Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Shanahan was right, and he knows more about football than you do.

Commander PK

I think the only one eating crow is you. What's the sense in knowing the offense to throw interceptions and fumbles. The fact is Shannahan may know more about Football than me and many posters on this board, however common sense will ALWAYS win out. Rex Grossman is still a bumb, he came into this season over weight, fat and living on the fact that Shanny got rid of McNabb for him to run this team, well he ran it right into the ground Sunday with 4 interceptions. I personally think we need to cut him and be done with anything even remotely linked to Rex Grossman cause he is GROSS!!! GROSS to watch, GROSS!!!!! I will love watching him on the bench sulking as he did Sunday. I wish I know his address cause I would send him a pacifier to suck on cause he has no one to blame but himself and his stupid decision making.
What would I have done differently. Well the first thing is NOT trying to turn a turd into a gold nugget as Father and Son tried to do with Sexy Rexy. As much as you all don't second guess Coach Mike, sorry trying to change certain things just won't happen and I don't care how many superbowls you have won. The weak link on this team is and has been Rex Grossman from the start of the season. Heck you know what you get with Rex, consistent bad decisions and interceptions and fumbles. Beck is a highly unknown commodity. The one thing I do know is Beck won't fumble and throw blatent interceptions as Rex HAS AND CONTINUES too :evilg:. I might get flamed but I wasn't the one that started this silly thread and talk about eating crow, evidently Painkiller and you and anyone else making dumb comments has an issue with me cause I am a newbie on here, maybe you might do better explaining how Rex is still our best option at QB, cause that sure isn't a pig that flying....:pfft:

First off, I guess to an extent I should have expected this. Maybe I deserve it, for bumping this thread for items that really had nothing to do with the original premise of the thread. Sue me for being happy the team was proving Coach right, instead of proving him wrong. However, I will say this much.

The fact is, as bad as Rex was Sunday, he did run this offense much better than McNabb did, which was the original premise of the thread. MUCH better. McNabb didn't throw passes to the other team, because his sorry ass couldn't even complete a pass to anybody on the Redskins either.

Shanahan did make the decision to bring McNabb here. He gave up 2 draft picks to get the guy because he believed in him, and McNabb thanked him for his belief in him by half-assing everything and stinking up the joint. Incidentally, just like he has in Minnesota. Where he also has been benched this week by a black head coach for a white back-up, so obviously McNabb's failure in D.C. isn't because white Shanahan is a racist.

Rex came in and immediately ran the offense better, so excuse me for trying to be the optimistic fan last November. When many of our fans expected that Rex wouldn't even be able to find his way to the field. The truth is, McNabb ****ed this team when he was an Eagle, and he ****ed this team while he was a Redskin, and he's STILL ****ing this team now, because his failure here is why we are where we are. McNabb was supposed to be "the guy," and I honestly hoped and believed that he would do a great job. He didn't. I hoped once Rex came in HE would be "the guy." He hasn't. Now I hope John Beck is "the guy."

If some of you are so quick to come down on Shanahan, I have news for you. If Mike Shanahan doesn't work out, or is run out of town for not delivering immediate results I don't know what the **** the next move will be, because NOBODY is going to want to work for this organization. Zorn was prove of that. Does anybody really believe that if anybody, and I mean ANYBODY better was actually trying to get the job they wouldn't have been hired?

Unlike some of you, I'm more concerned with the team winning, than being proven right in my assessment of this coach or that player. If I jumped the gun a bit on Rex, so be it, but at least I can still have faith. If I'm a "blind homer" for having faith in the head coach who has 3 rings, that he knows what he is doing over the long-term, so be it.

For "fans" like you, I honestly wonder why you even bother. The team is 3-2, and still in the hunt. The Quarterback you seem to hate for some reason has been benched for the backup. Yet, the best you can do is come in here and gloat over a thread I've already said should be put to rest last month?

Pathetic

Rex Grossman was a FA, Beck was acquired for Doug Dutch, neither of these players were chosen, they just happened to fall into starting positions on a re-building team due to circumstances outside their own power.

What was invested into every player has to be taken into account. So far we've invested Doug Dutch, and a re-building season.

You left out McNabb's trade for a 2nd and 3rd (not cheap) and the fact that TIME is an investment. Losing a year on a bad decision is not small mistake if Beck fails we've gone the wrong direction at QB for 2 years and counting.

So tell me NewCliche21 what was wrong with what I said? Did he not show up over weight? YEAH HE DID! Did he not throw 4 picks Sunday? YEAH HE DID! Can he blame anyone else for his poor decision making Sunday? NO HE CAN'T! Let's also admit that since game one his decision making skills and his overall play has decreased....YEAH IT HAS......So just cause I call someone out please don't take it so serious. Cause honestly maybe you might be a Rex Minion but me, sorry he sucked in Chicago and he sucks here, PERIOD. Hell even Brunell wasn't this bad...............

Whoa there, Sally. Take a Xanax and try to find what you were quoting and see where I'm defending Grossman. I mean, even what you semi-quoted (not quite sure how you got that kind of formatting, but, okay) shows that I'm not a Grossman fan. I'm not ANY quarterback's fan; I'm a Redskins fan. As long as it's not the dog killer or the rapist, I'll take him on our team if he's a winner.

However, you need to check your priorities as a fan. You are happy that Grossman failed, and that's pathetic and anti-Redskins. He was our quarterback, and since he was bad, we were bad, and it's reflected in our record. Any real fan puts personal bias against a player AFTER the team. I'd much rather have a 5-0 record with a great Grossman than a 3-2 record with a failed Grossman and a reason to call someone out. That's just not what a real fan does.

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 08:13 PM ----------

Shanny better hope Beck works out because hes wasted 3 years trying to figure QB out.

. . . Shanahan has been coach since 2010.

McNabb was a mistake. Other than that, he hasn't made one because no quarterbacks have been available, unless you wanted to trade two firsts for a retired Carson Palmer.

We'll get our quarterback in April. I'm not quite sure what you wanted him to do since he got here.

First off, I guess to an extent I should have expected this. Maybe I deserve it, for bumping this thread for items that really had nothing to do with the original premise of the thread. Sue me for being happy the team was proving Coach right, instead of proving him wrong. However, I will say this much.

The fact is, as bad as Rex was Sunday, he did run this offense much better than McNabb did, which was the original premise of the thread. MUCH better. McNabb didn't throw passes to the other team, because his sorry ass couldn't even complete a pass to anybody on the Redskins either.

Shanahan did make the decision to bring McNabb here. He gave up 2 draft picks to get the guy because he believed in him, and McNabb thanked him for his belief in him by half-assing everything and stinking up the joint. Incidentally, just like he has in Minnesota. Where he also has been benched this week by a black head coach for a white back-up, so obviously McNabb's failure in D.C. isn't because white Shanahan is a racist.

Rex came in and immediately ran the offense better, so excuse me for trying to be the optimistic fan last November. When many of our fans expected that Rex wouldn't even be able to find his way to the field. The truth is, McNabb ****ed this team when he was an Eagle, and he ****ed this team while he was a Redskin, and he's STILL ****ing this team now, because his failure here is why we are where we are. McNabb was supposed to be "the guy," and I honestly hoped and believed that he would do a great job. He didn't. I hoped once Rex came in HE would be "the guy." He hasn't. Now I hope John Beck is "the guy."

If some of you are so quick to come down on Shanahan, I have news for you. If Mike Shanahan doesn't work out, or is run out of town for not delivering immediate results I don't know what the **** the next move will be, because NOBODY is going to want to work for this organization. Zorn was prove of that. Does anybody really believe that if anybody, and I mean ANYBODY better was actually trying to get the job they wouldn't have been hired?

Unlike some of you, I'm more concerned with the team winning, than being proven right in my assessment of this coach or that player. If I jumped the gun a bit on Rex, so be it, but at least I can still have faith. If I'm a "blind homer" for having faith in the head coach who has 3 rings, that he knows what he is doing over the long-term, so be it.

For "fans" like you, I honestly wonder why you even bother. The team is 3-2, and still in the hunt. The Quarterback you seem to hate for some reason has been benched for the backup. Yet, the best you can do is come in here and gloat over a thread I've already said should be put to rest last month?

Pathetic

Whoa wait a minute here, first off I am not gloating. I am simply stating that Grossman stinks period. He did in Chicago and he stinks here, and personally I don't even think he beat Beck out but that is up for discussion. You can't fault me for being the type of fan I am because I remember the good days, how Washington and the area would shut down to have parades after we won the Superbowl. I am 45 years old and a season ticket holder, I put more money in Snyder's pocket that you probably do and I think after 2 plus decades and now having to see my Redskins the media laughing stocks and then having to see of all people REX GROSSMAN throw games away, I can say what I want to say, this is America. I don't care about McNabb because that was a stupid trade anyway, again common sense why would a division rival trade away a starting QB that has been the face of thier franchise?? Come on be real because he isn't a threat anymore. Watching McNabb in Minnesota proves what I said all along but I don't want to go off on a McNabb tangent, the issue was this initial thread, about Shanahan knowing more and Grossman starting and to eat crow. Grossman isn't the answer, isn't a stop gap IMO. I think Beck will do better that many people expect. In the end we all love the Redskins and for me I know we are close, seeing Grossman just angers me cause the coaching staff should know better.

Just for sake of argument, McNabb's first 5 games last year, compared to Grossman's first 5 this year:

McNabb (Record: 3-2; Wins: DAL, GB, PHI; Loss: STL, HOU)

96/170 for 1315yds, 4TD/3INT, 0 fumbles

Grossman (Record: 3-2; Wins: NYG, ARI, STL; Losses: DAL, PHI)

92/165 for 1132 yds, 6TD/9INT, 2 fumbles

Could be argued that Rex had better OL, running game, receivers and defense then DM did as well.

Just for sake of argument, McNabb's first 5 games last year, compared to Grossman's first 5 this year:

Could be argued that Rex had better OL, running game, receivers and defense then DM did as well.

This is a good point. Neither Grossman or McNabb were any good. I was somewhat fooled by Rex (though, I knew the bad was coming) but I thought we'd see more good from than we did after the first game.

Grossman's demeanor during his press conferences isn't even comforting. The guy said he played well in the previous four games prior to this week. I completely and utterly disagree with that assessment. He's played awful or mediocre in all four of those games since he played well in game one. Grossman is better than McNabb for one reason and one reason only. He didn't cost us draft picks to stink. McNabb stunk and was the gift that kept giving.

You left out McNabb's trade for a 2nd and 3rd (not cheap)

I figured it was a given that was a mistake.

and the fact that TIME is an investment.

From the post you quoted

So far we've invested Doug Dutch, and a re-building season.
Losing a year on a bad decision is not small mistake if Beck fails we've gone the wrong direction at QB for 2 years and counting.

It's better than sticking with someone for years and hoping they turn into something, as far as last year is concerned. I don't look at this season as a lost year because of the QB position, I look at it as a lost year because we're rebuilding across the board, and setting the table for a future QB to join this team.

I prefer that method than reaching on a QB because the team doesn't currently have someone. To each their own though. I'm more of a supporting cast guy than most. I think a #1 WR is going to be key in the development of our next QB. Hopefully someone already on the team Paul/Hankerson can turn into that guy, but I don't know if that's something the Redskins should be counting on. I really think a 1st-2nd rd draft pick next year should be invested in a WR if their is one who is worth it where we are picking.

Whoa wait a minute here, first off I am not gloating. I am simply stating that Grossman stinks period. He did in Chicago and he stinks here, and personally I don't even think he beat Beck out but that is up for discussion. You can't fault me for being the type of fan I am because I remember the good days, how Washington and the area would shut down to have parades after we won the Superbowl. I am 45 years old and a season ticket holder, I put more money in Snyder's pocket that you probably do and I think after 2 plus decades and now having to see my Redskins the media laughing stocks and then having to see of all people REX GROSSMAN throw games away, I can say what I want to say, this is America. I don't care about McNabb because that was a stupid trade anyway, again common sense why would a division rival trade away a starting QB that has been the face of thier franchise?? Come on be real because he isn't a threat anymore. Watching McNabb in Minnesota proves what I said all along but I don't want to go off on a McNabb tangent, the issue was this initial thread, about Shanahan knowing more and Grossman starting and to eat crow. Grossman isn't the answer, isn't a stop gap IMO. I think Beck will do better that many people expect. In the end we all love the Redskins and for me I know we are close, seeing Grossman just angers me cause the coaching staff should know better.

but like I said. The starting QB of the Redskins was supposed to be Donovan McNabb....for at least 2 or 3 years. They traded two picks for him. When McNabb failed he had to be replaced with somebody, and Rex was the backup because he had worked with Kyle in Texas and he knew the system. Rex wasn't brought here to be the starter, and he never would have unless McNabb went down. When Rex came in, for whatever reason he did perform better than McNabb. We can argue about whether he should have or not, but he did. Over the long-term, Rex's performance continued to diminish this season culminating with last Sunday's debacle. Now we get to see if John Beck can be the guy.

it's not like there was another option. Sure, they could have gone with Beck for Game 1 up until this point, but they decided on the vet who knew the system. The lockout prevented any serious consideration for another option after McNabb failed.

but like I said. The starting QB of the Redskins was supposed to be Donovan McNabb....for at least 2 or 3 years. They traded two picks for him. When McNabb failed he had to be replaced with somebody, and Rex was the backup because he had worked with Kyle in Texas and he knew the system. Rex wasn't brought here to be the starter, and he never would have unless McNabb went down. When Rex came in, for whatever reason he did perform better than McNabb. We can argue about whether he should have or not, but he did. Over the long-term, Rex's performance continued to diminish this season culminating with last Sunday's debacle. Now we get to see if John Beck can be the guy.

it's not like there was another option. Sure, they could have gone with Beck for Game 1 up until this point, but they decided on the vet who knew the system. The lockout prevented any serious consideration for another option after McNabb failed.

Agreed it was a bone head decision to bring McNabb in but I guess they thought he had something left. He didn't and doesn't and that is obvious. I really hope Beck can at the very least be servicable for the next 1-2 years. Hail!!

Just considering the defense alone. Here's the 2 losses we had at this point in time last year:

September 19 4:15 p.m. EDT Houston Texans L 27–30 (OT) 1–1 FedEx Field CBS Recap

September 26 4:05 p.m. EDT at St. Louis Rams L 16–30 1–2 Edward Jones Dome Fox Recap

The most points this years defense has given up is 21, with an average of 16.6. That would've won us the houston game and made the rams game a coinflip. If we had this defense last year, or if we had last years mcnabb, this year...

Then again you know what they say about if your aunt had...(you know the rest)

I guess the fact of the matter is, its fun to do these "what ifs" but we are what we are, and for me personally i'm hoping what we are is simply a sound football team who can begin to play solid football week in and week out, not be some jekyll & hyde show.

A couple of teams have made mid season qb switches due to performance and won the Superbowl. Trent Dilfer stepped in for Tony Banks for Baltimore in 2000, and Terry Bradshaw stepped in for Joe Gilliam in 1974. Both ended up being Super Bowl winners.

• 2 weeks later...
Not to sound like a blind follower, but I'm certainly not willing to give up on this process or Shanahan. That's what we always do.

We're struggling, but Shanahan still knows more about football than you or anyone one else in the media.

Yup, I'm riding with John Beck until the wheels fall off. Wish we had Andy Dalton but whatever, Beck will do.

im pretty sure he knew both of these guys were garbage from the get go.

why in the world would you publically stake your reputation on 2 guys you really thought were garbage?

i mean.. you don't have to trash them in the media.. you can simply say that you remain confident in your QB's even if you think they are trash. But publically staking your reputation on them is a different matter entirely.

why in the world would you publically stake your reputation on 2 guys you really thought were garbage?

i mean.. you don't have to trash them in the media.. you can simply say that you remain confident in your QB's even if you think they are trash. But publically staking your reputation on them is a different matter entirely.

that quote gets waaaaay too inflated. it could have been a simple mistake, "yeah i stake my reputation on these guys". i mean seriously, its one sentence that he gets held to as if this is like his concrete definite be all end all comment of all time.

he'd probably take it back if he could. and if you watch enough shanahan in the news, he hates the media and would tell them anything just to get out of an interview. so that quote is just waaaay too blown out of proportion.

Archived