Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Report: Two plaintiffs demand freedom

MisterPinstripe

I do like how the NBA does it.

Allow for the team that drafted a player be able to offer more money than any other team.

If player X wants to leave team Y, they should have to give up some money to do so. It gives the original team the advantage I believe they deserve.

But I think franchise tags are BS. Should not be able to handcuff a player. Allow him to choose his path.

@mortreport

"Do not forget that the players' request for a one-time only franchise tag application has always been on table. Didn't just happen today."

@mortreport

"Tom Condon, agent for Brees and Manning: Drew and Peyton haven't asked for anything individually and continue to be 100 percent behind the players' efforts to resolve the negotiations."

@VincentTJackson

Preciate the support guys! Can't believe all u read or see in media. I have made no demands, I wanna play ball like the rest of my peers!

@drewbrees

I want no special perks. My job is to get a fair deal for all players, and I am proud to represent them all - past, present and future

@drewbrees

All media claims about me wanting a personal reward for this deal are false. I hope you all know me better than that

Players want big bonuses and long term deals. Tags do NIETHER! Petting tagged for twenty three million next year paid weekly at a one point six mill per week rate. Not bad, but if Manning was free? He'd get a ONE HUNDRED MILLION dollar deal with a fifty to sixty million dollar bonus! At my school? Sixty better than one point six. Maybe I'm wrong.

@VincentTJackson

Preciate the support guys! Can't believe all u read or see in media. I have made no demands, I wanna play ball like the rest of my peers!

@drewbrees

I want no special perks. My job is to get a fair deal for all players, and I am proud to represent them all - past, present and future

@drewbrees

All media claims about me wanting a personal reward for this deal are false. I hope you all know me better than that

Pressing the spin cycle hard here. The players themselves may not have made these demands but their agents have with the NFLPA lawyer Kessler reported to be the ringmaster. Reports are the wider NFLPA Exec tore this all down and its no longer on the table.

Interesting to note the power of instant news and immediacy of fan reaction via social media to provide a check on behaviour and tactics which might have flown 20 years ago.

Playing Devils's Advocate, but when the last CBA was signed, Reggie White among others had their name on the lawsuit, and they were "rewarded" by having a "no-franchise" clause in all their contracts.

Correct - but that was before there were any franchise tags or proper free agency as we know it now, it was the 87 strike that won free agency for the players as I recall. Its a different situation now IMO.

The other critical difference was that back in '87 we did not have twitter or instant access to the ebb and flow of the negotiations. No one knew what was happening until it happened back then. I really think the upswell of negative comment on message boards, comments on NFL.com, ESPN etc about the story and of course good old twiiter was a warning shot across the bow of the NFLPA Exec committe that this turning into a PR disaster and needed to be burried fast.

Archived