Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IIWII's Meaningless Mock Draft 2.0 updated (4/4/11)

Walking Deadman

version 2.0 is up

version 1.0 can be found below

http://walkingdeadmanblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/meaningless-mock-draft-2011-version-10.html

Meaningless Mock Draft 2011 Version 2.0

http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=2360796352997006721&postID=766778243829749845

(note: more graphics on the original version)

1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

To be honest, I hate this pick. You hire a defensive minded coach and yet the Panthers are entertaining the notion of taking either Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton over some highly talented D talent and a pretty good looking WR in A.J. Green. But here's the deal and it can be summed up in 2 often used draft cliches.

(1) "With new regimes come new quarterbacks"

(2) "If you need a franchise QB and have an opportunity to take a franchise QB, you must take him. Franchise QB need trumps all other needs"

Both are generally true. What makes this a sad choice is the fact that the Panthers drafted both Jimmy Clausen and Tony Pike last year. I haven't been a big Clausen supporter but to scrap the kid after one season with a lame duck coach and a team full of injuries and issues doesn't make much sense. Let's not forget that Clausen wasn't even supposed to see the field. Matt Moore was supposed to be the guy while Clausen developed.

I'm picking Newton over Gabbert because of the "Vick" factor that Newton brings. He'll sell jerseys and put butts in seats as the crowd "ooooh's and ah's" as Newton avoids rushers. Plus Newton is good in front of the camera.

Alternate Picks:

Blaine Gabbert

Marcell Dareus

2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DT/DE, Alabama

The Broncos could still take Von Miller here and I wouldn't be too surprised but I think Dareus would be the choice. What many forget is that when the Panthers were an elite team not only did they have Peppers but they had a guy like Kris Jenkins dominating the inside. With a healthy Dumervil and Robert Ayers moving back to a 4-3 scheme, the D line for Denver could be one of the Broncos stronger assets.

Alternate Picks:

Patrick Peterson

Da'Quan Bowers

Nick Fairley

Von Miller

3. Buffalo Bills: Von Miller, OLB/DE, Texas A&M

I still argue that the Bills biggest needs are on the D side of the ball. I also think that the Bills really want Cam Newton over Blaine Gabbert to draw fan interest and sell tickets. With Newton gone, the Bills start to focus on their D. While they need interior D-line help, they go after Miller who many consider one of the safer picks in this draft. Miller can be the 3-4 OLB that they hoped to get when they drafted Aaron Maybin back in '09.

Alternate Picks:

Blaine Gabbert

Patrick Peterson

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

I'm basing this pick primarily on Mike Brown and the trends that the Bengals usually make. This could be multiple players here. Nick Fairley makes sense based on his potential and possible character concerns. We also know that the Bengals could use a #1 WR and A.J. Green or Julio Jones could fit the bill. I'm making this pick because of the money factor. Johnathan Joseph is a free agent (if and when we ever see a new CBA) and Chad Ochocinco is still under contract, part of me really doubts that Brown will cut #85 before his contract is up and is doubtful to spend the big money on Joseph to keep him in Cincy. So they draft a rookie to replace him. Now if only Peterson could get in trouble he'd be a perfect fit for the Bengals.

Alternate Picks:

Nick Fairley

A.J Green

Julio Jones

5. Arizona Cardinals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

I can't see Gabbert getting past the 5th spot in the draft. While I see the Cardinals looking at a Marc Bulger to come in and have a Kurt Warner career revival, Gabbert would make the most sense to fill the void at franchise QB. The Cardinals do have some needs at D and if either Von Miller or Patrick Peterson were still available they could be serious options. Since they aren't in this mock, I'm going QB.

Alternate Picks:

Prince Amukamara

Robert Quinn

6. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

Colt McCoy needs weapons and while the D-line is a top priority, this draft is deep with D-linemen but limited in WR talent. The Browns go with the #1 WR here. Julio Jones is also a possibility if the Browns like his more physical skill set. If the Browns go D expect Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers or Robert Quinn as possible options.

Alternate Picks:

Julio Jones

Nick Fairley

Da'Quan Bowers

Robert Quinn

7. San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

One of the best players on the board is a player they can use to fill a serious need. Some consider Amukamara to be a better prospect than Peterson depending on scheme.

Alternate Picks:

Robert Quinn

Aldon Smith

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

The Titans have been looking for the next Albert Haynesworth since Haynesworth bolted to the Skins to lay on the field, mope, complain and make $32 million for doing very little. Fairley could be that guy. Extremely talented and explosive, Fairley reminded me of Albert Haynesworth during the BCS Championship game. He also reminds me of Haynesworth when it comes to character concerns. Still, the Titans get a major upgrade on the D line.

Alternate Picks:

Da'Quan Bowers

Cameron Jordan

Jake Locker

9. Dallas Cowboys: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

I just can't see the Cowboys taking an O-lineman at #9. It's not splashy enough for Jerry Jones. Plus, taking a guy with LT potential in Tryon Smith but never played LT at USC just doesn't make sense. Watt would replace Anthony Spenser at DE in the 3-4.

Alternate Picks:

Cameron Jordan

Jimmy Smith

Tryon Smith

Anthony Castonzo

10. Washington Redskins: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina

To be honest, I think that at #10 Julio Jones will be the pick. But the Redskins won't be the team making said pick. I still think the Skins will be trading back with St. Louis or another team, but if they stay at #10 Robert Quinn should be the guy. He looks like he'll be able to transition to OLB and would be a dominating force on the other side of Brian Orakpo.

Alternate Picks:

Julio Jones

Cameron Jordan

Aldon Smith

Jake Locker

Tryon Smith

11. Houston Texans: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri

It's top priority for the Texans to address their D (moving from 4-3 to 3-4). If they don't have the right personnel, they can expect to be at the bottom of the league in D just like the Skins were in 2010. Smith is a raw talent but should be able to be a powerful pass rusher in the 3-4.

Alternate Picks:

Cameron Jordan

Jimmy Smith

Phil Taylor

12. Minnesota Vikings: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

The Vikings are a bit of a wild card in this spot. They really need to find a starting QB with the retirement of Brett Favre. They also may need O-line and D-line help with age and free agency affecting the team. Da'Quan Bowers would be a good replacement for Ray Edwards if his knee is healthy and the coaching staff believe he'll be more than a one year wonder.

Alternate Picks:

Cameron Jordan

Jake Locker

Tryon Smith

Anthony Castonzo

13. Detroit Lions: Tryon Smith, OT, USC

The Lions had two years to find starting OT prospects to protect #1 draft pick Matt Stafford and have passed on them for other players (2009- Michael Oher, 2010 Russel Okung/Trent Williams). In both years, Stafford has headed to the IR. This year they can not pass on a guy who should eventually be protecting his blind side for the next 5-10 years. This is a bad year to look for an elite tackle prospect, but of all of them Tryon has one of the bigger upsides. Incredibly athletic, Tryon will have to learn a position he never played in college: Left Tackle.

Alternate Picks:

Anthony Castonzo

Nate Solder

Jimmy Smith

Akeem Ayers

Justin Houston

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

Like I have said before, I really believe that the Rams may try to trade down to grab Jones. If somehow that doesn't happen or if he doesn't fall to #14, expect the Rams to target a DT.

Alternate Picks:

Corey Liuget

Muhammad Wilkerson

15. Miami Dolphins: Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida

Surprise! I bet you thought I would have take the safe bet and picked Mark Ingram. Yes, the Dolphins have 3 RBs in free agency and yes, they have no problem drafting a RB high in the 1st. That said, this is a real deep draft for RBs and the Dolphins will try to improve their interior so whoever is there running back has holes to run through.

Alternate Pick:

Mark Ingram

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

Word of mouth is that that the Jags are high on DE Ryan Kerrigan who fits a need and displays the high character traits that G.M. Gene Smith looks in players. Don't be surprised however if they take a QB here however. The Jaguars are very good at the unexpected.

Alternate Picks:

Jake Locker

Christian Ponder

Cameron Jordan

17. New England Patriots: Cameron Jordan, DE, California

What a steal for the Pats here. Why is it that talented players just fall right into the Pats. lap? I am a huge fan of Cameron Jordan's work. He destroyed most of the senior tackle prospects at the Senior Bowl. Jordan could fit in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme but he should do well with the Patriots as good run stuffer who can penetrate and cause pressure on the the QB.

Alternate Picks:

Akeem Ayers

Justin Houston

Mark Ingram

Muhammad Wilkerson

18. San Diego Chargers: Muhammad Wilkerson, DT/DE, Temple

The Chargers are in a similar situation as the Pats in that they could use some upgrades on their D-line and OLB positions. What is the most intriguing thing about the Chargers currently is that they look like they are trying to trade up with New England to get their #28 pick. Are the Chargers trying to make a big jump up the 1st round or just see another player that they want at #28 who won't be there at #50 (their next pick)? Wilkerson should be an ideal run stuffer as a 3-4 DE and has been rising on many draft boards.

Alternate Picks:

Akeem Ayers

Justin Houston

19. NY Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

I just can't see Castonzo getting past the Giants at #19 despite my gut telling me that the Giants would rather draft a D-lineman. The trend tells me it should be a DT but I think the Skins will draft Castonzo in at LT and then move a player like Will Beatty around to fill other needs on the line. Still wouldn't be surprised if they went D-line here though.

Alternate Picks:

Marvin Austin

Corey Liuget

Gabe Carimi

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

Bucs need pass rush help and Clayborn at this point in the draft is the best player on the board at the position. The Bucs could look at LB at this point as well with Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston still on the board.

Alternate Picks:

Justin Houston

Akeem Ayers

Brooks Reed

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

Scott Pioli has been focusing a majority of the Chiefs 1st rounders on D line. Taylor could make that line elite with his addition. If they don't go after Taylor, the Chiefs have many other positions to fill including OL, OLB and WR

Alternate Picks:

Justin Houston

Brooks Reed

Gabe Carimi

Torrey Smith

22. Indianapolis Colts: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

Bill Polian has been arguing that the O-line has been a hinderance to the team's success for the past few seasons. The Colts draft Solder to help improve those efforts. Also, what would make free agent Peyton Manning more happy than to have the Colts draft somebody who will protect him from being killed on Sundays. Manning probably want to play until he's 40 or until he's been the spokesperson for every big named product that does commercials during NFL games.

Alternate Picks:

Gabe Carimi

Derrek Sherrod

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Gabe Carimi, OT/OG, Wisconsin

Andy Reid usually likes to draft either O-line or D-line in the 1st round and the O-line clearly needs some help. Carimi immediately comes in and can play a position. The good news for Eagles fans is at worst Carimi is a 3 position (RG, LG, RT) player at the NFL level. I really like Carimi and think he might be one of the better O-line prospects in the draft. Seems to be very blue collar and tough. Almost reminds me of some of the Skins during The Hogs era.

Alternate Picks:

Jimmy Smith

Brandon Harris

Derrek Sherrod

24. New Orleans Saints: Akeem Ayers: LB, UCLA

The Saints could use a DE here but many of the top DEs here are more tweeners than more classic DEs. Gregg Williams seems to like the bigger DEs who can run contain as well as pass rush. That said, I chose Ayers here. The Saints are at a need for LBs and Ayers could be like Marcus Washington was in his scheme with the Skins: A LB in run and short pass situations and a pass rusher in 3rd down and other passing situations.

Alternate Pick:

Justin Houston

25. Seattle Seahawks: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

I just don't see Jake Locker drafted here because if they do this not only have they spent a 3rd (and a hefty contract) on Charlie Whitehurst but then a 1st (and a somewhat hefty contract) on another QB who will need time to develop. More or less they are going to be in the same situation. Liuget on the other hand has value at this pick and is probably a day 1 starter.

Alternate Picks:

Jimmy Smith

Marvin Austin

26. Baltimore Ravens: Brandon Harris, CB, The U (Miami)

This is a tricky pick because the last few drafts both myself and Raven fan (and occasional IIWII contributer) have suggested the Ravens either address the WR or CB position. Each time, GM Ozzie Newsome goes in a totally different direction (2009- Michael Oher, 2010 traded out of the 1st eventually drafted Sergio Kindle and Terrence Cody). Newsome goes by value and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him take RB, Mark Ingram here. But since I'm focusing more on need I went with The U's Brandon Harris.

Alternate Picks:

Jimmy Smith

Torrey Smith

Derrek Sherrod

Any player that has fallen and is of high value

27. Atlanta Falcons: Justin Houston, DE, Georgia

The Falcons are looking for a DE and Houston could provide some nice speed on the other side of John Abraham. If Houston isn't there look for the Falcons to taget the BPA on their boards at either DE, WR or OL.

Alternate Picks:

Brooks Reed

Torrey Smith

Derrek Sherrod

Danny Watkins

28. New England Patriots: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

Another top pick falls into the Patriots lap. This is how the draft game is played and the Pats do tend to find ways to excel in the process. Ingram will help develop some play action and protect Tom Brady. Also, the Pats will be able to have a better TOP by running out the clock with a run after taking a big lead with Tom Brady's passing game.

Alternate Picks:

Danny Watkins

Brooks Reed

29. Chicago Bears: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor

The Bears have invested some serious draft picks and money into QB Jay Cutler, but if Cutler is injured or on his back that investment is useless. While the Bears could use an upgrade on the D-line, they must address their O-line if only to keep Cutler standing upright.

Alternate Picks:

Derrick Sherrod

Marvin Austin

Greg Little

30. New York Jets: Stephen Paea, DT/NT, Oregon St.

The Jets really missed Kris Jenkins on the D line last year and will look to replace him with a big, run stuffing tackle who can help collapse a pocket on occasion. If Paea is healthy, he should have no problem doing that with his strength. If they don't go this route, expect them to target a LB like a Martez Wilson or Brooks Reed.

Alternate Picks:

Martez Wilson

Brooks Reed

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

The Steelers have a serious need at the corner position and while Jimmy Smith has serious off field issues, the Steelers take him here to develop into a solid starting corner. The Steelers will hope to keep him out of trouble in the process. They could also target Aaron Williams at corner if Smith's off filed issues take him off Pittsburgh's board. The Steelers could also look at upgrading the O-line as well here.

Alternate Picks:

Derrek Sherrod

Ben Ijalana

Marcus Cannon

Aaron Williams

32. Green Bay Packers: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.

Despite winning a Super Bowl, the Packers will have some holes to fill in 2011. They could target OLB/DE Brooks Reed to provide a pass rush on the other side of Clay Matthews. They could use a WR like a Torrey Smith or a Randall Cobb to become Donald Driver's heir apparent. I think they'll target DE though to provide an interior pass rush and help improve the run D. Heyward should be a good fit for the team and the scheme.

Alternate Picks:

Brooks Reed

Torrey Smith

Randall Cobb

I wouldn't say Julio has injury concerns. He broke his foot, and that's all I know about. It happens, and it's not a joint problem either.

played with a broken hand throughout this past year. People thought he had drop issues come to find out it was a broken hand. Not a major concern I suppose, but the Skins already have a WR with numerous injuries.

Got to hand it to Jones though to perform like that at the combine with a broken foot is amazing, I just don't like drafting WRs this early.

Some of the mocks out there have Miller falling to 10. If that happens the Redskins should be running their pick up to the stage. If he is available at ten you have to take him. He is the only player that should prevent us from trading down.

In my opinion, there are a couple of players that would prevent us from trading down, were they available at #10. I don't think Miller is one of them, honestly.

In my opinion, there are a couple of players that would prevent us from trading down, were they available at #10. I don't think Miller is one of them, honestly.

Wondering who you are thinking about? In my opinion Miller and Peterson are the 2 best players in this draft. But I can guarantee Peterson does not get past Dallas.

Wondering who you are thinking about? In my opinion Miller and Peterson are the 2 best players in this draft. But I can guarantee Peterson does not get past Dallas.

Peterson and Gabbert, with Julio Jones a close 3rd. And that's assuming that the DL who are virtually guaranteed to go in the top 3-4 don't fall.

I really don't expect to see Peterson go past the 49ers at #7. Denver at #2 and Cincinnati at #4 could also take him, maybe Arizona as well.

I really don't expect to see Peterson go past the 49ers at #7. Denver at #2 and Cincinnati at #4 could also take him, maybe Arizona as well.

Peterson will go at 9 at the very latest. Apparently the cowboys have him ranked as the best player in the entire draft. I could see Von Miller possibly falling to us. I didn't think Brian Orakpo would be there when we picked in 2008.

Julio Jones is an option, but has injury issues and with no QB to throw to him (yet?) it doesn't seem worth it.

So if a WR is available you don't take him because you have a substandard QB? Really? I'm guessing the Texans are pretty happy they selected Andre Johnson even though it was a season or two before they got Matt Schaub.

So if a WR is available you don't take him because you have a substandard QB? Really? I'm guessing the Texans are pretty happy they selected Andre Johnson even though it was a season or two before they got Matt Schaub.

Well, if the Skins only needed a WR and there wasn't an elite pass rusher on the board, then what the hell. No slight to Jones, but if Quinn is there I'd take him over Jones most of the time. Now I like AJ Green more then Jones and if it came down to those tow it would be a tough choice.

I don't like drafting WRs this early....that's me.

Well, if the Skins only needed a WR and there wasn't an elite pass rusher on the board, then what the hell. No slight to Jones, but if Quinn is there I'd take him over Jones most of the time. Now I like AJ Green more then Jones and if it came down to those tow it would be a tough choice.

I don't like drafting WRs this early....that's me.

I kind of have a hard time seeing Shanahan taking a WR with the #10 overall pick, given the pretty good success he has had in finding quality receivers after the 1st round (Royal, Marshall) and even getting pretty good production from guys practically off the street (Armstrong). Plus, he apparently sees something in The Comb so who knows what his thought process is there. I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up a WR later. Is it possible? Sure. I just find it a bit unlikely considering his past with the position.

Archived