Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rolling Stone: Another Runaway General: Army Deploys Psy Ops on US Senators

LeesburgSkinFan

Eh, I might have spoke too soon

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/02/25/army-gen-caldwells-accuser-had-no-psy-ops-training/

An Army officer who accused a top general in Afghanistan of using “psychological operations” against visiting lawmakers in an article in Rolling Stone magazine was not trained in the military specialty, Defense Department officials said.

The U.S. Army’s Special Operations Command announced Friday that their special warfare center has no record of training Lt. Col. Michael Holmes in “psychological operations.”

In an interview, Lt. Col. Holmes said he received training in information operations and how to use the psychological operation techniques but never claimed to have been trained as a psy-ops officer.

Looks like a complete non-story. Someone who may or may not have been trained in propaganda being assigned to work in the PR department.

What? You don't think it's unethical for the military to use psychological tactics on its own people that the law says are reserved for the enemy?

What? You don't think it's unethical for the military to use psychological tactics on its own people that the law says are reserved for the enemy?

Is it clear that psychological tactics were employed? Or that someone who is trained in those tactics got reassigned to a PR job. That may be against policy, but it didn't seem clear to me that visitors were targeted, only that there was a risk such activity could have taken place.

And like you'd need to use such tactics on McCain and Lieberman. :ols:

Is it clear that psychological tactics were employed? Or that someone who is trained in those tactics got reassigned to a PR job. That may be against policy, but it didn't seem clear to me that visitors were targeted, only that there was a risk such activity could have taken place.

And like you'd need to use such tactics on McCain and Lieberman. :ols:

Well, I guess you'd have to take this guy's word for it in this matter, but he did say that the visitors were targeted. You say it was just a risk, but I think it's a given that people trained in psy ops and told to work on an objective would be using their training. The leadership doesn't have the luxury of separating the two. It's like telling a hitman to 'take care' of your wife, and then in court arguing that you really just wanted him to keep an eye on her while you were on a work trip.

I was agreeing with Corcaigh about that, because he might not be telling the truth. I wouldn't necessarily take the word of those people in the link you provided either. Those sources would also seem to have motivations to lie.

The one where the guy says he specifically told psy ops to not use their IO techniques? Couldn't he have gotten other people to do the same job if it was so basic? Just saying that it's still fishy to me, but of course I don't know the truth.

Rollingstone used to be a great publication then Jann Wenner decided to turn it into another version of People magazine. It's really fallen far from what it once was. The policical hit pieces are among the worst they feature...and every other issue has a countdown of the greatest albums, songs or singers. It's become just a terrible rag.

Archived