Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help a VT Class Go Viral

“Misdirection”

In an attempt to utilize the social mediums available to me, I am going to ask my fellow ES members for some help here. I considered just posting this in the random thought thread, but this is a worthy enough cause for it's own thread, imo. And i know from all the voting things we've done that people here are dedicated enough. ;)

So if anyone feels like doing something nice today, is bored at work, tired of reading Oldfan and ASF threads in the stadium, or has nothing else to do, please watch this video and link it to some co-workers or family or anyone!

The video itself is a request from our professor John Boyer (aka, the Plaid Avenger), and our single class of 3000+ college students. We want Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez, who are currently on a bus tour showing their new film The Way, to stop by and screen it for our class. Not only do we get points for watching the movie and answering the subsequent quiz questions, we get points just for pulling this off. And this is how we're doing it.

VIRAL VIDEO. It can't be ignored. Boyer has sent requests to the estevez/sheen camps and they've been ignored. Not anymore.

Now I don't want to overhype the video, so here it is. Link away my friends. :D

uXjNAcJXrBI&feature=share

LINK:

For something to go viral it needs to have a certain mass appeal. I don't see that.

And you can't make something go viral, it has to take on a life of its own.

Good luck though.

yea asking for something to go viral is like having to tell people you are trustworthy, or cool, or actually really good at something. you are none of those things if you have to say it.

Boyer is awesome. One of my favorite prof's at VT. Glad to see he is still there doing well

Since when did McBryde seat 3000? :ols:

He holds class in Burruss now.

And to answer the questions about going viral, maybe it was the wrong word choice. But the point was to get as many views as possible, because the more people that see it, the more chance there is that a news outlet picks it up, or that Sheen or estevez see it themselves. It wouldn't be a good plan to withhold from telling people to watch it, Monkfan. The whole point is to spread the video through as many mediums or networks as possible. By you watching it, someone like me is holding out hope that you show someone else, thus expanding the network of who has or even can see it.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump! Emilio and Martin came by via their tour bus today and premiered us the film. The night was a huge success all around. Had some "quack-quack-quack" chants ala mighty ducks and sang them the hokie fight song among other things. And finished it all off with a Q & A with the father son duo.

The real gem of the night, however, was the movie. Amazing. I didn't have huge expectations going into it but it man did it wow me. Estevez captured the beauty, hardships, and soul-searching of the Camino de Santiago about as well as a movie can. It was a low(er) budget film that they shot in about 40 days on the trail itself and everyone in the background, including the cops who were featured, were the actual people on the road itself. It shys away from the typically hollywood screenplay, and features no violence or sex or vulgarity other than some comic relief relating to the drug use of the dutch. It has rarely granted access of the Cathedral de Santiago de Compostela which puts it all into perspective properly.

The greatest part about the movie is that there isn't the typical 'bad guy' or antagonist that plagues every film these days. It's a subtle combination of a man v man, man v nature, and a man v himself. Without any of them heavily over shadowing the other. In other words, this film is fantastic and i think anyone who appreciates real directing and telling a story about something that matters should see it.

But hey, this is still america, so who am i kidding? :)

Archived