Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Show Yesterday - Two Quotes to Reflect On

TSO

And even after 5 years of denial, some will still never get it.

Some, lol? I think the vast majority would fall under the "still never get it" moniker you've applied, lol!

You know, usually the one who is in denial is the one who happens to be going against what pretty much everyone else thinks about him. Maybe you should open up to the possibility that, just maybe, it's the others who view you more as you are than yourself? Maybe. :whoknows:

I'm all about the big picture and I've stated so many times, but this team is not exempt from criticism like some of you that subscribe to the Larry Michael blind-homerism magazine would like to believe.

It's funny because every 'skins fan I have run into while out and about have all agreed that this team is in shambles and that it is almost going to take a miracle to revive it any time soon.

I don't why some of you Larry Michael clones still continue no matter what the 'skins do, fail to see the failures of this organization. I'd much rather have a conversation with a realists then someone who turns the other cheek and appears to be on happy pills. It's great to be an optimist and quite annoying to be in denial.

Like I've said before. I ****ing love this team and I want to win just as much as the next guy. It's the very reason why I voice my opinions and critique them instead of being the enabler some of you are. If you don't have a problem with the losing then you have a losers mentality as far as I'm concerned.

Great post. When the dust settles, and some time has passed, Snyder has a serious decision to make about Shanahan. Can he trust his judgement going forward?

Can he trust his judgement in hiring other coaches?

Player evaluations?

Making trades and trading picks away?

Changing our defense, and alienating two of our more skilled players?

Just like the locker room, you know Dan has to be getting a little pissed.

I'm all about the big picture and I've stated so many times, but this team is not exempt from criticism like some of you that subscribe to the Larry Michael blind-homerism magazine would like to believe.

It's funny because every 'skins fan I have run into while out and about have all agreed that this team is in shambles and that it is almost going to take a miracle to revive it any time soon.

I don't why some of you Larry Michael clones still continue no matter what the 'skins do, fail to see the failures of this organization. I'd much rather have a conversation with a realists then someone who turns the other cheek and appears to be on happy pills. It's great to be an optimist and quite annoying to be in denial.

Like I've said before. I ****ing love this team and I want to win just as much as the next guy. It's the very reason why I voice my opinions and critique them instead of being the enabler some of you are. If you don't have a problem with the losing then you have a losers mentality as far as I'm concerned.

It's even more annoying to be a jackass pessimist who needs to post how miserable things are in every possible corner of every possible page of every possible thread even though his views have been repeatedly shouted a thousand times before and are nothing innovative. But I digress. :)

No, the team isn't in shambles, but it is definitely a work in progress and has quite a way to go. No one is saying that isn't the case, even the most optimistic. So why did you even post this when your entire argument was based on that faulty assumption?

Some, lol? I think the vast majority would fall under the "still never get it" moniker you've applied, lol!

You know, usually the one who is in denial is the one who happens to be going against what pretty much everyone else thinks about him. Maybe you should open up to the possibility that, just maybe, it's the others who view you more as you are than yourself? Maybe. :whoknows:

For 5 years you have preached that this team and organization weren't so bad.

You have been continuously incorrect for 5 years.

At what point does the Larry Michael routine end, and get replaced by something a little more intelligent?

Look, I have no problem in seeing what a debacle the entire McNabb situation is. From the trading of 2 picks to this final act of the McNabb saga.

I also look at the big picture. This team is a complete disaster. Allen, Shanahan clearly overestimated the talent on this team. Remember what Bruce was saying last year?

"I think we just need some additions and better leadership and we can have a good team"

Bruce Allen did not think this team needed to be drastically blown up. Shanny wanted Bradford, couldn't get him and went to plan B, thinking that McNabb would allow the team to re-tool while not going to complete crap.

Clearly that failed. And its clear Shanahan realizes that has failed, which actually shows me a lot because coaches have a way of compounding thier mistakes and trying to make something work that is failing.

There have been lots of errors this year. The old running backs in TC (a mistake quickly corrected btw) the entire Albert debacle.

The moves he is making now should have been made prior to the season,which would have prevented 2010 from being a complete waste.

Lets see what we got going forward. The plan looks very obvious which is tank, and attempt to trade up to get Luck.

When that fails, lets see if Shanny has a better plan b this offseason

It's even more annoying to be a jackass pessimist who needs to post how miserable things are in every possible corner of every possible page of every possible thread even though his views have been repeatedly shouted a thousand times before and are nothing innovative. But I digress. :)

No, the team isn't in shambles, but it is definitely a work in progress and has quite a way to go. No one is saying that isn't the case, even the most optimistic. So why did you even post this when your entire argument was based on that faulty assumption?

LOL. I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. I always point out the positives with this team. hell, I was one of the few that defended the move to the 3-4 saying "give it time.'

You keep calling people "pessimist," but when this team has been vastly over-rated by our own fanbase despite the fact that our beloved 'skins have been (like it or not) near the bottom of the league for the better part of the last 18 years, I think uding the word pessimist is overly-exagerrated.

By the way. You're right. I can be a "jackass" and I make no apologies for that. :)

The OP ignores the elephant in the room entirely. Yes it's nice that guys have to earn a chance to play, let's all sit around talking about how "refreshing" and "right" that is. It's not going to change the fact that we are staring at another massive front office blunder, and not the only one. A team in dire need of picks appears to have wasted a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. With the added bonus of benefitting a division rival and utterly destroying the defense at the same time.

But hey, do we have any quotes on how honor is important to Shanahan or maybe how much he likes honesty? What's his position on heart or courage? Bet he likes both too and we can ooo and ahh about that.

For 5 years you have preached that this team and organization weren't so bad.

You have been continuously incorrect for 5 years.

At what point does the Larry Michael routine end, and get replaced by something a little more intelligent?

We've never been so bad, except last season with Zorn. We've been mediocre with a couple nice playoff runs sprinkled in, correct? Last season, I wanted a change as much as the next guy as well. So, in reality, I've been much closer to the truth than you've ever been. ;)

So, yeah, again you fail, as you perpetually do. Understandable, as that is right under your namesake.

---------- Post added December-19th-2010 at 12:36 PM ----------

LOL. I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. I always point out the positives with this team. hell, I was one of the few that defended the move to the 3-4 saying "give it time.'

You keep calling people "pessimist," but when this team has been vastly over-rated by our own fanbase despite the fact that our beloved 'skins have been (like it or not) near the bottom of the league for the better part of the last 18 years, I think uding the word pessimist is overly-exagerrated.

By the way. You're right. I can be a "jackass" and I make no apologies for that. :)

Of course you're a realist, I wouldn't expect you to view yourself in any other way, lol. The most cynical, negative among us do. Not saying you are that type, but taking the extreme negative position on a matter and then claiming to be a "realist" is tired and old, honestly. In reality, none of us can truly be "realists", since none of us know what the future really holds. We can make educated guesses, but they're still just that, guesses.

And maybe the use of the term "pessimists" is overly-exaggerated, but not nearly as much as "Larry Michael-types", "homers", and "blind optimists". One just has to look at the front page of ES for the last few weeks to know that. ;)

The OP ignores the elephant in the room entirely. Yes it's nice that guys have to earn a chance to play, let's all sit around talking about how "refreshing" and "right" that is. It's not going to change the fact that we are staring at another massive front office blunder, and not the only one. A team in dire need of picks appears to have wasted a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. With the added bonus of benefitting a division rival and utterly destroying the defense at the same time.

But hey, do we have any quotes on how honor is important to Shanahan or maybe how much he likes honesty? What's his position on heart or courage? Bet he likes both too and we can ooo and ahh about that.

Let's see what we get back this offseason for any of the players we gave up picks for before we start flipping out about it, though. Is that too much to ask? What if Brown starts at RT for us next year and does well? Heck, what if McNabb ends up coming back and starting himself, even though that's highly unlikely? How about if he nets us a pick in a trade or helps us move up and grab a QB in the draft? Those are all possibilities, so why complain right now before we watch it unfold?

It's blatantly obvious to me that Shanahan has not learned from his mistakes in Denver. His miscues in dealing with his defenses, inability to communicate with star players, impulsive decisions and unwillingness to accept blame have been on full display in just ONE year.

What has Shanahan done to earn this kind of trust from 'Skins fans? His two Superbowl wins came on the back of Elway, Dan Reeves players and circumventing the salary cap to keep them.

His offense rankings and winning records were both heavily inflated playing in the AFC West. Shanahan won only ONE playoff game this decade. In nine years, from '00-08 the AFC West records shook down like this:

OAK 57-87

KC 66-78

SD 72-72

Shanahan's not in Kansas anymore. The NFC East's records over the same period:

NYG 80-64

PHI 92-52

DAL 71-73

Does anyone believe Shanny's 290 lbs zone blocking lineman are going to get the tough yardage in the NFC East to win a playoff game in January? I'm stunned at the amount of blind trust Redskins fans have placed in Shanny.

With my Redskin colored glasses - I could see us shipping McNabb and his now reasonable contract to Cincinnatti or San Francisco and a Top 5 pick (if we completely tank), to get the # 1 pick. That would equate to three draft picks for the rights to a Franchise QB. A 1st, 2nd, and I hope that the extra pick for McNabb is now a 4th instead of the possible third it could have been. That's a high price but let's get Luck and sign Mankins to play beside Trent Williams and draft the best C in next year's draft with the 2nd rd. pick. That scenario would probably equate to another pretty crappy season next year, but then barring any lunatic trades we would be in position to draft some quality players and be on track to turning this current disaster around. I think there is some sound strategy in what we are doing, especially if McNabb was closing in on any incentives that would have upped his conditional pick in this year's draft to a 3rd rounder instead of a 4th. All the while, I can continue to improve my season tickets for the next couple of years and be golden when we do start to win.

Archived