Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Deion Sanders: If Cowboys take Cam Newton, they're insinuating that Tony Romo will soon be done

tr1

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110301-deion-sanders-if-cowboys-take-cam-newton-they_re-insinuating-that-tony-Romo sits to pee-will-soon-be-done.ece

By SportsDayDFW.com

Former Dallas Cowboys cornerback and Hall-of-Famer Deion Sanders was interviewed on KESN-FM on Friday to discuss the draft and possibly drafting Cam Newton. Here are some highlights:

What do you make of Cam Newton throwing at the combine when no other quarterback did?

Great. I love it because he has to; his last game was horrendous. He didn’t play well in the championship game. I mean, trust me; I was really anticipating what I heard because I never really watched college football. So, to see him play, I was anticipating the statistics that I saw throughout the league and the year. And I didn’t see it; I saw nervousness in the pocket and anxiety and rushing throws. It wasn’t no poise. So he has to. He has to go through all the drills to prove himself.

If the Cowboys are up at No. 9 and Cam Newton is available, do you think they should do it?

Nuh uh. Don’t do it. I like [Tony] Romo sits to pee. Tony is not the kind of guy that you put a dog behind. You can’t do that; he’s going to look over his shoulder back at that dog because Tony didn’t come into the league heralded as ‘this guy’ like Peyton Manning. You could put whomever you want behind him, he doesn’t care. But a guy like Romo sits to pee, you can’t do him like that. You got to allow him the comfort level, understand this is his job and he’s the leader and let it be.

What if every scout for the Cowboys believes that when Romo sits to pee is done that Newton will be far and away the best quarterback in the NFL?

If you take Cam now, you’re insinuating that Romo sits to pee is going to be done really soon. And Romo sits to pee is going to be thinking, “Man, this guy is right behind me.” Then, he’ll start pressing and trying to make something happen instead of allowing them to happen. That’s not a good pick, for me.

Do you think that Cam Newton has what it takes to be a top three or four pick in the draft?

I got to see it. I didn’t see it in the championship game. It’s tough. That’s a lot of money you’re investing with that top pick. I know the promise…he has all the intangibles; he has the arm strength and all that but the decision-making process…and there’s only one Mike Vick. So you can forget all that running: rushing for a 1,000-yards in college because that’s not happening in the pros. You can ask Vince Young and any other guys that had the ability to run; it’s not going to happen. You have to sit back there and make decisions.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 12:42 PM ----------

Deion thinks that Romo sits to pee is a head case, just as I do.

:rotflmao:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110301-deion-sanders-if-cowboys-take-cam-newton-they_re-insinuating-that-tony-Romo sits to pee-will-soon-be-done.ece

By SportsDayDFW.com

Former Dallas Cowboys cornerback and Hall-of-Famer Deion Sanders was interviewed on KESN-FM on Friday to discuss the draft and possibly drafting Cam Newton. Here are some highlights:

What do you make of Cam Newton throwing at the combine when no other quarterback did?

Great. I love it because he has to; his last game was horrendous. He didn’t play well in the championship game. I mean, trust me; I was really anticipating what I heard because I never really watched college football. So, to see him play, I was anticipating the statistics that I saw throughout the league and the year. And I didn’t see it; I saw nervousness in the pocket and anxiety and rushing throws. It wasn’t no poise. So he has to. He has to go through all the drills to prove himself.

If the Cowboys are up at No. 9 and Cam Newton is available, do you think they should do it?

Nuh uh. Don’t do it. I like [Tony] Romo sits to pee. Tony is not the kind of guy that you put a dog behind. You can’t do that; he’s going to look over his shoulder back at that dog because Tony didn’t come into the league heralded as ‘this guy’ like Peyton Manning. You could put whomever you want behind him, he doesn’t care. But a guy like Romo sits to pee, you can’t do him like that. You got to allow him the comfort level, understand this is his job and he’s the leader and let it be.

What if every scout for the Cowboys believes that when Romo sits to pee is done that Newton will be far and away the best quarterback in the NFL?

If you take Cam now, you’re insinuating that Romo sits to pee is going to be done really soon. And Romo sits to pee is going to be thinking, “Man, this guy is right behind me.” Then, he’ll start pressing and trying to make something happen instead of allowing them to happen. That’s not a good pick, for me.

Do you think that Cam Newton has what it takes to be a top three or four pick in the draft?

I got to see it. I didn’t see it in the championship game. It’s tough. That’s a lot of money you’re investing with that top pick. I know the promise…he has all the intangibles; he has the arm strength and all that but the decision-making process…and there’s only one Mike Vick. So you can forget all that running: rushing for a 1,000-yards in college because that’s not happening in the pros. You can ask Vince Young and any other guys that had the ability to run; it’s not going to happen. You have to sit back there and make decisions.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2011 at 12:42 PM ----------

Deion thinks that Romo sits to pee is a head case, just as I do.

:rotflmao:

First of all........... Its Dion Sanders.....we are talking about. His opinion in who Dallas is taking in the draft is worthless.

Second....There is a >1% chance Dallas is taking Cam Newton anyway.....

and Third.....if they Do, I will lock myself out of football for a full year.

First of all........... Its Dion Sanders.....we are talking about. His opinion in who Dallas is taking in the draft is worthless.

sadly, we all might be locked out for a full year. Alas, I hope the cowboys do take newton, as I dislike both very much. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of QB Garret would mold him into being though

First part of the article where Deion says he didn't see the stats Newton put up through the year in the championship game, but what he put up in the championship game was pretty accurate for what he did during the season. I think he ran less in the championship game, which kept Oregon in the game. He only put the ball up 280 times during the season and ran for around 240 times. There were rare occasions (though he did do it) where he actually put up great passing stats in a game.

So you're saying there's a greater than 1% chance Dallas is taking Cam Newton?

:obvious:

• 3 weeks later...

1 Why do you say that?, and it is Deion the former Cowboy and still Dallas area dweller.

2 If Jerruh is drafing it can't be >1%, in fact it is fitty/fitty

3 Get the handcuffs ready.

God I hope the cowboys end up taking Cam Newton. That would be amazing and set them back a few years. Newton will never be a great NFL QB. In my opinion, he isn't even going to be as good as Vince Young. Romo sits to pee is a far better QB.

Please Jerry, take Cam! Give us something to laugh about on draft day. =D

Archived