Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disney World/Universal Orlando Vacation?

DM72

Disney is just not for me. I understand that people love it, but no thank you. It's like pulling teeth.

And you felt like you just had to click on the clearly labeled Disney vacation thread, and share that with us, because . . . ?

I don't like soccer, hockey, or NASCAR. I don't click on threads dealing with those subjects, just so that I can tell a room full of people who do like them, that I disagree with their choice of recreation.

I am a Trekkie. :) I do not make fun of other people's hobbies.

Went to Disney for the 1st part of my honeymoon and stayed on the resort for the first time: Animal Kingdom. Something just seemed lacking from the usual Disney magic to me. Still a fun time ... maybe the food poisoning I got from Disney food ruined my impression. I love Disney but I cannot imagine going there yearly ... the magic wears off a bit. I think taking some time off or taking new people that have never been is the best.

Will go back to Disney but don't think I'd stay on campus again. Didn't seem worth it. It's either low grade food for 30-40 bucks for 2 or 110+ for great food. No mid-range that I noticed. And the buses were fine for getting to the park but if you stayed until closing it was unbelievably packed and took several bus trips despite us booking it out of the resort to get to the bus lines and this was at the end of October so it wasn't that packed.

Also, I don't know why people take their kids that cannot walk for a full day. Never seen so many temper tantrums from kids that just looked exhausted.

I want to wait a few years to go back, and see the expansion of Magic Kingdom that they were working on when we were there, but I definitely want to go around christmas time. Seeing them set up the lights in Hollywood Studios while we were there seemed like it was going to be an awesome show.

Busiest time of the year for the parks, is Christmas vacation. Say, the two weeks before and after Christmas.

If you're looking for a Disney hotel room, then I assume your choices will be limited.

More info might get more specific suggestions.

I'm thinking about heading there over New Years. Any tips from our Disney experts here?

Try to get reservations for California grill if you want an expensive great meal. We tried several months out and could only get reservations at 9:40p on the first day we got there but it was well worth it. They knew it was our honeymoon and gave us an amazing table overlooking magic kingdom as it changed colors and complimentary champagne, dessert etc.

If going to Epcot I recommend getting dinner at the beer garden. Forget the exact name but it was a fun time and great food.

Busiest time of the year for the parks, is Christmas vacation. Say, the two weeks before and after Christmas.

If you're looking for a Disney hotel room, then I assume your choices will be limited.

More info might get more specific suggestions.

Have a connection in Disney, supposed to be able to get me 1/2 price rooms at the Grand Floridian. Still a good chunk of change for that time. Just myself and the wife. Will be there for 4 days.

Yeah, Disney has SEVERAL really good, really expensive, restaurants. And I agree, California Grill is one if them. (among other things, it's the place where I left the biggest tip I've ever left. I posted the story somewhere else, a few years back).

Have a connection in Disney, supposed to be able to get me 1/2 price rooms at the Grand Floridian. Still a good chunk of change for that time. Just myself and the wife. Will be there for 4 days.

If it's just the two of you, go to Victoria and Alberts at the hotel. Get the Kobe. Trust me.

Yeah, Disney has SEVERAL really good, really expensive, restaurants. And I agree, California Grill is one if them. (among other things, it's the place where I left the biggest tip I've ever left. I posted the story somewhere else, a few years back).

Yup me too. Our server was amazing as well as the stops they pulled out for our honeymoon dinner. All the little details were amazing. Champagne, Dessert with a congratulations thing in chocolate, mickey mouse confetti on the table, the view and table that was sort of offset from the big dining room, etc. Left a very nice impression.

Wish we could've scheduled it later in the week ... we sort of peaked on the first day haha.

Well, speaking of expensive restaurants, GF has more than one, there at the hotel. (And California Grill is only a monorail away).

You want fancy, grown up, things, or "act like a kid" things? You want to eat with Mickey Mouse and 75 kids who are jumping up and down in happiness to see him? Or rather not?

I suspect that Magic Kingdom will likely ge closing early, a least one day, for their Christmas party. (I assume that they'll be having it for a week or so, after Christmas). Might want to check which days, so you can either plan on it or plan around it.

MK will probably be doing their usual fireworks. (Which, IMO, are fantastic). But they might be doing Christmas fireworks. (Which I aossume re better, but obviously I haven't seen this years, yet) b

EPCOT, unless they've changed it, has more of what I think of as a pyrotechnics show. It's a narrated thing, with fireworks and lasers and video projected on water curtains and similar things. Fireworks are part of it, but it's all low altitude things.

I've never watched Fantasmic, which I undertant is more like theater (you sit on bleachers and watch a show). I understand there's flame effects and stage performances.

There are no nighttime activities at Animal Kingdom, because the park closes before sundown.

I've always thought that their Spirit of Aloha dinner show, next door to Grand Floridian at Polynesian, looked interesting. But I've never seen it. They only do it five nights a week, and it's almost always booked up.

The Christmas fireworks aren't all that different than normal at the MK. There's a different soundtrack that goes with them though.

Epcot hasn't changed their show in the past 6 years at least.

The castle is decorated very nicely at night at the MK though.

Disney is just not for me. I understand that people love it, but no thank you. It's like pulling teeth.
And you felt like you just had to click on the clearly labeled Disney vacation thread, and share that with us, because . . . ?

I don't like soccer, hockey, or NASCAR. I don't click on threads dealing with those subjects, just so that I can tell a room full of people who do like them, that I disagree with their choice of recreation.

I am a Trekkie. :) I do not make fun of other people's hobbies.

I wasn't making fun, if you like Disney that's great. It's just not for me.

My fiancé and I will be going the day after Christmas and leave the 29th at night. Just a quick trip we planned back in July and staying in the Pop century hotel. We booked through Liberty travel. I have never been to Disney before. The one thing that I am worried about is that some of the rides I won’t be able to fit into. I weight about 350, a big guy. I have read that this isn’t really a problem, but it concerns me. Will this be a problem? We also have a meal plan; we have already made reservations at places.

With it getting close to month to go I am getting really excited, kind of feel a little silly about that, but I want to go before I take the kids I will have, and be able to enjoy adult Disney.

ok... i am going to go online this afternoon and try to get a room in one of the remaining on-site hotels

from what i am seeing.. TRY to get something at:

Wilderness Lodge

Animal Kingdom Lodge

Polynesian

I have to confess to being TOTALLY ignorant on thse matters.... but you are talking about the magic kingdom and the castle as two different things.. is the castle not in the MK?

and.. when do you do all these things (like looking at the animals sleeping with night vision goggles)??? what time does the park itself close? i pictured an exhausting day at the park... going to the hotel to a disney themed dinner, and at least one of them falling asleep into their pluto-burger, but PERHAPS there being enough energy for a swim in the pm or next morning...

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 03:23 PM ----------

if you are asking ME... we are going to be there the monday after thanksgiving

Perfect day. The park will be empty. BUT BUT BUT, dont even think of going without having a plan. I am not up to date on what is open and closed with the renovations, but Im sure you can find that online. Talk to each of you kids and have them choose the rides they want to do in order of most to least. Then you have to plan. Utilize the fast pass.

And listen to Larry. Book Crystal Palace today.

My fiancé and I will be going the day after Christmas and leave the 29th at night. Just a quick trip we planned back in July and staying in the Pop century hotel. We booked through Liberty travel. I have never been to Disney before. The one thing that I am worried about is that some of the rides I won’t be able to fit into. I weight about 350, a big guy. I have read that this isn’t really a problem, but it concerns me. Will this be a problem? We also have a meal plan; we have already made reservations at places.

With it getting close to month to go I am getting really excited, kind of feel a little silly about that, but I want to go before I take the kids I will have, and be able to enjoy adult Disney.

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/misc/largeandincharge.asp

I'm 6'4'' about 230. At my size space mountain is a cramped ride. mostly because of leg room.

I'd feel most rides you could fit on...some might be more cramped than others.

As was stated earlier, use fast passes. But not for all rides. There are two rides specifically where the wait will be ungodly without them

Soarin' in Epcot and Toy Story Mania at Hollywood Studios.

The fast passes go early and will quickly be gone for the day by noon.

If it's not extremely important you ride with your wife, some of the roller coasters have a single rider line...which is basically a front of the line pass.

If it's not extremely important you ride with your wife, some of the roller coasters have a single rider line...which is basically a front of the line pass.

Thanks, riding with her is not that important to me, but not sure about her. She has been to Disney before, I am pretty sure it doesnt.

I am all about the Fast pass. We already have our days planned out, and how we are going to try to get the most out of 4 days 3 nights out of the park. Going to be some all days, but I think it is going to really fun.

Archived