Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: Footage Found of '50s LSD Experiment

JMS

Footage Found of '50s LSD Experiment

For your amusement this morning: While researching a book, author Don Lattin came across some footage of a 1950s television program in which a housewife takes LSD. It’s from a 1956 program at the Veteran’s Administration Hospital in Los Angeles. Dr. Sidney Cohen sits beside an unidentified housewife who says, “They were looking for normal people, so I volunteered,” and that she feels “a little nervous, perhaps.” He then instructs her to drink a liquid while explaining it contains LSD. Three hours later, she says, “Everything is in color and I can feel the air. I can see it, I can see all the molecules—I'm part of it. Can't you see it?" Dr. Cohen then asks her, “How do you feel inside?” She replies, "Inside? I don't have any inside."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/?cid=hp:cheatsheet10#cheatrow_23292

I disagree. Strongly. Some people should never touch the stuff.

Sadly, true. some people should never be let out of a cage to begin with.

Under the right circumstances, most folks should try this.

~Bang

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 04:41 PM ----------

I actually agree with you. :ols:

but if my kids ever do it, I'll whip their ass. :ols:

:ols: I agree with that as well.

~Bang

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 04:58 PM ----------

I disagree. To be well rounded I think there are many other things one can try. I think drugs in general are over-rated and pretty much a cop out.

Acid isn't like most 'drugs'.

It offers a powerful psychotropic effect, but it's not what I'd call a cop out type drug that folks use to mask themselves from reality.

In all honesty, if that is what you're trying to do and you take LSD, you're going to probably wig out on whatever you're trying to hide from.

A lot of drugs are exactly what you say,, thyey are coping devices or crutches that allow the user to exist in a euphoria that helps them forget their problems for a bit. Alcohol is like this.

LSD on the other hand will take that and magnify it. It won't act as a crutch, because it will focus you hard on why you need a crutch.

If there's one word I could use to describe tripping it would be "aware". You are completely aware of literally everythng around you. Not on the molecular level like that lady is describing, she's only saying it that way because she doesn't know any other way to say it. When she says "I wish I could talk to you in technicolor" I know exactly what she means, where someone else might hear just a loony person tripping.

You aren't "connected" to everything like they try to explain, you don't see any metaphysical ties between everything, but you are definitely more in tune with your surroundings. Aware.

One problem people have is that they forget they've taken a powerful psychotropic drug. They don't keep their foot on the floor. No matter what you think you're going thru when you're tripping, you have to just keep in mind that you're tripping and you'll be fine. I've never in my life had what anyone would call a "bad trip" and I've taken enough of this stuff to cover for everyone who has and will ever post in this thread until the day the internet dies. I've had good acid and I've had not so good acid,k and I've never had a 'bad trip'. A trip is only going to play on whatever you put in your mind, so if you take it to hide from problems it's the problems that are going to come out. After all, they're what's on your mind.

Decades ago the army did LSD experiments at a facility in MAryland on subjects suffering from various problems. In controlled dosages and simultaneous therapy sessions they were able to have alcoholics quit drinking, smokers quit smoking. 60 Minutes did a piece on this a bunch of years ago, and I wish I could find the old thing.

As with anything, people will abuse it. While I think LSD is a good thing, in no way should anyone ever drive, or do anything else even close. You should not take it and then quit your job and chase Phish around. You should do it somewhere you are comfortable and safe with people you know and trust. (and hopefully one you can have sex with. My goodness... sex on LSD is unfrigginREAL.)

And when it's done, you're done. No lingering effects, no burned out brain. I've never had anything even close to what they call a flashback. I keep waiting.

And FTR, my days of doing it are long done.. unfortunately you just can't trust anyone making things anymore, and I don't like the speedy surprises.

~Bang

Everything Bang said is exactly true.

I have my wild days very, very behind me and I have no regrets. I agree that if everyone could experience hyper-awareness they'd learn SO much about themselves. This hyper-awareness gives a brief gift of the ability to over-analyze everything. If you have a strong mind and are level headed, it will be a comfortable experience. If you have issues, it "could" be a hellish experience.

And when it's done, you're done. No lingering effects, no burned out brain. I've never had anything even close to what they call a flashback. I keep waiting.

~Bang

Hmmm. I had a good friend in college who was apparently burnt out after tripping every other day for an entire year. I didn't know him before he did that, but he was a classic burnout to be sure. He's a really smart guy but still has difficulty putting together a sentence that doesn't include the words "man," "like," or "what." Otherwise, I'd agree that you walk away with minimal after effects, based on first-hand experience. ;)

A cop out to what? LSD is a pretty damn unique experience, I agree with Bang, everyone should try it once.

Why stop there?:drooley:

I mostly agree, though would say it's definitely not for some people. If you're really high-strung and always feel the need to be in control, it might not be your cup of (purple) tea. I had a friend like that who tried it twice and had a horrible time both times.

obviously a poor choice of words on my part.

How about:

I advocate trying this at least once. :)

~Bang

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 06:59 PM ----------

Hmmm. I had a good friend in college who was apparently burnt out after tripping every other day for an entire year. I didn't know him before he did that, but he was a classic burnout to be sure. He's a really smart guy but still has difficulty putting together a sentence that doesn't include the words "man," "like," or "what." Otherwise, I'd agree that you walk away with minimal after effects, based on first-hand experience. ;)

****ing with your head every other day for a year is going to mess with you regardless of what it is you're doing.

Seriously, that isn't experiencing acid, that is binge tripping and abuse.

LSD is also unlike other things in that after you take it, you require some time before it will work again. You can't just take it again the next day and get the same result. To trip that often I'd bet he was taking four or five or six tabs at a time.

~Bang

I don't agree that everyone should try it. For some people (and for almost all people at certain "down" times of their life) it is too intense.

If I had taken such a drug (and I'm not admitting that I did) I surely wish that I would know better than to take it during a depressed period of my freshman year of college, when I was having trouble adjusting to living away from home, because there is a risk that it could lead to 24 hours of fevered dreams that my far-off family had abandoned me, or even worse, that they were all dead. In theory, if I took such a drug (and I'm not admitting that I did), that just might be exactly what would happen, and if so, it would be really awful and leave me with no interest in repeating the experience.

I suspect.

****ing with your head every other day for a year is going to mess with you regardless of what it is you're doing.

Seriously, that isn't experiencing acid, that is binge tripping and abuse.

LSD is also unlike other things in that after you take it, you require some time before it will work again. You can't just take it again the next day and get the same result. To trip that often I'd bet he was taking four or five or six tabs at a time.

~Bang

He had it all figured out so that he'd only need one hit per trip. It might have been tripping every third day or every 2.5 days, I dunno...

I know someone (not me) who tripped twice in 2 days and took four hits the second day, getting roughly the same intensity both days (theoretically). Or so I was told by Predicto. ;)

Archived