Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FNN - Fox Confirms Broncos Switching Back To 4-3 Defense

HapHaszard

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/fox-confirms-broncos-switching-back-to-4-3-defense/

With 3-4 defenses all the rage in the NFL at least one newly hired head coach is going against the grain.

John Fox is transitioning the Denver Broncos back to a 4-3 next season.

“We’re going to be a multiple-front defense, but I think we’ll make the commitment to the 4-3,” said Fox, per the Denver Post (via PFT). “The transition from the 3-4 to 4-3 is much easier than going from the 4-3 to 3-4, I will say that. So we feel pretty confident about that switch.”

click on the link to continue reading

Doesn't that leave Elvis Dumervil, arguably their best defensive player, **** out of luck? Because he was mighty undersized in the 4-3...he's a tweener who found his place in that 3-4.

Could be a great story to watch now, What do they do with Dumervil? If he becomes available he'll be a commodity to watch for the 3-4 teams

Doesn't that leave Elvis Dumervil, arguably their best defensive player, **** out of luck? Because he was mighty undersized in the 4-3...he's a tweener who found his place in that 3-4.

Even as a 4-3 end he's an elite pass-rushing talent who managed 21 sacks in two seasons under Shanahan's 4-3 defense, so I don't think it will be too big of a problem depending on how they decide to use him.

Even as a 4-3 end he's an elite pass-rushing talent who managed 21 sacks in two seasons under Shanahan's 4-3 defense, so I don't think it will be too big of a problem depending on how they decide to use him.

Oh, wow. I don't know why I was under the impression that he didn't do much under Shanahan, and only flourished recently in the 3-4.

Oh, wow. I don't know why I was under the impression that he didn't do much under Shanahan, and only flourished recently in the 3-4.

In fact, technically, he's too small (short) to be a 3-4 OLB (of course, he's technically too small to play a 4-3 DE) and when they switched after Shanahan, people were worried that he'd have to go. The prototype 3-4 OLB is going to be at least 6-2. Dumervil is actually a bit of an exception to the physical measurements that either a 4-3 DE (although at 6-0 and 255, he's probably about as thick as you'd expect) or a 3-4 OLB usually have (at least 2 inches taller). He's probably closer to the minimum ht/wt measurements of a typical 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB.

Archived