Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: Footage Found of '50s LSD Experiment

JMS

What a peer pressurey type of thread. I think there must be a danger to suggesting that all try this and I would urge caution. Perhaps, a wonderful experience awaits... perhaps you get a foul dosage and are really messed up or somewhere in the middle. I don't think anyone should let others persuade them on if they choose to experience this stuff.

Full disclosure, I am a square and have never gotten high off any kind of drug. Mostly, because I dislike the idea of losing control of myself which seems inherit in these experiences whether benign or not.

I'd never press anyone into doing anything they're uncomfortable with. The worst thing you can do.

You, on the other hand, with your proclivity towards art and letting the mind wander, you would enjoy some acid immensely, I'd bet.

~Bang

It's a myth.

Here's a link to a neurscience for kids website :silly:

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

And drugs don't even affect what are considered more "mysterious" parts of the brain. We have a pretty good idea what they are doing for the most part, and nobody is claiming they are affecting parts of the brain that don't have "normal" functions and aren't regularly active.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17977517

Seems like you're drawing some pretty fine lines against the roller coaster analogy, and inventing categorical classifications about what is isolating and passive versus what is social and active, that are not necessarily true.

I can take my daughter on a roller coaster and share that experience with her. If I took psychedelic drugs with somebody we would not share the experience because our perceptions of each other would be warped. We would each have our own separate and potentially very different experience isolated from each other. That's not a fine distiction or inventing classifications... Drugs aren't a real expereience. They are select brain damage for entertainment purposes. Now there are levels of brain damage for sure. But the fact remains the only difference between using LSD and sticking an ice pick in your frontal lobe is orders of magnatude of the damage it causes.

How about 3d movies? Don't they meet this: "It's easy to mislead yourself that you experienced something new, or experienced something known in a new way. You didn't.

No you certainly did. If you have 10 guys there with you; you can compare notes and verify your experience. Movies definitely are one way to have experiences second hand and passively, but they are still experiences. Drugs are different. What you really experience when you are on drugs you are less connected too than clear of them. Not more connected too. The entire belief you are more clearly experiencing what's occuring around you is solely evident to you. It's a perception brought on by the drug, not an actual side effect.

If like when you had too many gin and tonics and you go up and talk to that girl you like. you think you are being smooth, but everybody else sees you sluring your words and sloshing your drink on yourself.

Drugs aren't for everyone, and Bang has backtracked from his categorical first post. I don't see what basis you have for judging people's subjective opinions and interpretations of what, if anything, experiences with drugs have meant to them.

I'm not judging anybody. I'm just stating facts. When you watched your favorite song on the radio dosed on LSD. It didn't actually happen. Your memory of that event is entirely the result of damage you did to your brain on that drug. That's a fact as is the fact that such drugs don't actually increase your concentration, appreciation, understanding, or ability to experience as was presented in this thread. All Psychedelic drugs do is distort what's happenning around you. It's mostly memorable for the novilty of the distortion.

"Drugs are an illegal narcotic, and having never taken drugs I can say that they have nothing to offer.”

~ Mr. Mackey

Psychedelics are not narcotics. Narcotics are also dangerous, but at least they have a practical benificial application, when perscibed by a doctor.

IPsychedelics are not narcotics. Narcotics are also dangerous, but at least they have a practical benificial application, when perscibed by a doctor.

In the late 50s an experiemtn was conducted on members of Alcoholics anonymous who simply could not stop drinking. They brought the test subjects in for a day, gave them LSD and therapy sessions in just that single day.

A year later 50% of their subjects had never touched another drop.

That sort of success has never been duplicated.

Hallucinogens have very powerful properties that can most certainly be used beneficially. It's been proven. But the stigma around ;hallucinogenics' keeps research stymied. There's very few places even allowed to work with the stuff.

~Bang

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 08:43 PM ----------

It's a myth.

Here's a link to a neurscience for kids website :silly:

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

:ols:

That is funny. I'm glad it's for kids, because they attempt to explain it by going the opposite wy and asking if we can operate if 90% of our brains were removed.

Hardly what I mean, and hardly what the phrase indicates.

There are people who's brains operate differently. There are people with extra-sensory perceptions, and there are people who are geniuses and savants, and there's people who are just plain stupid. there are brilliant people who can't remember where they left their pen, and there's drooling idiots who can count dates faster than a computer and play the piano like a master with no lessons.

The brain's "capacity" is what I refer to, What it's capable of, not how big it is.

We realy don't know the level that it's capable, because there are some who's mental capabilities far exceed yours and mine.

~Bang

I'd never press anyone into doing anything they're uncomfortable with. The worst thing you can do.

You, on the other hand, with your proclivity towards art and letting the mind wander, you would enjoy some acid immensely, I'd bet.

~Bang

There's nothing scarier to me than the idea that I might enjoy it immensely. (okay, there are plenty of things scarier like genocide, terrorists with nukes, Eagles' winning a Superbowl, but you get the point)

There's nothing scarier to me than the idea that I might enjoy it immensely. (okay, there are plenty of things scarier like genocide, terrorists with nukes, Eagles' winning a Superbowl, but you get the point)

Fess up Burgold you did the Cobblestone mosaic in your sig on it dint ya?? ;)

I was really pleased with the idea of the turtle shell that could be broken up into different pieces that represented different topics. I also like the drawing (if I must pat myself on the back) The cobblestone road is an actual cobblestone road that I manipulated a bit in photoshop.

Strangely or perhaps the opposite, you are far from the first to look at my art and think there was drug influence. :)

I guess if I can get into that drug state without drugs... I might totally get lost with them.

I hear that. It's one of the reasons I never smoked cocaine or tried any heroin derivitaves.

Acid isn't really habit forming tho. Mind you, i'm not trying to talk you into it.. but you strike me as the type who would enjoy it, make a nice painting, write something good, and that would be it.

I'll tell you what,, for a little contest.. one of the cartoons in my archive was conceived, written, performed and animated under the influence of LSD.

www.bangcartoon.com/archive.htm

Anyone want to guess?

;)

~Bang

Archived