Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CyberGM: Redskins draft grade/analysis

SkinsGuru

Washington Redskins: B-

The good: The Skins had one of the more interesting drafts, trading back several times to help fill a boatload of needs. The best value in the top-half of their draft was Miami WR Leonard Hankerson. Plenty of talented wideouts have graced “The U,” and to land the one who holds several school records for WR, including the all-time touchdown mark, in the third round is money. We like RBs Roy Helu and Evan Royster, and love WR Aldrick Robinson as a sixth round sleeper, but did they really need to draft two RBs and three WRs? We did at least think their choices at those positions were quite solid, but fifth rounder Niles Paul might have been a wasted pick. He reminds us all too much of one Devin Thomas. Of course, picking a Devin Thomas in the fifth round is a lot better than doing so in the second. We like seventh round selections Markus White and Chris Neild, both of whom we think have a shot at the practice squad and eventually more. Overall, it was the best Redskins draft in years.

The bad: All that trading back loses its luster when you fail to address two obvious needs, offensive line and quarterback. Granted it was a weak QB class, but the lone bright spot fell right into their laps in Gabbert. The Skins’ continued refusal to choose offensive linemen high in the draft (with the one exception of Trent Williams last year) is somewhat baffling. They may regret passing on the one true franchise quarterback of this draft class, and perhaps should have taken him if they weren’t going to address two pressing needs with the picks acquired from their trades anyway.

Rest of the division's grades

I love it when people grade teams drafts as if every team has 7 first round draft picks. If we had taken Gabbert, we wouldn't have had all those picks that they are praising us for. You can't have it both ways, CyberGM! If we'd have taken Gabbert and an O-Linemen in the 2nd round, they'd have given us a C- for not addressing the 31st ranked defense in the league and not addressing our overall roster depth. You just can't win sometimes.

Implied is that we thought Gabbert is a franchise QB, which I don't think he is.

I am surprised by what little we got out of the Jags for his trade up. He was considered a franchise QB. Teams really overpay for that move up usually and they only overpaid a 4th. But anyways I guess there wasnt the demand for the pick

The QB issues cannot be understated though. It is by far the important player on the field and usually takes a few years to develop. I feel we wanted Jake Locker and the Titans screwed that up, but I just dont think with all the QBs that came off the board, there isn't one we shouldnt have taken a flyer on. It really is that important a position. We really wanted to keep trading down over address the QB situation? Hard to swallow. Ryan Mallett in the third comes to mind. To get a top 10 talent at QB in the third round is great risk/reward even considering off the field problems.

For this draft to be considered a foundation for future teams, we absolutely must get a franchise QB next year and not dither around and come up short like we have for the past three years.

Nice analysis. Hit some important pros and cons on the handling of this particular draft.

However, I would have liked more comments on how this draft addressed another need: youth, something that can be as fundamental to a team as a QB or OL. The Redskins are getting long in the tooth. A big draft class like this one really helps rejuvenate a team.

Overall, I would give the skins a tentative B+.

I'd give them a flat C. Definitely need to rebuild the whole team. But with late round draft picks that may or may not pan out, just not sure that is the way. Anywho, bottom line is Shouldn't be years before any of these draft picks see the field and have any impact on games. So, you and I really can't give much of a grade, but rather an opinion as to if you agree with their philosophy of compiling late round draft picks. While I agree its a start, I would rather have the picks the Pats had this year or next. Just my .02.

Well I'd rather hit the Powerball and MegaMillions back to back, but until then I'll play the cards I hold.

The Pats draft warchest was stocked by years of maneuvering and depth on their roster that allowed them to amass those picks, not something just pulled out of a hat.

Well I'd rather hit the Powerball and MegaMillions back to back, but until then I'll play the cards I hold.

The Pats draft warchest was stocked by years of maneuvering and depth on their roster that allowed them to amass those picks, not something just pulled out of a hat.

Absolutely. I'm just saying, wouldn't you rather have those picks as well? Maybe in a few years this franchise could be there.

Yeah, sure I would, but people seem to forget that we are still in detox from a decade of Vincompetence that corroded virtually every aspect of the franchise. I'm still in the "wait n see how it plays out" camp, but there sure seem to be some encouraging signs.

Yeah, sure I would, but people seem to forget that we are still in detox from a decade of Vincompetence that corroded virtually every aspect of the franchise. I'm still in the "wait n see how it plays out" camp, but there sure seem to be some encouraging signs.

even the owner must now see how destructive his bromance with vinny was to this franchise.

That about sums it up. We'll need to look back in 2-3 years and see how this draft played out.

exactly.

if the people doing the mock drafts, and draft grades, were worth anything when it came to player/talent evaluation, then they'd be GM's or scouts or running scoutting departments.

but they're not. they're talking heads TV stations pay because they are charasmatic and entertaining.

remember. jamarcus russle was suppose to be a top 5 qb in 3 years according to mel kipper.

Archived