Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's build a defense around guys like this

andboom

"LaRon Landry was the top vote-getter at safety among fans voting for the Pro Bowl, according to vote totals released by the NFL this week.

Unfortunately, Landry will not be headed to Hawaii.

His season came to an end on Dec. 13 when he was placed on injured reserve due to an Achilles injury.

Landry received 208,112 votes in fan voting for the Pro Bowl."

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Landry_Tops_Pro_Bowl_Fan_Vote_At_Safety_181466.jsp (For Full story)

I just wanted to point out that this is the type of guy we should build our defense around. Nothing against Fletcher, I love the passion and enthusiasm he brings to the field week in and week out. Let's face it though, he's getting a little old for a team trying to rebuild, and he can only be our cornerstone for so long(note: I say this as he is currently tied 5th for combined tackles this year in the NFL... kicking self). LaRon Landry brings that something extra to the table though. Personally, I think he could tone down the ****iness, (I just don't think it's a good example the way he looms over players after he tackles them, even when it wasn't a hard hit.) as long as he maintains his confidence. If it requires ****iness to have confidence... I can deal with it lol. On a serious note, Landry has only played in 9 games this year. Yet, he is still in the top 50 in the NFL with combined tackles, currently tied at 47th with our own DeAngelo Hall (both with 85 combined tackles). 66 of Landry's tackles were solo with 19 asst, and 1 sack (Hall 57 solo, 28 asst, 0 sack if anybody was interested). He also has 1 pick, and a FF this year. 4 of his 9 games he was in the double digits in (combined) tackles. He is the beast in the NFC East, and I think he is quite a solid cornerstone for this defense in years to come. I think it is awesome that he picked up the most votes at safety for the fan-voting portion of the Pro Bowl selections. He was recognized for his talents, and I think the Skin's need to build around him. HTTR.

I think Fletcher has 2-3 more years in him if he wants to play that long. I say we keep him until he retires.

I agree 100%. I wouldn't dare get rid of him. I just don't think that he is the cornerstone for the next 5-10 yrs (not saying Landry is either). I just don't think he has but a few years left.

We have too many holes to be replacing Fletcher right now, his performance isn't the problem.

The call to go young is to get the hunger to perform out on the field. Fletcher has that so while he can perform we should keep him, be it as a starter next year or as depth the year after. It's the mindset we want and Fletcher has it meaning we can build a young team around the likes of Landry without the need to replace Fletcher now.

Don't bracket Fletcher with other older players who do not perform at high levels anymore despite having the right team first attitude. On top of that in a few years time I think Fletcher would make a great addition to any coaching staff, I'm hoping it's ours. There's no better way to show the way than by having walked what you talk.

I dont really agree with this one.

Landry is inconsistent in coverage, inconsistent with is tackling, plays out of control, and then we have to talk about the posing.

Landry plays football like a villain pro wrestler. He might drop coverage or blow a tackle. But you know when he makes a play, even if its 15 yards up field. He wont hesitate to pop up and hit that pose (and to be real, that dude is swole, he should be posing).

I give him huge props for bringing intensity and working incredibly hard on being physically ready. Purely based on that he makes a good number of plays and has the potential to be a perrenial probowler. However, a huge chunk of the game is mental and focus of which he hasnt show the ability to bring 100% of the time.

Im not sure theres a guy on D I would really build around except for Orakpo. He has his obvious strengths. He also has his weaknesses. He misses some plays, doesnt have a diverse move arsenal but he has one thing that I give him huge credit for. He recognizes he can improve. I remember in the offseason he himself noticing he didnt force fumbles and wanted to learn how. Of course, he hasnt really been able to get these fumbles but recognizing key areas and trying to improve on them is an attitude I want to see on the team.

We have too many holes to be replacing Fletcher right now, his performance isn't the problem.

The call to go young is to get the hunger to perform out on the field. Fletcher has that so while he can perform we should keep him, be it as a starter next year or as depth the year after. It's the mindset we want and Fletcher has it meaning we can build a young team around the likes of Landry without the need to replace Fletcher now.

Don't bracket Fletcher with other older players who do not perform at high levels anymore despite having the right team first attitude. On top of that in a few years time I think Fletcher would make a great addition to any coaching staff, I'm hoping it's ours. There's no better way to show the way than by having walked what you talk.

You guys are missing the point. This isn't about Fletcher. I haven't bracketed him with people that don't perform at high levels. "note: I say this as he is currently tied 5th for combined tackles this year in the NFL". I think Fletcher should be here until he is ready to call it quits, and I think that he is a starter on our team, as well as many teams in the NFL. Read the post. This is in NO WAY ABOUT FLETCHER, and certainly is in NO WAY ABOUT CANNING FLETCHER. This is about Landry's performance, and how much of an impact that he has. This is about a whole lot of young talent bundled up in one man who is a leader on this defense, how he contributes to this defense in a significant way, and how the public has noticed that by voting for him in the Pro-Bowl selection so much that he received the most votes as a safety. The title is "Let's build a defense around guys like this", not "Let's ****can one of the best guys on our defense"

Landry is easily our best D player. Between the work he puts in studying film & in the gym he has set a standard for other players on the team. London doesn't have much left in the tank.

Orakpo had a down year (like Landry did in 08) and he can bounce back (Landry is proof). He is no doubt a pillar on D.

Coach Shanahan loves his defensive backs (CB, SS, FS).

Hail Landry!

Landry is inconsistent in coverage, inconsistent with is tackling, plays out of control, and then we have to talk about the posing.

Landry plays football like a villain pro wrestler. He might drop coverage or blow a tackle. But you know when he makes a play, even if its 15 yards up field. He wont hesitate to pop up and hit that pose (and to be real, that dude is swole, he should be posing).

I give him huge props for bringing intensity and working incredibly hard on being physically ready. Purely based on that he makes a good number of plays and has the potential to be a perrenial probowler. However, a huge chunk of the game is mental and focus of which he hasnt show the ability to bring 100% of the time.

Im not sure theres a guy on D I would really build around except for Orakpo. He has his obvious strengths. He also has his weaknesses. He misses some plays, doesnt have a diverse move arsenal but he has one thing that I give him huge credit for. He recognizes he can improve. I remember in the offseason he himself noticing he didnt force fumbles and wanted to learn how. Of course, he hasnt really been able to get these fumbles but recognizing key areas and trying to improve on them is an attitude I want to see on the team.

I agree with Orakpo 100%, another cornerstone in this hurting defense. I don't agree with your take on Landry, but that's just my opinion. Inconsistent in coverage I agree with. Inconsistent with his tackling I can't believe. How can a guy be in the top 50 in the NFL in tackles, after only playing 9 games out of 14 this year and be inconsistent with tackles? Would consistency mean making every tackle on every play? I like Orakpo a lot a whole lot, but he is just like Landry in that he has weaknesses. I never said Landry is perfect, just like i said "Let's build a defense around guys like this" guys including Orakpo's as well. Yes he misses a tackle or two, but so does everybody else. I think Orakpo is one of our impact players for MANY years to come and make a HUGE impact. I just think that Landry is also one of those players. He needs to work on his coverage, and if he wants to strike a pose, call a magazine to pose in gets on my **** nerves. Also, don't discount the type of havoc he would cause when blitzing. He may not have had sacks, but when Landry was blitzing, we ACTUALLY had pressure on the QB (Hall hasn't had a pick since Landry was out). I'm not saying he is THE answer, I am saying he is AN answer to ONE position on our hurting defense

We need to switch back to the 4-3. Making a switch to a good 3-4 will take at least, at least 3 more drafts. Trying to time that with fixing our offense is nearly impossible.

HOrse Hockey. The switch has already begun, and it will take just next year to start to see the improvement. The TO's are now there, they need a true NT, two LBers and a FS to make the improvements. Landry is good at SS, and London is good where he is, it is the other LBers that need to go, and yes even Perry Rielly showed some potential.

Well said, other than I think you've overstated his deficiencies a little bit. I don't see Landry as a leadership type guy, at least not at this stage of his career. That said, he'll be a cornerstone of the D's rebulding effort. You want guys like him on your defense, you just don't want him as a team leader.

I agree 100%. I wouldn't dare get rid of him. I just don't think that he is the cornerstone for the next 5-10 yrs (not saying Landry is either). I just don't think he has but a few years left.

I think Landry could be. He was having a Polamalu-like season before he got hurt, and when he's 100%, he's just as good as Pola, if not better.

I agree with Orakpo 100%, another cornerstone in this hurting defense. I don't agree with your take on Landry, but that's just my opinion. Inconsistent in coverage I agree with. Inconsistent with his tackling I can't believe. How can a guy be in the top 50 in the NFL in tackles, after only playing 9 games out of 14 this year and be inconsistent with tackles? Would consistency mean making every tackle on every play? I like Orakpo a lot a whole lot, but he is just like Landry in that he has weaknesses. I never said Landry is perfect, just like i said "Let's build a defense around guys like this" guys including Orakpo's as well. Yes he misses a tackle or two, but so does everybody else. I think Orakpo is one of our impact players for MANY years to come and make a HUGE impact. I just think that Landry is also one of those players. He needs to work on his coverage, and if he wants to strike a pose, call a magazine to pose in gets on my **** nerves. Also, don't discount the type of havoc he would cause when blitzing. He may not have had sacks, but when Landry was blitzing, we ACTUALLY had pressure on the QB (Hall hasn't had a pick since Landry was out). I'm not saying he is THE answer, I am saying he is AN answer to ONE position on our hurting defense

I dont disagree with your take on Landry being an asset. The thread was titled about building a defense around guys. I took building to be more a total package assesment. Landry is absolutely a guy who helps the D and you want on your team. No biggie.

My point about Landry's tackling is legit though. He still does sell out for the big hits. No where near as bad as it was last year. Lets be real, do a google search for "Laron Landry Tackling" and the 4th result is a critique on Landry's tackling (from past years). Hes far better now, but way too wild still.

You are totally right about Landry's effectiveness. The D was at its best when he was flying around. My only problem with that is in order for the defense to be functional, players like Landry have to turn in a superhuman like performance every single play. I just wish we had more player who either gave effort like that or had higher talent levels or physical abilities.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2010 at 11:13 AM ----------

While we are at it. Lorenzo Alexander aka the One Man Gang. Soon to be renamed Akeem the African Dream.

Gives it everything. Plays everywhere. Improves nearly every week. Love to have a roster of those guys.

Landry is easily our best D player. Between the work he puts in studying film & in the gym he has set a standard for other players on the team. London doesn't have much left in the tank.

Orakpo had a down year (like Landry did in 08) and he can bounce back (Landry is proof). He is no doubt a pillar on D.

Coach Shanahan loves his defensive backs (CB, SS, FS).

Hail Landry!

You think Orakpo had a down year? He's playing a whole new position and still managed 8 sacks...not to mention everything else he's brought each week

You think Orakpo had a down year? He's playing a whole new position and still managed 8 sacks...not to mention everything else he's brought each week

Yes, he had a down year. I'm sure he would say the same thing. He has the ability to be more dominating than DeMarcus Ware, so an 8 sack season is considered a "down year"

+1

---------- Post added December-23rd-2010 at 04:09 PM ----------

Why so many tackles?? Hes playing closer to LOS alot of times. I have seen quite a few times when he is back, take HORRIBLE angles. If we can replace ST eventually (ball hawk) at FS and let him play freely v/s run like Colts like playing Sanders (when healthy), he might live up to #7 pick overall.

^^^ If you were talking about Landry last season I'd totally agree, but did you even watch him play this year? Strong Safety's don't do a lot of covering and his tackling was far above average this season. He got burned in coverage because he had a messed up achilles if you mean that second Philly game.

Maybe the title needs changing?

Yeah Landry is developing into a great player. That being said if we're gonna pick one guy I'm going with Orakpo. He's got it all off the field too.

No the title is right, people need to read it as it is not as they choose to. It says GUYS like this. It doesn't say LL is the future of this defense and the rest of the team can take a hike. I'm saying that we need to build a defense around guys like LL. guys that get respect from other teams as well as fans across the board. guys like Orakpo, guys like Fletcher. I just saw the article this morning about him getting the most votes for the Pro-Bowl as a safety, and I thought that it was a good way to point out that it is guys like him (and Rak, and Fletcher) that get people's attention, as well as bring results.

Archived