Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need the answer to this question. Is there a documented history to NFL Predictions by the pundits

PatFischer37

I would love to compare the predictions from years past on all the major magazines and sport shows on predictions for super bowl teams as well as 2-14 teams as many have predicted for us this year. My feeling (without documented proof of course) is that they are shooting in the dark only using the last year as their guide

If you have scans of old mags, please share

I don't know of any but the pundits love to bury those because they have been wrong more than right. Look at how many times in the last 10 they have the Cowboys winning the division and even representing the NFC in the Super Bowl all to come to only one playoff win in that span of time. So I too would love to see that predictions because it might just show how wrong they really are.

I've got two for you.

In 1991, SI's DR Z predicted the Skins would go to the super bowl, and lose to the Bills. Close!

In 1992, he predicted the Skins would go as a wild card, win a game, and lose. Right again!

He wasn't right too often (I remember he picked the bills to win three straight super bowls they all lost) but hey he came close on those.

I've got two for you.

In 1991, SI's DR Z predicted the Skins would go to the super bowl, and lose to the Bills. Close!

In 1992, he predicted the Skins would go as a wild card, win a game, and lose. Right again!

He wasn't right too often (I remember he picked the bills to win three straight super bowls they all lost) but hey he came close on those.

ok..that was 20 years ago, how bout something recent

Yeah it's always nice to see some douche reporter get called out for a bogus prediction. These guys are all blowing smoke with the occasional shot in the dark being correct.

My callout for right now is Cowturd voting us the worst team in the NFL this year on Sportsnation.

I've got two for you.

I remember Dr. Z... when did he retire?

I would suspect that unless you keep swinging for the fences (picking the "surprise" teams), you should be hitting around 7-8 out of the 12 teams that'll go to the playoffs just by picking the ones that went last year or were obviously close. Year to year, you usually do not see a lot of great great swings at most a couple "old guard" teams may fade out while 1 or 2 "new guard" teams may step up to fill the void. Rules changes (usually you'll see a 2-3 year delay in power shifts) do tend to create some big swings (for example, in the first few years after the '78 rules changes there were several major changes in the NFL power structure).

Here's the ESPN experts pics that just came out for this season:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview11/story/_/id/6885090/espn-experts-nfl-predictions-2011

Lot of love for the Patriots this year....we'll see. To their credit, a pretty good number of these guys had the Packers at least repping the NFC in the SB before the 2010 season started. I can't remember who the consensus AFC pick was, but the Steelers were picked I think by only one person (I think many believed Pitt wouldn't be able to overcome Ben's suspension).

I'm sure if you do a search you can find a bunch of historical preseason picks.

Archived