Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game ball...turd ball

OxonHillSkinsFan89

That's not neccessarily true. You couldn't tell for sure from the TV angle, but it looked like Doughty had over the top. It's just impossible to tell whether he was late coming over, or if he peeled off his responsilbility to help out.

I was at the game, Doughty had to come off his coverage to help out at the last second, they were both beat if it was caught in stride.

Gameball, Pretty much the starting offense, Fletcher, Kerrigan (he played a LOT better than I expected for his first game after missing so much practice, and his progress to OLB looks really good, though he did over-persue on a couple running plays, but I remember Orakpo having the same problem as a rookie), Banks, and GANO (not ONE KR, can you imagine what that stat would look like at the end of the year, NO KRs vs Skins?!)

Dingleberry goes to - Aldrick Robinson, to make this team, dude MUST show he has enough return skills to knock Banks off his pedestal, definitely doesn't look remotely possible after tonight. He couldn't even catch the ball. Shayne Graham, who looked so awful I'm willing to bet they signed the other Shayne Graham instead of the 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history. He sucked.

Those were the only two that just looked like they completely didn't belong out there. Hankerson did look bad too though. Dude might have baseball gloves for hands, but he needs to watch the ball in.

Anyone that comes into this thread demanding we thank Dan Snyder for one good preseason game.

lol Can't say I see that happening. I honestly can't say I see anyone here thanking Dan Snyder for a super bowl ring. Let alone 1 win.

Game Ball: Hightower, Moss, O-line

Turdball: Graham, Robinson

It didn't look like Doughty was designed to be over the top, he was drifting left until just before the ball was released, then he played catch-up. Either it was drawn up as man coverage with no help, or Doughty blew his coverage... Either way, that was a touchdown if the catch was made, unfortunately

Game Ball tonight: Grossman

Runner Up: Hightower (Next Redskins man-crush right here)

Needs some work (in lieu of turd ball)

Gotta be the rook Hankerson (Still needs a lot of work)

Note: Wasn't Gano supposed to be getting some training camp competition?

Honorary Game ball: Coach Shanahan and Bruce Allen

The Redskins played with fire tonight that I have not seen out of the Skins since the best moments of Gibbs 2.0. The new influx of young talent on both sides of the ball was clearly noticeable tonight. Make no mistake, these men are going to build us a winner. There is obviously a LOT of work to still be done, but the seeds have been planted. We have nowhere to go but up.

It didn't look like Doughty was designed to be over the top, he was drifting left until just before the ball was released, then he played catch-up. Either it was drawn up as man coverage with no help, or Doughty blew his coverage... Either way, that was a touchdown if the catch was made, unfortunately

Definitely. It would have been a 2010 rewind. I trust Hall a lot, though. If you hear his interviews, he knows what he's talking about. He knows his repsonsiblities. He knows the game. I mean, he could have had a lapse. It's plausible. There's just no way to tell for sure right now. I'd be more worried if it was OJ and Landry out there. I'll give DH the benefit of the doubt on those plays.

I pretty much agree with who you guys have said, so I'll add some other guys that I noticed some good things from.

Scott got some penetration, White got some pressure and showed good hustle getting back into the play on the rb.

Westbrook showed something in coverage and was in very good position on ST.

Jackson was pretty good when I noticed him.

Austin came real close to muffing that punt, but at the same time showed incredible hands catching it. Looked solid receiving.

Anyone notice others (or should that maybe belong in a different thread?)

The unexpected "nuggets" tonight were:

Royster, Hurt, Paulson on offense and Gnomes, Barnes, and White on defense.

Other more familiar names played well ... but that was expected.

Good to know about Hurt and Paulsen. I forgot Young had that really nice YAC, but didn't notice him blocking.

Great to see competent depth play, don't know how much it will translate this year, but this offseason really seems to have turned this team around.

Was I the only one that was impressed by Keyaron Fox? He played with a nasty streak out there, or so it seemed to me. Hopefully its not just because he was playing against his former team. I don't expect much from him during the regular season, but its always nice to have depth at LB.

Gameball goes to Fred Davis, he looks like a new man. He had some nice catches, looked fast off the line and the biggest thing that stood out to me was his blocking (which no one is talking about). I noticed it initially on the big run by Hightower early. He latched onto his man and didn't pancake or bully anyone, but he did a good job of walling his man off and keeping him away from the ball carrier. Then I watched the game again when it replayed on CSN Saturday, and really made it a point to watch him in just about every play he was in on and he consistently did a good job in keeping his assignment away from getting near the ball. I saw maybe 2 plays where he didn't do as good a job, one time the OLB just dipped his shoulder and snuck past him, then the second time he doubled on a man with Trent, but it looked like he was supposed to take one of the LBs rushing wide and resulted in a short gain for Hightower. I really think Fred may steal play time from Cooley if he can keep this type of play up.

Turd: Shyanke Graham, I'm sorry, you miss a FG from 27 at all and you deserve to be on this list, but when you miss a 27 yarder that badly you deserve to go on the Diarrhea List.

Ok, got a chance to watch the game after work tonight. :wavetowel

Game ball has to go to Sexy Rexy. He looked comfortable in the system. He was getting rid of the ball quickly, decisively, & accurately. Aside from a couple of flubbed plays, the offense did real well.

Turd ball-This is a tough one because I think there are a couple of people who could share this "honor". Shayne Graham I think is the freebie. Even if the Steelers had scored on 2 TDs that were overthrows, if Shayne Graham hits his FGs, we would still win. Although, I don't know that I can be overly harsh about him missing the 2nd FG attempt. It was from 49 yards out.

No, I would have to say the Turd Ball goes to Hankerson (sp). He had a couple of good opportunities to show himself worthy & he literally dropped them. On the one catch he did make, he hurt himself. Not a good outing for the youngster.

Stallworth, Armstrong, &...#18 (can't remember his name right now) had a real good game & it looks like we're stacked at WR.

I liked Hightower & #26. Helu did real nice as well, broke off a couple of good runs. I like seeing Hightowers pass-blocking skills, he was pretty impressive all around.

It was AWESOME seeing a pass rush...A PASS RUSH from our Redskins! What a delight & refreshing to see again. Still some tackling issues on the Steelers TD, but all in all the defense was aggressive & pursuing.

Honestly, I'm trying not to get overly excited. Far too many times we have seen the Redskins start the pre-season strong, only to taper off & start playing poorly by the end of pre-season which then translates into the regular season & we spend the rest of that scratching our heads wondering, "Where is the team we saw in that first pre-season game?"

While I'm thrilled to see this team play efficiently & disciplined, I'm hesitant to get too excited. I heard Mooch on NFLN say that Rex could lead us into the playoffs this year. I thought, " :doh: Oh boy, here we go! Why'd he have to go & say that?!"

But, I am excited to see all these new, young, & enthusiastic faces. They were trying hard & playing well against a pretty good Steelers team. They didn't have all their starters, but then, neither did we. So, it's a positive start. HTTR

:point2sky :beavisnbutthead: :logo:

Archived