Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com, Jeffri Chadiha: Redskins made smart choice with Kerrigan

blitzpackage

Wow, did we draft a white guy? Next thing you know, a white running back will be on the cover of Madden and a Black QB will win a superbowl for the Redskins. Right, like that could happen.

And who the hell has a higher motor than London Fletcher? That and Brains is all the guy has! He's black, right? Not sure. I know he is Burgundy and Gold though.

And to add, he reminds me of a Woodley type with his size and motor.

Quick question for you guys, I wasn't able to watch the draft and was curious what the thoughts of the ESPN crew were when Gabbert fell to us. Did they think we'd take him and what was there reaction when we traded out?

Getting back on topic.....I'll bet Kerrigan passes the conditioning test the first time... and when he's done he'll say..."Hey coach, ya want me to do it again?

Nah, he'll probably do half the test, take TWO dumps and still finish in time.

That's right Fat Al. Kerrigan can even **** better than you!

Quick question for you guys, I wasn't able to watch the draft and was curious what the thoughts of the ESPN crew were when Gabbert fell to us. Did they think we'd take him and what was there reaction when we traded out?

When Locker was selected ahead of Gabbert, they actually started talking about Gabbert falling out of the top 10. They didn't talk about him going to us at all really... a lot of people on this board did tho haha

I'm still curious why didn't we just stay put and select Gabbert? I'm not saying Kerrigan won't be a great player...and I know we have a lot of needs. But you can't win without a good QB. Just seems odd that a top rated passer fell right into our laps at #10 and we decide to forego selecting a guy who fits our most pressing need. Was it the team's opinion that Blaine wasn't going to be the player many predict...or that we are truly better off with Kerrigan and an extra 2nd rounder in the long run? Hard to believe that you would pass on your franchise QB for an extra 2nd round pick.

I'm still curious why didn't we just stay put and select Gabbert? I'm not saying Kerrigan won't be a great player...and I know we have a lot of needs. But you can't win without a good QB. Just seems odd that a top rated passer fell right into our laps at #10 and we decide to forego selecting a guy who fits our most pressing need. Was it the team's opinion that Blaine wasn't going to be the player many predict...or that we are truly better off with Kerrigan and an extra 2nd rounder in the long run? Hard to believe that you would pass on your franchise QB for an extra 2nd round pick.

must've been the assessment.

I'll disagree with most and say this is a DAMN SEXY pick.

Sacks in the last 3 years (only years as a starter):

2008 - 7

2009 - 13

2010 - 12.5

When was it mandated that 30+ sacks is meh?

Received team's Pit Bull Award - Defense (exemplified and sustained tenacity and intense play) for spring practice

Tied for the all-time Football Bowl Subdivision record with 14 fumbles forced (Big Ten record) ... tied for second all-time at Purdue with 33.5 sacks ... fifth in Purdue history in tackles for loss with 57.0.

He's from Muncie, Indiana!! (alright, so that part is irrelevant, but what the heck)

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kerrigan_ryan00.html

Be excited. We added the right type of player, sure. But we added a very, very capable player. We will love his pursuit and closing speed... whether chasing QBs or RBs.

---------- Post added April-29th-2011 at 05:03 PM ----------

And you think this because.....? What evidence do you have that he was even on NE's board?

;

Maybe this had something to do with him thinking that...

http://www.theboilingpoints.com/2011/04/bill-belichick-talks-purdue-des.html

Bill Belichick Talks Purdue DE's

The Boiling Point: Bill Belichick talks about Purdue defensive ends.

In an interview with Boston.com (The Boston Globe), Bill Belichick talked about Purdue's defensive end tradition, also known as the Den of Defensive Ends. Ryan Kerrigan looks to be the next in line for this tradition. He is projected to go mid to late first round, with the Patriots a team he could be drafted by. Below is what Belichick had to say:

"When I found out Ryan Kerrigan was a really good high school basketball player, that intrigued me that he could make that kind of conversion…

Well you know Purdue doesn’t drop him a lot into coverage but they do it some and you can definitely see it. They’ve had a really good history with those outside rushers with Ray Edwards and Rosevelt Colvin. Of course we had Colvin and now (Rob) Ninkovich and Kerrigan coming out. So it’s been a very good, productive position for Purdue and they’ve had them every year it seems like and certainly Kerrigan looks like he’s another one that’s going to be part of that legacy. It’s an interesting position and one that that’s school has had a lot of success with".

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/4/12/2106158/kerrigan-compared-to-vrabel-projected-to-go-early

NFL Network's Mike Mayock indicated on Path to the Draft Monday night that plenty of teams believe Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan can play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.One 3-4 team we know for sure likes Kerrigan is San Diego. "I've heard Ray Edwards comparisons," said Mayock. "I've heard Mike Vrabel comparisons. That's good news for Ryan Kerrigan." It's good news because Kerrigan is "scheme versatile," and will appeal to every team in the draft. We can imagine him going as high as No. 11 to Houston, but not falling by New England at 17.

With Belichick and Mayock expressing some confidence this kid can play in the 3-4, along with our pick stating that WE believe he can, I feel pretty good about his chances.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/4/12/2106158/kerrigan-compared-to-vrabel-projected-to-go-early

NFL Network's Mike Mayock indicated on Path to the Draft Monday night that plenty of teams believe Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan can play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.One 3-4 team we know for sure likes Kerrigan is San Diego. "I've heard Ray Edwards comparisons," said Mayock. "I've heard Mike Vrabel comparisons. That's good news for Ryan Kerrigan." It's good news because Kerrigan is "scheme versatile," and will appeal to every team in the draft. We can imagine him going as high as No. 11 to Houston, but not falling by New England at 17.

Honestly, that's who I thought of immediately when thinking about Kerrigan. A guy who is big, an underrated athlete, a high motor, and someone who is going to give it his all on every play.

Plus, Dallas took another boilermaker in Anthony Spencer, and he's turned out pretty nicely. And Kerrigan was better in college than Spencer was. :)

I don't see both guys rushing off the edge at the same time very often, except in nickle situations. If Kerrigan can make the transition at this level, then it would make our pass rush less predictable. That's suppose to be one of the perks of the 3-4.

Archived