Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Show Yesterday - Two Quotes to Reflect On

TSO

I figured this disgustingly negative cesspool that is ES right now needs nothing more than to listen to their head coach speak. I can tell by reading the vast majority of posts presently that the opinions given are based on media reports who've selectively quoted players and coaches, and not based on the actual press conference given by Shanahan nor the interviews by the players.

I'm not going to go over those conferences or interviews myself. Frankly, if people want to give opinions based on nothing more than a misplaced contextual quote given by a member of our wonderful mainstream media, that's their ignorant prerogative.

But I'd like to post these two quotes from Shanahan straight out of the Mike Shanahan Show that aired yesterday, in the hopes that it can stimulate some brains:

Well, obviously, if this was a playoff run then Donovan will be your starting QB

This quote destroys the whole notion of McNabb being benched simply based on performance. If we were still in the hunt, he'd be starting, period. So, again, Shanahan is stating that this is about evaluating your roster in three meaningless games as he's stated numerous times already, though the media and our sheep-like fans who follow them blindly continue to miss it.

So, at the very least, for this season Shanahan has publicly stated that McNabb is the guy here. However, the future is what is uncertain and Shanahan was honest with McNabb about that. I personally think it's awesome we've got a coach who won't just stick with a player simply because of what was given up for him. It's unfortunate the mistake was made of giving up draft picks in the first place if Donovan is released, but I'd rather wait and find out what happens this offseason and whether or not we recuperate any picks from any players, including McNabb or even Grossman, before I get too frustrated about it.

That alone makes it difficult for anyone, including McNabb's agent, to claim any disrespecting here. Before he said this, he even stated that he told McNabb exactly what he wanted to do with evaluating the other guys since he knows what McNabb can do in this offense and these last 3 games won't make a difference. He mentioned how he told McNabb that the last drive he had was a 75-yard drive for a TD, which is a great way to go out and shows what he can do. He also said McNabb was great about it and understood, though he wanted to play, of course.

I think McNabb's agent is the one who feels disrespected since he knows he probably won't get those nice cutbacks he was counting on from that deal. Poor him. :rolleyes:

Next quote:

We won't start anybody with saying "hey we're just starting these guys to see what they can do", we're only starting people that have earned the right to play on gameday that we look throughout the whole year that we say "hey, we need to give this guy an opportunity to perform because he's worked so hard and practiced so well that we believe he's a starter in the NFL, and regardless of the situation, this guy deserves his chance". That's the guys we give opportunities to. We just don't say "hey, this guy's a young guy let's see him play". No, that's not in the best interest of your football team trying to win.

I underlined that final portion because I think it's the most important bit, but first I want to point out that this whole quote demolishes the whole "well, why isn't anyone else getting benched then, OMG, hyopcrites!11!!!!1!" junk we've been hearing. What is basically being said here is they won't stick someone in on game day to evaluate them just because. They'll only do it if that guy has earned that right by working hard and practicing well. So, yes, Grossman is not McNabb and McNabb would be in if the games had meaning, but he's earned the right to start and show what he can do considering the season is lost. That is also why Beck hasn't went in first like some people are wondering. Grossman deserves it because of how hard he's worked, and this reinforces one of the key principles (work hard, get rewarded) being put in place for a winning organization as well.

As for the young guy bit, that makes perfect sense. It's why Galloway was here until Banks/Austin proved they could crack the WR corps. It's why Galloway was our no. 2 until Armstrong took it from him. What's nice to know is that Shanahan isn't just talk here, and every player has witnessed it. A lot of coaches will say these things, but then never really give the young guy a chance and stick with the vet. Shanahan has already proven that as soon as the young guy proves himself, he'll get the opportunity. He won't just stick with vets for the sake of sticking with them.

When all of us are clamoring for Rabach to be benched (and I'm one of them), it may be what the coaches want, but (if Shanahan is telling the truth, and I believe he is) this means that there isn't a guy behind him working nearly as hard or practicing as well, and thus, Shanahan rightfully won't reward anyone else with his position. I understand that... if you're building a roster filled with players who may be able to play better overall, but aren't going to give you 100% day in day out, you'll win some games but not championships. If you want championships, you instill the kind of work ethic and consequences that causes your players to rise to excellence, no matter who they are.

Ok so even though rabach and rocky are sucking, since Shanny likes them they can start??

That's BS... They keep talking about wanting to see what they got, then sit down the other sorrryass players

The issue is that McNabb is the scapegoat and it's been said that players feel that way too

Granted he hasn't been good, but neither has the shanahans

I agree 100% with this post. People on here just hear what they want to hear. And the media around here in DC guides the masses like a bunch of mindless donkey's.

I love what Shanahan is doing.. it's what everyone around here has been crying for. But soon as it gets here they want to cry about what he's doing to our players. These are the same players for the past 5-6 years that have done nothing but lose. Or McNabb deserves better? Why does he deserve better? What has he done in DC that warrants him to keep playing even though he's really played below average this year? Telling him in advance that he's not going to play because MS wants to evaluate what they have behind McNabb? Even thought he told him if we had meaningful games he'd still start McNabb? Where is the disrespect in that? Sounds like to me people don't like honesty around here is what I'm seeing.

It's the same mantra that's been going on here for a long time.. overvaluing the players that are on this roster and making them immediate all-stars before they even prove they belong on the field at a professional level. If it was up to this board Taylor Jacobs and Marko Mitchell would be our starting wideouts right now...:ols::ols:

Ok so even though rabach and rocky are sucking, since Shanny likes them they can start??

That's BS... They keep talking about wanting to see what they got, then sit down the other sorrryass players

The issue is that McNabb is the scapegoat and it's been said that players feel that way too

Whaaaa!!?!?

Did you not even read the thread? :ols:

It has nothing to do with whether or not Shanny "likes" them... it has everything to do with whether or not any guy behind them is working as hard and practicing as well. Shanahan is saying that he won't put a guy in just because they're younger or for any other reason. They will only put a guy in if he's earned it. So maybe they can't stand Rabach's performance at times just like us, but no one else is showing up behind him consistently enough to deserve the position.

That's more about principle than anything else, and I love it.

And this is exactly what I mean right here.. they hear what they want to hear... this post has nothing to do with the OP

Does anyone SERIOUSLY, now McNabb's done, believe the starting QB of the 2011 Washington Redskins is on this roster?

Outside of Beck, who'll be 30 next year, there's nothing to evaluate.

I believe in the HC, have from day one, (although he's certainly created a LOT of questions as the years gone on. And those questions deserved to be asked); but his double speak on this is fooling very few.

Hail.

See, he's only a "scapegoat" for morons who believed this team was capable of "winning now".

Players who feel that anyone else has been made a scapegoat need to look at their own play and figure out what role they had in requiring that ANYONE be a scapegoat.

It's time for the babies on this team to be tossed out with the bathwater.

~Bang

I find that most skins fans on this board may be in a little culture shock. I do think the east coast media is far more critical than they are in Denver.

lol, definitely. I just hope Shanahan stays strong and doesn't let them affect him. They're desperately trying to force his hand on things and make him look stupid, like when he benched McNabb against Detroit. I just hope he doesn't even so much as think about what they're going to say. So far, I don't think it has but he's only human and can take so much. I really can't stand the media these days in general.

And this is exactly what I mean right here.. they hear what they want to hear... this post has nothing to do with the OP

My point is that your telling me that there is NOBODY on this team that can take their spot!???

The way they are playing, anyone would be better

That's bs and that's a double standard

I understand you guys think(hope) he has a plan but I and many more football educated don't think he does

Extreme Skins is really slipping. This was posted on rotoworld 40 minutes ago...

Sources within the Redskins organization tell NFL Network's Michael Lombardi that the team's decision to start Rex Grossman is "about them being in position next year to draft a quarterback."

The NFL Network crew agreed, with Warren Sapp bluntly stating, "Right now they’re tanking the season looking for that Top 5 pick."

While it's hard to argue with that assessment, the team would never publicly state their desire to tank the season, and we can't imagine the league would be able to prove the team's futility was planned. It goes without saying that the Skins will be in the market for an elite rookie quarterback.

So although I really want a Defensive end like Marcell Dareus in the top 10...It looks like we're tanking the season (which I have no problem with. It's called a long-term plan!) so that we can get a top 5 pick and draft a QB. smh even though I don't see the fascination with any of the highly prospect QBs in this draft...In Shanahan I trust.

See, he's only a "scapegoat" for morons who believed the whole "win now" bull****.

Players who feel that anyone else has been made a scapegoat need to look at their own play and figure out what role they had in requiring that ANYONE be a scapegoat.

It's time for the babies on this team to be tossed out with the bathwater.

~Bang

Yes sir! The one thing I hope comes out of this is that the babies on this team are made as clear as day. I swear, if one player has an "issue" or is divisive about it in the locker room, he should be cut the second it's found out. Friggin babies, just play your game to the best of your abilities and stop worrying about anything else. Who cares if you have to answer a bunch of annoying questions... if you can't handle that and it somehow distracts you, how the heck are you good enough to handle being a professional football player?

My point is that your telling me that there is NOBODY on this team that can take their spot!???

I understand you guys think(hope) he has a plan but I and many more football educated don't think he does

Sir you are extremely underestimating how bad this team is...delusional may be the word. Just pay alot of attention in the offseason...thats the key. The answer to the superbowl is not through this roster lol.

Heres a Quote.......

"Shanahan acknowledges that. He says he told McNabb that he can't guarantee he'll return to the Redskins in 2011"

Heres another......

Redskins players are not happy. "The guys are extremely pissed,"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/McNabb-benched-for-Grossman-Redskins-players-fu?urn=nfl-297400

The Franchise not being here next year means We gave away 2 draft picks......TO A DIVISIONAL RIVAL just so we can Tank the end of the Year?

Thats some strategic thinking!

HTTR

Great post sumittedone, and I pretty much agree. The thing that really bugs me about all of this is 2 weeks ago the whole board was screaming we had to "blow it up" and "enter rebuilding mode", and then as soon as Shannahan does that he gets blasted for being "unprofessional" or "seeking a scapegoat". Nothing that the orginization can do will win with the media at this point, but I typically expect better of the people on this board.

At this point all there is to do is twiddle my thumbs and wait till the offseason...

You tell me what they have behind McIntosh and Rabach that is of any value? This team's depth has been an issue for the past 10 years because of having 3 or 4 picks each year in the draft. Good teams have quality depth behind these starters.. they have players who when ready should be starters in this league.. not garbage that couldn't make another teams squad. Look at most of the Redskins cast offs.. tell me where they're at? Only one getting any PT was Betts because the Saints were down 3 RB's already at the time.. The Saints had 3 other RB's that they thought were better than Betts before they even entertained picking him up. What does that say about the "quality depth" on the Redskins roster? Simple answer, there is no "quality".

You're missing the point. The principle of "work hard get rewarded" takes priority over a guy who might be able to take another guy's spot and do better. So, yes, there probably is a guy who can do better than Rabach on game day, but he isn't earning the right to take it yet. Rabach isn't going to lose his spot because he gets ran over on game day too much simply because he's working harder and practicing better than any other guy behind him. As soon as the guy behind him matches Rabach on those things, he'll go in.

That's the idea. If you can't understand that, I don't know what else to tell you. If you think it's worth benching Rabach and putting someone else in just because Rabach isn't that good, then you're allowing other players to think "well, I'm more talented than that guy so I don't have to do much and the coaches will put me in". That's probably the lazy, undisciplined way of thinking that got Devin Thomas cut.

Sir you are extremely underestimating how bad this team is...delusional may be the word. Just pay alot of attention in the offseason...thats the key. The answer to the superbowl is not through this roster lol.

I get what your saying but why can't the young guys just get a chance if we are looking to the future??

Rocky has been bad and I doubt blades or Riley could be much worse. Well maybe Riley because he has the football iq of a rookie madden player

Extreme Skins is really slipping. This was posted on rotoworld 40 minutes ago...

Sources within the Redskins organization tell NFL Network's Michael Lombardi that the team's decision to start Rex Grossman is "about them being in position next year to draft a quarterback."

The NFL Network crew agreed, with Warren Sapp bluntly stating, "Right now they’re tanking the season looking for that Top 5 pick."

While it's hard to argue with that assessment, the team would never publicly state their desire to tank the season, and we can't imagine the league would be able to prove the team's futility was planned. It goes without saying that the Skins will be in the market for an elite rookie quarterback.

So although I really want a Defensive end like Marcell Dareus in the top 10...It looks like we're tanking the season (which I have no problem with. It's called a long-term plan!) so that we can get a top 5 pick and draft a QB. smh even though I don't see the fascination with any of the highly prospect QBs in this draft...In Shanahan I trust.

I believe this rotoworld story to be 100% accurate. The Redskins FO has been blatantly open and honest with the media since taking over, and makes a habit of consistently holding their cards face up so that the other 31 teams know exactly what our intentions are 4 months before we make a decision.

/Sarcasm.

:D

Archived