Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Putting 2 and 2 Together: Our 3rd QB to compete with Rexy and Becksy

Ricky Ervins

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/13941/Kubiak-impressed-with-QB-Matt-Leinart/Default.aspx

Although Matt Leinart was the third-string quarterback for the Houston Texans throughout the 2010 season, he impressed Texans coach Gary Kubiak according to Adam Caplan of FoxSports.com.

“It’s huge,” Kubiak said about Leinart’s upside. “He’s got the ‘it’ factor. People follow him and just watching him come here with us, where he was when he walked in the door, what he had been through and watching the confidence that he’s walking around this building with this past week as we prepared to play our last game, either we’re going to get him or somebody else is going to get a hell of a quarterback. I think he is going to be a fine, fine player.”

Leinart was expected to be the starting quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals after Kurt Warner's retirement but one coach he obviously has not impressed in Ken Whisenhut. Whisenhut cut Leinart shortly before the 2010 season started.

With at least 10 teams looking for a starting quarterback or looking for one to compete for a starting job, Leinart might get a second chance to revive his career next season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With McNabb on his way out, and the chances we bring back Rex extremely high, its time to start to think about who will be the 3rd QB brought into camp to compete. With all the speculation of Bulger, or perhaps an undrafted Free Agent rookie, there is actually a pretty intriguing QB out there that makes sense for a multitude of reasons... Matt Leinart. I am by no means advocating Leinart as our savior, or even saying he would be our starter... all I'm saying is he makes a ton of sense to bring into camp and compete.

1) As you can see above he gets Gary Kubiaks seal of approval. There might not be a single recommendation in the NFL that means more to Shanny then his former protege. Their offensive philosophy is built on the same core beliefs and they have the same expectations for the position.

2) Given the likelihood of a shortened offseason, doesn't it make sense to bring in a QB familiar with our offense? Not only is Kubiak Mike's disciple but he is also Kyles old boss. The terminology and the concepts are the same. You can't underestimate the importance of this.

3) Leinart is a former early first round pick. The talent is there. The failure and embarrassment he has experienced so far in his professional career has most likely lead to a radical change in how he approaches the game. He also got to learn how to be a pro under a pretty darn good example in Matt Schaub.

4) He was drafted by Dennis Green, and as a result was never given a fair chance by Coach Whizz. In addition to that, he probably wasn't the best fit for the Whizz offense that is predicated on play action and deep throws.

They both have terrible attitudes when it comes to football... but at least Young wins games and would be able to scramble around when his pocket collapses on every play.

ROFL but so true. Both statements. I've never seen QB's with such thin skin as Vick. I'm not too familiar with Linert but he seems to think that he can get away with not practicing. Not to mention his old coach passed on him and the Hawks need a QB.

Makes sense since he has experience in this style of offense and with a possibly shortened season /lack of training he can play right away if needed. Besides he will only be offered back up QB money and not top 10 draft bust money. Don't really care for him but if Shanny wants him to compete for a spot let him.

"The talent is there. The failure and embarrassment he has experienced so far in his professional career has most likely lead to a radical change in how he approaches the game"

The same could be said for Jamarcus Russel. You want your QB to be the hardest working guy on the team, leading others to do the same. Some just dont have that mental make up. I would rather grab Quinn(sorry, i skewed)

Archived