Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cracked: 5 Pro-Marijuana Arguments That Aren't Helping

GhostofSparta

Do you realize the market potential they could tap into with the legalization of weed?

If only there were a real world example of a state that made medicinal pot legal, handed out prescriptions for said MJ like candy on Halloween, and even had one of the largest cities in the USA openly state that they would not prosecute MJ possession. See, if this existed in the real world, then we could look at how the economy of that state performed after MJ was basically legalized and see the net profit of all the money being delivered to that state's capital in the form of taxes and saved expenses of enforcing those laws.

If this ever happens, I'm sure that state would be rolling in money, leading the economic recovery of the country and being a beacon for the successful legalization of MJ. If only that were real (well, we can dream, can't we)?

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 02:55 PM ----------

The article was originally titled "8 Pro-Marijuana Arguments That Aren't Helping" but the author forgot what the other 3 were.

OK, we have a winner, FOLKS (and DanT, you owe me a new key-board - mine is full of diet pepsi right now)!!!

If only there were a real world example of a state that made medicinal pot legal, handed out prescriptions for said MJ like candy on Halloween, and even had one of the largest cities in the USA openly state that they would not prosecute MJ possession. See, if this existed in the real world, then we could look at how the economy of that state performed after MJ was basically legalized and see the net profit of all the money being delivered to that state's capital in the form of taxes and saved expenses of enforcing those laws.

Hey, hey, hey smart ass :D I was not talking about San Francisco. I was responding to a poster's comment that Phillip Morris doesn't want MJ to be legalized and is lobbying against it. I'm saying Phillip Morris would actually be able to increase its market with MJ fully legalized. I'm not talking about how it would supposedly help our economy...I'm talking about why it's a misconception that big tobacco companies would be completely against marijuana legalization.

If this ever happens, I'm sure that state would be rolling in money, leading the economic recovery of the country and being a beacon for the successful legalization of MJ. If only that were real (well, we can dream, can't we)?

I know you're being sarcastic, but since there also seems to be a nugget of a real opinion in there, are you seriously suggesting that a marijuana tax, all by itself, should be enough to counteract the housing bubble and fund California's government? Because I haven't seen anyone else come close to suggesting that. All that's been said is that it would help.

That is a whopper of a red herring there btfoom. Cali is suffering from a budget deficit because of Prop 13, in large part, and a lack of property taxes. You can't govern based on peoples whims, i.e. propositions. Nice as pure democracy sounds that's why the founding fathers didn't set things up nationally that way.

Keast, what I was asking about was reciprocation, which they don't (not surprisingly). No biggie, I left it at home. Not ideal but I'll survive. Nice thing about non-addictive medications. ;)

I can answer that question. Because the government has no business telling me how to catch a buzz. Now the article says that those 5 arguments are hurting the pro marijuana advocates. Wrong, they might be over used arguments but they are perfectly valid ones & they do one thing very well & that is point out the pure hypocrisy of the federal government. I can add a 6th & sillier, but true one, to that group.

6) Nutmeg can get you higher than pot & can kill you or make you seriously ill if you eat too much. Yet I won't get arrested & treated like a criminal if I put nutmeg on my little cousins apple sauce. Besides all that when have laws ever stopped people from doing what they want when it comes to catching a buzz. Prohibition didn't stop people from drinking in the 1920s & it sure as hell isn't going to stop too many people from smoking weed or doing any illegal drug for that matter. Prohibition of anything is stupid & in the end only benefits gangs & organized crime syndicates.

And boom goes the dynamite. People - 1, Government - 0.

Where could you smoke weed if it were legal though? Isn't 2nd hand smoke a concern? It's getting more and more illegal to smoke cigarettes in public places, I can't imagine Marijuana will be looked on more favorably.

sidewalks, beaches, parks, wherever, some bars have outdoor areas, that's how it works in CA, except places w/ blank no smoking bans. Marijuana smells much better than cigarettes at least

Archived