Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PCWorld: Quantum Teleportation Is A Reality.

Stew

Beam me up, Scotty; scientists have finally done it! Using what looks like an incredibly complicated setup, scientists have not just figured out how to transport information using the quantum highway; they have actually made it happen.

In the past, such teleportation experiments were either slow, or there was information loss in the process. This new experiment procedure eliminated both of those concerns; the team transported a "cat"--Schrödinger's cat to be exact. No, it wasn't a real cat, but instead were wave packets of light which represented Schrödinger's cat, a paradox in which something has two states at the same time (the cat is both living and dead)--a condition called called quantum superposition. Quantum computers work (or will work) by storing data as quibits which can represent one and zero at the same time; this would allow them to solve multiple problems simultaneously.

To do this, the researchers developed a "broadband, zero-dispersion teleportation apparatus" and a whole new set of "hybrid protocols involving discrete- and continuous-variable techniques in quantum information processing for optical sciences," along with some other things that I completely do not understand. In the end, the researchers managed to 'remove' the quantum information from space, and it was resurrected in another place.

Click link for rest of article

http://www.pcworld.com/article/225394/Quantum_Teleportation_Is_A_Reality.html?tk=out

Beam me up, Scotty; scientists have finally done it! Using what looks like an incredibly complicated setup, scientists have not just figured out how to transport information using the quantum highway; they have actually made it happen.

From the description I can't tell if they are talking wify or eithernet. but the implementation does sound more similar to a fax machine than Star Trek's transporter.

To do this, the researchers developed a "broadband, zero-dispersion teleportation apparatus" and a whole new set of "hybrid protocols involving discrete- and continuous-variable techniques in quantum information processing for optical sciences," along with some other things that I completely do not understand. In the end, the researchers managed to 'remove' the quantum information from space, and it was resurrected in another place.

MTP?

having only read the tidbit posted here, I'm pretty sure they're talking about quantum coupling where you have two quantum particles coupled together. No matter how far away from each other they are, they will always spin together (can't remember if the spin the same direction or opposite direction). Because of this, we can use the direction of the spin as either a 1 or a 0 for digital data. Unlike other forms of data transmission involving either electrical signals or waves which travel at a given speed, quantum coupling is instantaneous.

having only read the tidbit posted here, I'm pretty sure they're talking about quantum coupling where you have two quantum particles coupled together. No matter how far away from each other they are, they will always spin together (can't remember if the spin the same direction or opposite direction). Because of this, we can use the direction of the spin as either a 1 or a 0 for digital data. Unlike other forms of data transmission involving either electrical signals or waves which travel at a given speed, quantum coupling is instantaneous.

I don't think that's accurate.... Quantum Mechanics is the study of subatomic particles like electrons and how they travel around protons and neutrons...

The guy who wrote the article seems to have fundimentally misunderstood what he was talking about.

Quantum Computing is conceptually the smallest and therefore the fastest theoretic computing mechanism.

Quantum Communications or eveidently "Quantum Teleportation?" is theoretically using subatomic particles to convey information... which isn't that interesting or useful from a pure computer communications stand point. We already have operational computing systems which communicate by light.. which is much faster than Quantum communications..

Now there is one application for Quantum Communications which makes it superior to light. It is possible to use quantum mechanics to encode a message which would allow one to track every reading of that message. From an information security stand point it has a purpose. The Chinese were doing a lot of work in this because they are terrified of the NSA ease dropping on their sensitive communications.. with good reason.

But none of that has anything to do with Teleportation like Star Trek.. or sending live objects through space to be reassembled upon reception.

It's more like super secure and very slow (relatively) email.

Besides the US Military already offers teleportation as a computing option.

http://www.disa.mil/services/teleport.html.

The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) is implementing the Department of Defense (DoD) Teleport System.

I have a very dorky interest in quantum mechanics, but I have absolutely no idea what the OP says. :ols:

I've read about quantum teleportation before, though, and it's pretty cool. Also, JMS, I think you're ignoring the possibility of using quantum mechanics to instantaneously send information across vast distances in space. There's no need to have something faster than light here on Earth, but if/when we ever develop technology that would allow us to build ships fast enough to reach, say, Alpha Centauri, the speed of light isn't going to cut it for communications, unless you want to be limited to sending messages that will take four years to reach their destination. If we can figure out how to harness the power of quantum particles that instantly change their spin no matter how far away they are, we could have constant, direct contact with an expedition that's four light years away.

• 1 year later...

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/507531/first-teleportation-from-one-macroscopic-object-to-another/

"First Teleportation from One Macroscopic Object to Another

Physicists have teleported quantum information from one ensemble of atoms to another 150 metres away, a demonstration that paves the way towards quantum routers and a quantum Internet."

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/507531/first-teleportation-from-one-macroscopic-object-to-another/

I honestly believe if we'd dump a ton of money into particle physics and quantum entaglement and information we could revolutionize the world (in some aspects) in my life time.

Archived