Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would it help the players to forget about Dallas rivalry?

NoCalMike

Every year the fans always let the players know about the huge rivalry and how important it is to beat the Cowboys etc....blah blah. Does this added pressure really help at all? I mean when both teams suck or both teams are good, then you have a rivalry, but my thinking is that the last few years, the Skins should have approached the game not as some huge rivalry, but merely as facing a very medicore team that does not belong on the same field as them. I am thinking maybe all the rivalry talk needs to end until there is actually a rivalry again, cause right now it is dead.(Not that I don't take EXTRA JOY in a victory over the cowboys). The feeling is always going to be there, but I just want the team focused on beating an inferior team, rather then living through another chapter of the rivalry.

I think the importance of the rivalry might have been on their minds to some degree during the Streak From Hell. Athletes in general tend to be a little superstitious, and however much they denied it, I'd bet there was a little voice in the back of the guys' heads asking whether Jerrah had indeed sold his soul to Satan. I know there were times (like when Davis fumbled last year) when I thought there had to be some evil supernatural force at work. How much it affected their play is difficult to say. Hopefully, any demons that may have existed in their minds were exorcised when they finally ended the misery with last season's victory. Maybe they can finally see the Cowboys as jusy another lousy team and get down to business when they play them.

The rivalry is very important and it is our history. Deon said the reason Dallas would always beat the skins is because they believed in the rivalry. They would eat, drink, and sleep the rivalry. When cowboy norv came to washington that is when the rivalry started to die for our team and all hell broke loose. I say "BRING THE RIVALRY BACK WITH PASSION AND BEAT THEM COWBOYS DOWN. GO SKINS!!!"

The Redskins should never go into any game thinking they're going against a mediocre team. They should take every game with the attitude that this is the playoffs and if we lose this game we're done. The next day, get your emotions going to the next game. However, they should never forget the rivalry with the Cowpies. We should let Parcells remember it also.

Archived