Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Music Television Turns 30 Years Old

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It is odd that they didn't even have a one-hour special on turning 30. What, did they think Twitter would've been ablast with why is MTV showing stuff from their past on their own anniversary?

Matt - VH1Classic FTW.

Right but they should at least have something on MTV. I remember ESPN making a big to do over their 25th Anniversary. Most people probably had no idea it was MTV's 30th Anniversary and that's sad.

Well, Jersey Shore is their biggest draw and that has garnered a max of a little under 9 million per episode which is impressive considering it's 2011 and on cable and late at night. But I think it's daytime ratings would go up if they had music video blocks. They could still show their reality shows, just get rid of the useless repeats.

Well, Jersey Shore is their biggest draw and that has garnered a max of a little under 9 million per episode which is impressive considering it's 2011 and on cable and late at night. But I think it's daytime ratings would go up if they had music video blocks. They could still show their reality shows, just get rid of the useless repeats.

I think the problem MTV always had with videos is selling ads. Were their rates different for after Michael Jackson videos versus after DeBarge videos? That's the primary reason they started blocking off videos into thematic shows.

The other issue with videos is that it takes the network out of control of the content. If the music business hits a slump - like the last decade - MTV goes down with it. It's no skin off MTV's ass that Christina Aguilera's last album tanked. They have The Situation. And they own him and all the subsidiary rights.

I mean, it's sad, but who is a bigger star now? JWoww or Adele? The Teen Moms or Niki Minaj?

MTV is better at getting their personalities on the cover of US Weekly than Sony Music is.

They still showed music videos during the day in the 90s and early 00s. I think they could still have an informational music block in the middle of the day or afternoon while still showing their cash cows at night. I know with the Internet you can get all the music info. you want it'd still be pretty cool to just chill and watch stuff on up and coming artists.

I think to ask them for 24/7 back is unrealistic in this era.

I think the problem MTV always had with videos is selling ads. Were their rates different for after Michael Jackson videos versus after DeBarge videos? That's the primary reason they started blocking off videos into thematic shows.

The other issue with videos is that it takes the network out of control of the content. If the music business hits a slump - like the last decade - MTV goes down with it. It's no skin off MTV's ass that Christina Aguilera's last album tanked. They have The Situation. And they own him and all the subsidiary rights.

I mean' date=' it's sad, but who is a bigger star now? JWoww or Adele? The Teen Moms or Niki Minaj?

MTV is better at getting their personalities on the cover of US Weekly than Sony Music is.[/quote']

LOL. DeBarge videos on early MTV?

LOL. DeBarge videos on early MTV?

To the beat of the rhythm of the night

Dance until the morning light

Forget about the worries on your mind

You can leave them all behind

---------------------------------------------------

And, of course.....

Who's Johnny?

She said

And smiled in her special way

---------- Post added August-3rd-2011 at 05:55 PM ----------

Here is is something to think about.

If ES existed in 1985....and we had a Tailgate...and we were this age....

Half the posters would be ****ing that they didn't play music by "real artists" like Foghat.

NavyDave would be ****ing that a bunch of fags were on tv acting like lunatics.

I would be ****ing that they didn't play enough black artists and were horrible racists.

I remember my dad really liking Culture Club the first time he heard them on the radio. I remember him being quite disturbed the first time I showed him a Culture Club video.

I like DeBarge too, by the way. I also liked Culture Club. They still occassionally play their song "Time" on our local R&B station. But do you remember when Rick James did complain about the lack of black artist on MTV?

I like DeBarge too, by the way. I also liked Culture Club. They still occassionally play their song "Time" on our local R&B station. But do you remember when Rick James did complain about the lack of black artist on MTV?

I was eight when Thriller came out so I wasn't really reading the Rolling Stone music notes column. And I didn't get MTV until 1985 so I didn't see any artists on MTV at the time. I was vaguely aware that there was this belief that pop music had gotten really really white and MTV was partially to blame for it. Then Michael Jackson happened and Prince came behind him and everyone wondered why all black men suddenly weighed 98 pounds and sounded like girls.

What I really remember - because I was in junior high - was the debate about rap and MTV. They started playing Run-DMC but that was largely because of Aerosmith. They played The Beastie Boys but they were white and were almost a novelty act at that point. I think the Fat Boys eventually got on with Wipe Out, but that was a novelty song featuring members of The Beach Boys. MTV really seemed terrified to play anything too "real" when it came to rap. Like I'm pretty sure "I Need Love" got some air time, but I don't think "I'm Bad" did. And LL was never exactly Ice Cube, you know. And I know this pissed a lot of people off.

"Real" rap really didn't get played until Yo MTV Raps and by then I was a freshman in high school. And even then, it seemed kind of sanitized. Fab Five Freddy was already like 50 years old. I think DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince were the first rappers to appear in studio. Don't quote me on this, but I'm not sure when Public Enemy finally got mentioned on MTV. I feel like it wasn't until at least '89. I'm not sure they ever played PE videos.

If you think about PE released arguably the greatest rap album ever in 1987 and maybe the greatest rap single ever in 1989. If MTV had really gotten behind those, Flavor Flav might own Apple right now.

I'm 100 percent certain that Fight the Power was shown on BET a lot. I wish there was a way to find out how many times it was shown on MTV. I bet it's really really low.

Everything you said is true. Believe it or not, in order for us to see "real" rap videos in the early 80's, we would have to catch them on late Saturday night on the USA Network.

Night Flights showed rap videos? I don't remember that. Night Flights always seemed to be showing either the movie version of The Wall or The Song Remains the Same.

I'm trying to think where I saw rap videos in the 80s. I assume BET showed them, but I never quite had a handle on their schedule. And BET sometimes seemed to be more afraid of backlash from white parents than MTV was. Also, BET has always been just awful.

Night Flights showed rap videos? I don't remember that. Night Flights always seemed to be showing either the movie version of The Wall or The Song Remains the Same.

I'm trying to think where I saw rap videos in the 80s. I assume BET showed them' date=' but I never quite had a handle on their schedule. And BET sometimes seemed to be more afraid of backlash from white parents than MTV was. Also, BET has always been just awful.[/quote']

You could have seen rap videos on either HBO, Cinemax, NBC's Friday Night Videos, TBS's Night Tracks or even a local channel because some used to show videos. I can still remember the first time I saw Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five's "The Message" video on late night USA. Back then, we didn't have BET but I heard early BET was good.

Archived