Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philadelphia newspaper's controversial Vick headline: 'TOP DOG'

joeknows

you want to play it that way?? fine. do you eat any meat?? i'm pretty sure they are treated worse than the animals in both cases, so by your logic (i use that term loosely with you) you and I are worse than dog-fighters b/c we support these activities.

you're too easy. please post some more.

i dont think what vick did was all that horrible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77aw9dG7tis

people are cruel to animals every day of the week in this country yet they dont go to jail

yet the star black athlete gets caught and does a year and a half and loses over 100mil over a few dogs?!?!

when we all know people are doin equal if not worse things to animals and get away with it

if what vick did earns u 1 year and half than shouldnt shooting and killin a deer get ya a few months?

something doesnt seem right with that system

hey im sure the animals are like "well at least he killed me respectfully whew"

bottom line is that hunters go out with intention of killing animals

vick had intention of killing/fighting the dogs

vick gets jail time...hunters get a pat on the back

i dont see people who do ****fighting going to jail for a year and a nickle

do you live anywhere near the southeast or where hunting is popular? i grew up in VA and many of my friends hunted and they always ate and shared the Deer they shot. My view of hunting is shaped by that so maybe you have a different view of it.

It's not like those Cabellas arcade games where you just go Call of Duty on as many animals as you can.

So once again, how you get dog-fighting = hunting i have no idea.

do you live anywhere near the southeast or where hunting is popular? i grew up in VA and many of my friends hunted and they always ate and shared the Deer they shot. My view of hunting is shaped by that so maybe you have a different view of it.

It's not like those Cabellas arcade games where you just go Call of Duty on as many animals as you can.

So once again, how you get dog-fighting = hunting i have no idea.

who cares what happenes after the animal is dead?!?!

so if vick would have cooked up some pit and shared it with firends it would be ok?

no, you all would be all over him even more

the intent was to kill the animal in both situation

who cares what happenes after the animal is dead?!?!

so if vick would have cooked up some pit and shared it with firends it would be ok?

no, you all would be all over him even more

the intent was to kill the animal in both situation

haha you are too funny. your reasoning is air-tight. god forbid we use the food-chain like God intended. even if you don't believe in God, it's the natural order, and we are a little bit higher fortunately than our food.

haha you are too funny. your reasoning is air-tight. god forbid we use the food-chain like God intended. even if you don't believe in God, it's the natural order, and we are a little bit higher fortunately than our food.

so it would have been ok if vick ate the dogs

lets not act like there arent people in this world who dont eat dog

intent was the same.......harm the animal until its dead

hey im sure the animals are like "well at least he killed me respectfully whew"

bottom line is that hunters go out with intention of killing animals

vick had intention of killing/fighting the dogs

vick gets jail time...hunters get a pat on the back

i dont see people who do ****fighting going to jail for a year and a nickle

Hunters hunt for the fun of hunting itself, the fun of being outdoors, and traditionally bringing home food "the old fashioned way".* Like people always have done. The wild animals got killed to be food, same as nature does itself.

Answer this, wise guy: Why did Vick electrocute those dogs? Why torture other pets under his care? What kind of "tradition" is upheld fighting pets to the death? What did those dogs get killed to be?

Answer that, Celj.

*I should note, OCCASIONALLY bringing home food. Even with modern guns, it's called "hunting" not "getting" for a reason. :)

Hunters hunt for the fun of hunting itself, the fun of being outdoors, and traditionally bringing home food "the old fashioned way".* Like people always have done. The wild animals got killed to be food, same as nature does itself.

Answer this, wise guy: Why did Vick electrocute those dogs? Why torture other pets under his care? What kind of "tradition" is upheld fighting pets to the death? What did those dogs get killed to be?

Answer that, Celj.

*I should note, OCCASIONALLY bringing home food. Even with modern guns, it's called "hunting" not "getting" for a reason. :)

for the sport of dog fighting

no reason in keepin around a hurt dog that will just die slowly post fight

so kill it.......the same reason you kill a hurt horse.....its gonna die anyway might as well just kill it fast

go down south dog fighting it still very popular.......but the feds wont be showing up at any of those place becasue they have nothing to gain

for the sport of dog fighting

no reason in keepin around a hurt dog that will just die slowly post fight

so kill it.......the same reason you kill a hurt horse.....its gonna die anyway might as well just kill it fast

go down south dog fighting it still very popular.......but the feds wont be showing up at any of those place becasue they have nothing to gain

My jaw hit the floor. (figuratively)

You know, the "sport" of dog fighting I can almost see. I would have no problem with the dogs competing in a non lethal non-painful tug of war contest, LOL. But we're not talking about that. We're talking about pet owners making their dogs fight to the death or near-death, with the losing dogs usually being disposed of rather than tended to. So you consider making dogs fight to the death and killing the losing pets to be "sport", huh? This doesn't disturb you?

So you're OK with HOW those dogs got hurt.

And you think it's OK to just fight a dog until it's hurt, then kill it. And not just kill it, you had nothing to say about the electrocution, you're OK with killing said dogs in a much crueler way than being shot dead, let alone "put to sleep" (injection).

And you're OK with dog-fighting being "popular" in the South, instead of an embarrassment.

If this is really how you feel, I'm not sure what kind of heart you really have. Let alone anything that can be reached.

Most of us have done cruel things to animals as a child. Intentionally or unintentionally. Yet almost all of us have grown up. You haven't?

My jaw hit the floor. (figuratively)

You know, the "sport" of dog fighting I can almost see. I would have no problem with the dogs competing in a non lethal non-painful tug of war contest, LOL. But we're not talking about that. We're talking about pet owners making their dogs fight to the death or near-death, with the losing dogs usually being disposed of rather than tended to. So you consider making dogs fight to the death and killing the losing pets to be "sport", huh? This doesn't disturb you?

So you're OK with HOW those dogs got hurt.

And you think it's OK to just fight a dog until it's hurt, then kill it. And not just kill it, you had nothing to say about the electrocution, you're OK with killing said dogs in a much crueler way than being shot dead, let alone "put to sleep" (injection).

And you're OK with dog-fighting being "popular" in the South, instead of an embarrassment.

If this is really how you feel, I'm not sure what kind of heart you really have. Let alone anything that can be reached.

Most of us have done cruel things to animals as a child. Intentionally or unintentionally. Yet almost all of us have grown up. You haven't?

you're missing the point my son

is making a dog fight to the death cruel? yes

is killing a dog cruel? yes

is taking a gun and shooting a deer enough till it is dead cruel? yes

but yet for some reason 2 of these things get you jail time and one gets an hour long show on espn on sun morning #WTF

most people in the south dont even see dog fighting as wrong and there is nothing anyone can do about it

its really just the same as ****fighting

you're missing the point my son

is making a dog fight to the death cruel? yes

is killing a dog cruel? yes

is taking a gun and shooting a deer enough till it is dead cruel? yes

but yet for some reason 2 of these things get you jail time and one gets an hour long show on espn on sun morning #WTF

most people in the south dont even see dog fighting as wrong and there is nothing anyone can do about it

its really just the same as ****fighting

No, "son", it's obvious you haven't grown up yet. Even at the youngest age memorable, almost all people understand the difference between pets and wild animals. And killing for food, versus killing just for inflicting pain.

Having a spectacle of dogs trying to kill each other for sport, having fun wetting a dog down to electrocute it, is one thing.

Going out in the woods, shooting an animal (as you put it "shooting til it's dead" not taking it somewhere to electrocute for "fun"), taking the carcass home and eating it, is another thing.

You still trying to equate the two?

You still trying to saying killing and eating wild animals, is the same as torturing and killing pets?

Here's a hint: One is demonstrably inflicting pain for pain's sake alone. The other isn't.

You really don't see this?

hunting is a sport born of necessity that later turned to mostly sport. many hunters still use most to if not all of their kills for sustenance and treat the animals respectfully, and if you are hunting for sport there are many rules that govern the same thing.

With all due respect, I'm going to say a few things that may upset a few people here.

I'm on record about how I feel about Vick. I hate what he did. I'm sure my dogs would too. He did his time, and what other poeple think is their opinion. I have no problem with that. If you hate Vick, hey, you hate him.

As far as hunters treating an animal respectfully...I am a former hunter. There is nothing respectful nor sporting about putting a slug or jacketed round through a deer or bear. Spare me the crap. If you want to kill the animal for food, great. I like venison. I eat it every year. But I served in the Marine Corps. I carried a rifle and pulled the trigger for other reasons. I can still pick up an old-style first gen M-16 and without a scpoe of any type hit a 12-inch target at 800 yards. Hitting a deer at 400 yards (which amazed my friends to no end, lol) with a Winchester was no sport for me--it was killing. Period. If you want to say you kill for food or like the conversation around the campfire at night, I say great! But the actual act of killing is no sport.

With all due respect, I'm going to say a few things that may upset a few people here.

I'm on record about how I feel about Vick. I hate what he did. I'm sure my dogs would too. He did his time, and what other poeple think is their opinion. I have no problem with that. If you hate Vick, hey, you hate him.

As far as hunters treating an animal respectfully...I am a former hunter. There is nothing respectful nor sporting about putting a slug or jacketed round through a deer or bear. Spare me the crap. If you want to kill the animal for food, great. I like venison. I eat it every year. But I served in the Marine Corps. I carried a rifle and pulled the trigger for other reasons. I can still pick up an old-style first gen M-16 and without a scpoe of any type hit a 12-inch target at 800 yards. Hitting a deer at 400 yards (which amazed my friends to no end, lol) with a Winchester was no sport for me--it was killing. Period. If you want to say you kill for food or like the conversation around the campfire at night, I say great! But the actual act of killing is no sport.

all i said was hunting used to be a requirement for survival, not a sport at all. nowadays it's a sport except people use the product of their hunts for sustenance also. it doesn't matter how effective you are at marksmanship, it's the reasoning behind the killing which i was referring too. if you're going to eat your kill, then i believe shooting it in the head at any range is about as respectful as you can go about it. i can't speak for everyone b/c i know there are people who just go out and kill as many animals as possible even though it's not a marksmanship challenge without eating their kills. but there are people who do it in the fashion i spoke of b/c i know many of them.

btw. thanks for your service.

lol @ this idea of hunting being a means of survival now a days haha

if its a sport and you just want to hunt to get out in the wild and have fun with your good ole country friends in the wild why not shoot the deer or rabbit or moose or whatever the f yall kill with a non lethal gun.

no you do it to kill the animal

and you people crying out that ohhhh but dogs are our pets!!! gimme a break

pits arent even legal in many places in this country

get over yourselves

shooting a deer is the same thing as shooting a pit

lets be honest hear

hunting is a white man traditional "sport" in rural areas of this country.........dog fighting is a tradition sport in urban minority communities

guess which one this country see's as the horrible act done to animals

where is peta to protest animals getting shot on espn every sunday morning?!?! NO WHERE

all i said was hunting used to be a requirement for survival, not a sport at all. nowadays it's a sport except people use the product of their hunts for sustenance also. it doesn't matter how effective you are at marksmanship, it's the reasoning behind the killing which i was referring too. if you're going to eat your kill, then i believe shooting it in the head at any range is about as respectful as you can go about it. i can't speak for everyone b/c i know there are people who just go out and kill as many animals as possible even though it's not a marksmanship challenge without eating their kills. but there are people who do it in the fashion i spoke of b/c i know many of them.

I respect your opinion on this. I know there are many who don't agree with my outlook on the subject of hunting. Maybe I just saw too much killing. It bothers me to this day.

btw: Your welcome.

celj, like many posters before you who have nothing of substance to argue and are down to their last inane point, you pull the race card. Multiple times in the past couple of pages. Its laughable, and its beneath anyone with an iota of self respect. Especially in this case.

You really think the fallout wouldn't have been the same (or WORSE because of relative fame) if Peyton Manning or Tom Brady were caught dog-fighting? Not just financing the ring for years, but also participating?

It was more than a "sport" for Vick, even if I take your assertion that its equal to hunting for many in the South at face value (which I don't).

For Vick, it was a chance to get up-close and personal and torture, maim, and then kill dogs. For his own enjoyment.

If it was just sport, he could have easily financed it for his buddies and just watched, or bet....or whatever.

But he participated.

Think about that.

A MULTI-millionaire went out of his way to personally "put down" and torture many of these dogs.

That's because he's a sick mother****er. Not because he sees it as a sport, as flawed as even that would be.

Edit: Also, don't you think on a message board like ES where 60-70 percent, at LEAST, of the posters are living in the ****ing South, that if you had a viewpoint that was sympathized with by the majority in the South, it would be obvious?

Since when do hunters shoot anything in the head? Usually when that happens it's an accident. Most of the time it's a body shot because of the large mass and then you track it until it dies. The only time an animal is shot in the head on purpose is during a road kill incident.

I grew up in the suburbs but recently moved out to the country and my wife's family loves to hunt and they've brought me into the fold. It's an animal. A dog, a deer, a pig, a cow... all animals. They have animals on the farm and at some point, aside from the horses, all these animals are slaughtered. Yeah, yeah, some will draw the distinction that torture before kill is a completely different thing than slaughter for food. But I don't find anything humane about shooting an animal with a bow and tracking it while it dies a slow death. But let's just get one thing clear, there's nothing humane about hunting. It's a link to our primal selves.

Aside from the consumer level butchering plants, you know how a pig is butchered? You stick it in the carotid artery and let it bleed out. It's a blood curdling process to hear it. Is that humane?

You don't have to like Mike Vick, I sure don't but not because of the dog thing, but don't act all holier than thou because you won't do your own "dirty work"... by the way, me and my family are all college educated. Many of the hunters we know are as well, so it's not just some rural, back-woods thing, "enlightened people" also hunt and it's not for sport—it's for food. Yes you can question the need to hunt but tell me about the purity of food that comes from the super market. Particularly the meat from there? Corn fed which is not the natural diet of cows/pigs/chicken, loaded with antibiotics, butchered in unsanitary conditions. Hunting provides meat that is closer to anything you'll find in a supermarket that humans evolved to eat.

Since when do hunters shoot anything in the head? Usually when that happens it's an accident. Most of the time it's a body shot because of the large mass and then you track it until it dies. The only time an animal is shot in the head on purpose is during a road kill incident.

I grew up in the suburbs but recently moved out to the country and my wife's family loves to hunt and they've brought me into the fold. It's an animal. A dog, a deer, a pig, a cow... all animals. They have animals on the farm and at some point, aside from the horses, all these animals are slaughtered. Yeah, yeah, some will draw the distinction that torture before kill is a completely different thing than slaughter for food. But I don't find anything humane about shooting an animal with a bow and tracking it while it dies a slow death. But let's just get one thing clear, there's nothing humane about hunting. It's a link to our primal selves.

Aside from the consumer level butchering plants, you know how a pig is butchered? You stick it in the carotid artery and let it bleed out. It's a blood curdling process to hear it. Is that humane?

You don't have to like Mike Vick, I sure don't but not because of the dog thing, but don't act all holier than thou because you won't do your own "dirty work"... by the way, me and my family are all college educated. Many of the hunters we know are as well, so it's not just some rural, back-woods thing, "enlightened people" also hunt and it's not for sport—it's for food. Yes you can question the need to hunt but tell me about the purity of food that comes from the super market. Particularly the meat from there? Corn fed which is not the natural diet of cows/pigs/chicken, loaded with antibiotics, butchered in unsanitary conditions. Hunting provides meat that is closer to anything you'll find in a supermarket that humans evolved to eat.

I was replying to someone who specifically mentioned shooting animals in the head

killing is killing
So you think hunting and killing wild animals is just as bad as torturing and killing pets? Someone who kills in self defence is just as bad as someone who kills in a gang shooting? Killing is killing, huh?

Yet you want to brag about your supposed marksmanship, say there's nothing sporting about shooting off the range. And for all your protestations about killing, your position on Vick is "He did his time."

You two posters have represented your franchise very well, defending Vick by trying to trash something legitimate like Hunting instead. Keep classy as usual, Filthadelphia. :doh:

Archived