a long time than goes out and puts 30+ points on the scoreboard, even against inferior competition.'

While our defense tends to have plenty of stand out moments from time to time, our offense seems to hard ever be able to take advantage of the short fields by converting it into TDs. It is usually a FG or a muffed FG......

I would imagine that if our offense is up by two scores or more in the 4th quarter it is going to take some of the heat off the defense feeling the need to have to make every single snap by the opposing offense a nightmare. Which in turn will keep them fresh for longer into the season.

Right. I think this speaks to the bigger issue that we really haven't had an offense in a long time than goes out and puts 30+ points on the scoreboard, even against inferior competition.'

While our defense tends to have plenty of stand out moments from time to time, our offense seems to hard ever be able to take advantage of the short fields by converting it into TDs. It is usually a FG or a muffed FG......

I would imagine that if our offense is up by two scores or more in the 4th quarter it is going to take some of the heat off the defense feeling the need to have to make every single snap by the opposing offense a nightmare. Which in turn will keep them fresh for longer into the season.

Actually, over the last decade we were usually one of the most successful teams in the short area. Even last season we ended up just a little below the NFL average after starting around 25%, the previous year we were in the top 10 despite not having any power run threat and in 2005 we finished around 11 despite being like 31st over the first 4 games. Problem here is not with short fields but the lack of short fields opportunities. Also in 2009, our overall short game was among the best. 2007 highlights the biggest problem, inability to hit the kill shots. At 20-12 against the Eagles, Campbell overthrows a wide open Moss. At 17-10 against the Giants, Campbell again misses Moss deep. Against Green Bay, Moss drops a few gorgeous long ball opportunities. We then play the Cards and look for the KS to go up 21-0 at the half and not only fail but let them get back in the game. 2010 was one of the first years since Gibbs stepped down the first time that we consistently got SFO set up by defense or teams.

I think, as stated already, a big reason is a lack of offense in general, due to constant turnover and a lack of continuity... but I think something that's being overlooked and possibly even more of a factor in this disturbing trend is the lack of explosive playmakers. We simply haven't had that guy here in so long. It's like we just never get an Adrian Peterson or a Chris Johnson. We never get that Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson. Guys who can just take a game over and force opposing defense's to totally focus in on them. You don't need that guy if you've got a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning at QB, but that's the hardest guy to find. For whatever reason, we just simply haven't had explosive playmakers.

The closest we've come to one was with Santana Moss who, unfortunately, had to endure way too many offensive systems and absolutely no threat across from him to help him out. The lone exception was in 2005 when David Patten helped that cause, but just couldn't stay healthy. Clinton Portis was that guy when we first brought him in, but then we turned him into an old school "run you over" type back more than the speedy elusive guy he was in Denver.

It's pretty crazy... I can't name any explosive guys on our offense other than Moss really in the last decade.

Look at the offense's that consistently can put up huge points without that elite franchise QB right now.

The Raiders are doing it because of Mcfadden and Denarius Moore. Explosive playmakers.

The Texans always do it with Johnson and Foster. Explosive playmakers.

The Eagles can do it without Vick, because they've got Jackson, Maclin and McCoy... all explosive.

The Lions did it last year with friggin what's-his-face at QB all because they got Calvin Johnson, the QBs no. 1 bff. I seriously think I can put up solid numbers at QB playing with that guy.

The Vikings have put up points in the past riding Peterson's back alone.

The Bills right now have got Fred Jackson and Steve Johnson providing key playmaking ability, forcing defense's to focus on them.

The Cowboys, when they were at their best on offense, had Terrel Owens providing the big plays. Now it's Felix Jones when he's healthy.

The Steelers have had a bunch of guys like Burress, Willie Parker and now Mike Wallace.

Seriously, we haven't had guys like that here in forever. We've had solid guys who can produce, but just no explosion. Think about it... other than Moss our best players on offense were Portis and Cooley. Those guys were excellent (and Cooley still is) and can start on any team, but they're not the guys you look for to put up tons of points and make huge plays game in and game out.

Right now, our greatest weapon in terms of explosion is our offensive system. Seriously. And maybe Anthony Armstrong. Fred Davis can be, too. I honestly believe Armstrong has potential to be a bigger factor in our offense as time goes on, but he's still not that huge threat that makes opposing D's shake in their boots. I think this is, by far, the biggest reason we struggle to put up big time points. Imagine if Rex has a guy like Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson to just throw the ball up to when he's in trouble... it would be huge for this offense. Remember the year Eli took the Giants to the Super Bowl? How many times did he just throw the ball up to Plaxico when he was in trouble, and Plax would make the play even though he was tightly covered?

We just don't have that guy who can drive a defense crazy. That guy who, even when the defense does everything right, still makes a play. Some teams even have a few of them.

---------- Post added October-1st-2011 at 12:18 AM ----------

The last game I remember truly spanking the hell out of the other team was SF back in 2005....52-17

Yup, and that was when Santana Moss was tearing it up and defense's couldn't stop his burst. Patten was also helping out by forcing teams to respect him at the time.

Wow i thought id never hear david pattens name again lol. Actually i remember we beat the lions 33-3 in 07? Could of been 05 but.

It was 34-3, I believe. Yes, it was '07. Jason Campbell was offensive player of the week & Sean Taylor had an INT.

I had to look it up to see if that was correct. What I forgot was that game was Carlos Rogers' only pick 6 at the end of the game when the Skins already had it in the bag. You know if it were a close game he would have dropped it. Seriously.

Archived