Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SF CHronicle: Skatalites' drummer Knibb dies in Jamaica at 80

MassSkinsFan

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/13/international/i092222D24.DTL&type=health

For those who enjoy reggae, ska or rocksteady music, or songs that draw on those styles, you have Lloyd Knibb to thank for inventing the unique beat and style of drumming that go along with the music.

He was a fun guy to be around and a musical colossus.

RIP Lloyd.

You knew him personally? Really cool.

RIP

Yep. He and the Skatalites mentored my band a long time ago. After that we toured Europe with them and played lots of shows in the US with them too.

My best memory is walking into a dressing room somewhere in Germany with three other guys from my band and discovering Lloyd already in there. He yelled at us, then growled. After we got past the initial shock, we realized he was "guarding" a stack of cases of beer left there by the club. He pointed at it, then puffed out his chest and shouted "My beer!!!"

We didn't know what to do until he started laughing and gave us a couple of them.

He had a fierce countenance and was a tough guy, but also very nice and a real joker.

If anyone is in or near Boston and a fan of ska, come to Porter Belly's in Brighton tonight. We're doing 2 sets, with a block of about 10 Skatalites songs in the 2nd one. Bring your instrument and get ready to honor Lloyd and other Skatalites who've gone before him (Don D, Roland and Tommy).

Archived