Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10,000 Thoughts, part 2

Hitman21ST

First off, I have to give Burgold credit. He had this idea for his 10,000th post, and I thought it was such a good idea, that I would have to take it and use it myself.

It is a lot to think about. Not even counting all the political, religious, and random thoughts posted in the tailgate, 10,000 different thoughts is a daunting number.

I've been a Skins fan my whole life. From being born up in Springfield, VA to living down in Chesapeake, the Redskins have been the focus of my football life. I was born in 1984, so I missed our first Super Bowl. However, I vaguely remember the 87 Lombardi, and 1991 will always be kept in my memory. I've experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.

Eventually, I stumbled across ExtremeSkins. I can't even remember how I found it, I just knew that when I did, I would be able to have intelligent football discussions and be able to share memories and stories with fellow fans. It would become my virtual home, and it has. I've made some good friends, some good rivals fans, and some bad rival fans. I'm always up for a good football discussion.

I've even been able to do some self-searching because of the boards. I think I've found my calling, and I'm about to go back to school to get my Master's in Education so I can coach football. Good or bad, that was influenced by stuff I've learned here. But that's my story, and you didn't come here to read that.

Why are we Redskins fans? Definitely not from the past two decades. Since 1991, we've been searching, futilely, for that magic combination of players, coaches, schedule, and lucky bounces. Sure, we've had the occasional above average season, and made the playoffs. But that shouldn't be good enough. It isn't good enough. After experiencing two Super Bowls, nothing but a Lombardi is considered a successful season. (Little sidetrack here, but that's what baffles me about Eagles fans. They talk like they've done stuff, and are proud of their great regular seasons. If we don't win the Super Bowl, to me it's the same as if we went 0-16. I'd rather go 8-8, creep into the playoffs on a wild card and win the Super Bowl than go 16-0 to lose in the divisional or conference round. But I digress.)

It's the fresh start. That's why we're Skins fans. Every year, at the beginning of the season, anything can happen. More than Vinny has trained us to expect the big flashy move in free agency - thank Gibbs he's gone - is that we have come to expect anything, and the Skins to have what it takes to come out on top. We won the Super Bowl in shortened seasons. We haven't had a true franchise QB since Sonny, and we've won three Super Bowls. Our scabs beat Dallas, in Dallas. We trailed for 55 minutes on Monday Night Football at an away game, and still won. The Hand of God Game. 5 in a row or we don't go. We have come to expect the unexpected. That's why we watch the whole game. That's why, no matter how much we're down, or how much of a longshot for the playoffs the Skins are, we keep watching until the bitter end. The unexpected, the random bounce, or errant pass. That's why we kept watching last year during the Monday Night Massacre. There's always the chance.

You can give Pittsburgh their six Lombardis. You can give Dallas their back to back Super Bowls and media love. You can give New England their three out of four. None of that will change that the Redskins will always have the chance. We could field the worst team in NFL history, but there would still be that chance. That's why I'm not worried about this year. Beck? Grossman? Who cares? No one knows how the ball will bounce. For all we know, Asomugha, Jenkins, Babin, and Vick could all go down with injuries in the first week of preseason. Or they could all have all-pro seasons. Doesn't change that there is always a chance for the Redskins. That's why we're fans. That's why we keep coming back, year after excruciating year.

So, after 10,000 thoughts, good discussions, and yet another painful year, you'll still find me here, lamenting every bad play, cheering every good play, and always looking for that chance. Hopefully everyone who shares these feelings will come and enjoy the ride with me. Everyone's welcome.

So, after 10,000 thoughts, good discussions, and yet another painful year, you'll still find me here, lamenting every bad play, cheering every good play, and always looking for that chance. Hopefully everyone who shares these feelings will come and enjoy the ride with me. Everyone's welcome.

Congrats and I was already sitting next to you.

Always a chance is right Hitman. I'd be lying to say if I were not starting to get concerned about the way things were heading with Shanahan, but I certainly feel much better now. Of course they're questions and big ones, but I still believe we've taken some good strides forward these past few days. I'm definitely going to enjoy the ride too. Congrats on 10K bro.

10k posts? Man, you need to get out more and start living your young life man. :silly:

Congrats on the landmark bro. :cheers:

I don't think I'm alone in saying your contributions are always welcome and the rich fabric of this place we like to call 'home' would be all the worse without you.

Hail.

*Edit* And 5 stars, just because ..... I'll take the money in cash BTW. :silly::D

Great post, Hitman, and congrats on the landmark. I'm not too far behind ya, and I'm definitely there with you on this tumultuous ride we like to call "fandom".

There are very few people I know who really understand why someone would be a fanatic, a real bonafide obsession-level fan, of a sports team, nevermind one that has been as frustratingly poor as our Redskins. And there are fewer still who understand the need to seek out the company of like-minded fans, of others who understand, to both commiserate and converse.

But guys like you and I have obviously found what we were looking for here, and I can honestly say that I have enjoyed this place more with your contributions, than I would have without.

Here's to you, Hitman, even if you ARE egotistical enough to think you're good enough to copy Burgold ;)

:cheers:

Congrats on 10,000 Hit, and it's good to have members like you on board. :)

Also congrats and best wishes on continuing your education with grad school--it's a big move, but I encourage it wholeheartedly, even in today's economy. Just try to minimize loans. :)

Congrats. I don't know how I found this site either. I've been written up a work for "excessive" internet use once and they'll probably tag me again, but I love this place. I'm steaming towards 20,000 (would be more like 25,000 if the tailgate counted- grumble, grumble). But anyway, here's to 10000 more for you.

Archived