Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone ever make pickles?

The 12th Commandment

I'm in the same boat with cukes, and will have too many tomatoes and hot peppers later on, so I bought a cookbook on it this winter. I'm planning on canning (jarring actually) some pickles this coming weekend. I don't know if I have to wait until next year to really know if they turned out well, or if I'll be able to tell when I can them. I'll let you know.

A bit off topic, but when I got that book it had a section on pressure canning. That appealed to me since I love to make things like chili, stews, etc., and you can preserve those that way. Now I have lots of chili, bolognese, stews in 2 serving portions ready to use. It's not difficult to do, and it has freed up a lot of freezer space.

/geekery

Can't say that I've made them but I do use sirachhi (japanese garlic chili sauce). I just throw some in the jar of store bought dill slices and its great if you like spicy food. I'm sure it would be even better with the home made variety.

Anyone ever make pickles and have any secrets? I've got an overabundance of cukes this year and I was thinking that would be a good way to make use of them and I might wind up with something better than Clausen's.

Just add a quart of High Fructose Corn Syrup and put them in a jar and you're set ;)

I've made cukes without cooking and keep them in the refridgerator. I slice the cukes how I want them, made a mix of rice vinegar, organic sugar and water. The vinegar to water ratio is 1:1 and enough sugar to sweeten the mix. Then I put the cukes in a glass jar and pour mix over the cukes and into the refridgerator they go. They will keep a long time that way.

I've made cukes without cooking and keep them in the refridgerator. I slice the cukes how I want them, made a mix of rice vinegar, organic sugar and water. The vinegar to water ratio is 1:1 and enough sugar to sweeten the mix. Then I put the cukes in a glass jar and pour mix over the cukes and into the refridgerator they go. They will keep a long time that way.

Sounds like that salad they serve you first course of most Japanese restaurants. I like it! How long is it good for in the fridge?

Sounds like that salad they serve you first course of most Japanese restaurants. I like it! How long is it good for in the fridge?

Yeah, I kinda modeled it on that but without onions (not my fave raw)! I made a pretty big batch and I still have some in the refridgerator a year later. The main thing is to keep the cukes covered in liquid. They are still good. The vinegar is what "pickles" the cukes. It's like ceviche when the lime (acidic) "cooks" the fish, shrimp etc. Vinegar is acidic, so the same principle applies.

One could do the same with apple cider vinegar maple sugar and make sweeter pickles, or one could add very little sugar and dill and/or pickling spice (same as for corned beef) to make more savory pickles.

Archived