Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NASA Moon Photos Show Gear/Tracks From Missions Past

Dan T.

NASA has released photographs from its Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter that capture the sharpest images ever taken from space of the Apollo 12, 14 and 17 moon landing sites. Images show the twists and turns of the paths made when the astronauts explored the lunar surface along with the equipment they left behind.

Here's a photo of the Apollo 17 site. The "LRV" is the moon car the astronauts tooled around in. The trails are cables and the paths made by the astronauts moving along the moon's surface.

lunar2.jpg?t=1315327298&s=51

More pics, with explanations, here:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/news/lro-briefing-20110906.html

obviously photoshopped................................

seriously though, this is absolutely fascinating to me. it never ceases to frustrate me how little curiosity and will to explore there is in america today. the space program was so incredibly cheap for what we got out of it.

NASA_budget_history_2.png

this graph is adjusted for inflation to show modern dollars. even at NASA's peak during the cold war race to the moon, it only cost $37 Billion in equivalent dollars today. that is about one half of 1% percent of the total fiscal budget, even when adjusted for inflation. bargain of the century. it is a real shame that people mistook the space program for being costly or wasteful.

But, but, I thought we never landed on the moon. Man there goes all my conspiracy theories down the drain. Just kidding, I find anything and everything about space absolutely fascinating, and can't wait for the new designs they have for space exploration so that we can REALLY get out there and do some exploring.

Pfft! You know it's fake, because it shows the LRV parked way away from the descent module...what do they expect us to believe that they left the LRV on the next block and walked home? Bah....totally faked.

They were just following rules. Parking on the north side of the crater Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. South side Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I can see the obelisk.

My favorite Apollo story is the one about the crew of Apollo 8 who were the first to see the dark side of the moon. During the period of radio silence from Earth as they passed on the far side of the Moon, it's claimed that they discussed announcing that there was an obelisk, just like in 2001.

Archived