Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Jerry Jones on Tashard Choice: 'He really has a lot of the Emmitt [Smith] feel to him'

tr1

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/11/jerry-jones-on-tashard-choice.html

Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones was interviewed on KRLD-FM (105.3 The Fan) about the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Saints and head coach Jason Garrett. Here are some highlights:

On the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Saints:

I'll tell you, personally, I haven't gotten over it yet, really. I was proud of the way our guys came back but what an opportunity for us to just really have such a lift from a potential victory and all of that. They say you're supposed to give yourself 24 hours; it's been days and I'm still thinking about it but thank goodness those players are out there getting it behind them and working and getting ready to go against Indianapolis.

Would it just have been better for the Cowboys to have been blown out by the Saints instead of coming up just short?

No, not at all. I thought that it was very important, individually and to our fans, that we compete on that level against that caliber of team. I have all the respect in the world for the Saints now and certainly Sean Payton and so with all of that in mind and the way we came back and almost won the game, was far, far better than to have it keep going the way it was in the first quarter, in my opinion.

Some people are calling for the 'interim' tag to be removed from Jason Garrett's title. In your mind, has he done enough to warrant the position?

Well, you know, I'm not looking, really, as much as you might think, at what he's doing in these games. I just know him so well and have known him for years and years and know the things that he could bring to the table as the head coach. Certainly, as we move through these games, then that will add, and I think it will, almost assuredly, credibility. It would be shocking to me if he didn't continue to do a great job; I know how hard he's working at it. That's never been an issue of how hard he's working, but again, I'm not hanging so much on what we did or didn't do, relatively to the score. I think we would all agree that the team gave the kind of effort against an opponent there, against the Saints, I'd give him a plus.

Could you see Garrett being your head coach next year based on how the team has looked and played?

I think this: I think that what we want to do is see each day, each practice, each week. You are well aware there are issues in the league with these mid-season changes that actually require an interim-type addressing of things and so all of that comes into play. In other words, the procedure of having and changing coaches has some things you do regarding the Rooney rule, which I completely respect and are for and we got some issues coming up next year that we got to be looking at right now, which has to do with our labor agreement. All of those things are in play here.

Is Marion Barber's time as a Cowboy coming to an end?

No; of course, I don't know that's he going to be out over this week and I know, certainly, that he's got critics but I wouldn't go that far, in anyway, to say that his time is done with the Cowboys. Felix Jones gives you such an explosive back and he certainly is capable of carrying the full load in my mind and we are, actually as it turns out because of how much we're using him in the passing game, I'm talking Felix now because this has everything to do with Felix. Felix gives us an explosive opportunity every time he touches the ball and I think that weighs, to some degree, on the critique of Marion and I think I'm being trite when I say that. You would just like, to some degree, to give yourself every opportunity to make the big play every time and all of that weighs into it. I think Jason [Garrett], frankly, is doing a good job as to how he is alternating those guys when Barber is healthy. Now that he's not healthy, you'll see more of Felix.

Why has Tashard Choice's opportunities continued to go down? Is it something the coaches are seeing in practice because it seems as if he's become almost an afterthought now?

Well, first of all, Tashard needs to be a better special teams player. Your third back has to be a real contributor on special teams and he's not and that really handicaps him. He got 'big boy-ed' out there against Thanksgiving day and it was one of his old buddies at Georgia Tech and I mean he got it put on him.

On the other hand, Tashard is really...I'm going to say this, he's really unique. He really has a lot of the Emmitt [smith] feel to him when he runs and he just finds the soft spots. He's really a heck of a good runner but there's more to it: there's blocking, there's good protection. And now that there's just two backs, now that there are only two as we go to Indianapolis without Barber, then Choice becomes more logical to be used because he doesn't have the special team requirement. You'd still like to use him but he doesn't have it. Now you can look at him entirely as a running back and he should get more carries and be productive. I really Tashard close in on short yardage. He scored a touchdown the other day and just kind of squirreled in there in a soft spot. It was good.

Did it bother you that a lot of Saints fans managed to make it into the stadium?

Well, they were very impressive and I know it's a short ride over here and what I would point out is that Louisiana has huge Cowboys fans. It just permeates Louisiana with Cowboys fans and so that's a positive there and a little bit of a trade off as far as I'm concerned. One of my favorite places to be...I've spent a lot of time in my life in Louisiana. It's a great Cowboys territory. It used to be a big debate over in Shreveport as to which games were shown on television-wise when you didn't have red zone and those opportunities. So the bottom line is that I really expected, with the capacity that we have, I expected a huge New Orleans crowd and it happened.

Are you encouraged with Tony Romo sits to pee throwing some soft passes? How is that coming along?

Yes, I am. That's strictly going to be up to how he's feeling. We're not going to be able to tell. Six to eight weeks is the bone mend; you've heard that ad nauseam I know but the facts are six weeks would be the game against Indianapolis. Now, we're not going to play him against Indianapolis but still, that's when the six weeks is and he's really progressing. And so, it's a question of the safety of the more time you have, the lesser it is you could reinjure the shoulder there. But, all of that will come...really should, the story of the tape, so to speak, would be how he's feeling and his pain threshold when he's throwing because it is his throwing shoulder.

Fortunately, I've been able to translate the double-speak Jerruh is so fond of.

On the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Saints:

As a terrific GM, I've put together an impressive roster of over-paid, over-hyped losers...they did what can be expected of them.

Would it just have been better for the Cowboys to have been blown out by the Saints instead of coming up just short?

Yes. I'd like to lose all of our remaining games. Being a terrific GM is very challenging, and I'd like an easy choice at the top.

Some people are calling for the 'interim' tag to be removed from Jason Garrett's title. In your mind, has he done enough to warrant the position?

Being a terrific GM and owner, I'm going to hire a lackey. Let's see how big a lackey Jason turns out to be, okay?

Could you see Garrett being your head coach next year based on how the team has looked and played?

Being a terrific GM, I like my shoes to have an incredible shine to them. If Jason can continue to shine my shoes as well as he has, I might give him a tip.

Being the terrific GM that I am, I can truly say that we have one of the most under-achieving, over-hyped set of running backs in the NFL.

I worked hard at putting this group together. I passed over Chris Johnson, because I KNEW a product from my alma mater was just SO superior.

Did I mention it's hard being a terrific GM?

Why has Tashard Choice's opportunities continued to go down? Is it something the coaches are seeing in practice because it seems as if he's become almost an afterthought now?

Being a terrific GM, I sometimes WHIFF badly.

I whiffed badly on Choice. He continues to suck. Say, is that a bright shiny thing over there? I like shiny things. Oh-oh...my Depends need changing.

Did it bother you that a lot of Saints fans managed to make it into the stadium?

No...it didn't surprise me. We have the biggest fair-weather fan base in the NFL...and we're 3-8. Go figure.

Can you pass those peanuts over, please?

Are you encouraged with Tony Romo sits to pee throwing some soft passes? How is that coming along?

Tony and I have been lovers for a long time, and that injury has really limited us in the sack. When he's back 100%, you'll be able to tell by the width of my smile.

Now, I gotta go.

Fortunately, I've been able to translate the double-speak Jerruh is so fond of.

Tony and I have been lovers for a long time, and that injury has really limited us in the sack. When he's back 100%, you'll be able to tell by the width of my smile.

Now, I gotta go.

lol, that is hilarious

Why, does he mumble or something?

Emmitt doesn't mumble! I can clearly hear him everytime I hear the word 'debacled'.

I saw something hilarious today. I was in a sports memorabilia store, looking for some Skins player profiles to get for my man cave (there's a Jurgensen, Kilmer, Theismann, Portis, Sean Taylor, McNabb, Monk, and Green; I've got my eye on Taylor and Portis now, probably Green, Monk, and Theismann later, maybe a McNabb), and I was browsing the Cowboys section just to see what they had. Of course, they had the obligatory Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Landry, and Staubach singles, and a Aikman/Smith/Irvin...but then I looked left, and just had to laugh.

One of the posters had Aikman, Staubach, and TONY Romo sits to pee all together, comparing them. Among the other accomplishments for Aikman and Staubach were their Super Bowls and Hall of Fame mentions; the ONLY accomplishment for Romo sits to pee? 2 Pro Bowl appearances :rolleyes::rotflmao:

Oh yeah, and on a big one right next to the QB trio: Tashard freaking Choice.

I'd like to see what the Cowboys have in Tashard Choice. Neither Felix nor Barber have ever come close to filling Emmitt's shoes. Not saying that Tashard is that guy. Not at all. But this whole RB by committee thing has never worked for the Cowboys, and yes, a lot of that has to do with the OL. Give Choice the rock 20-25 a game for a couple of games and let's see what that does.

I'd like to see what the Cowboys have in Tashard Choice. Neither Felix nor Barber have ever come close to filling Emmitt's shoes. Not saying that Tashard is that guy. Not at all. But this whole RB by committee thing has never worked for the Cowboys, and yes, a lot of that has to do with the OL. Give Choice the rock 20-25 a game for a couple of games and let's see what that does.

I've been saying that for a couple of years. I watched Choice when he played at Ga Tech and he kicked Maryland's ass all over the field his senior year. Luckily the Ga Tech kicker missed a FG and MD hung on. I think he had like 230 yards rushing in that game.

• 10 months later...

No; of course, I don't know that's he going to be out over this week and I know, certainly, that he's got critics but I wouldn't go that far, in anyway, to say that his time is done with the Cowboys....

...Tashard is really...I'm going to say this, he's really unique. He really has a lot of the Emmitt [smith] feel to him when he runs and he just finds the soft spots. He's really a heck of a good runner but there's more to it: there's blocking, there's good protection. And now that there's just two backs, now that there are only two as we go to Indianapolis without Barber, then Choice becomes more logical to be used because he doesn't have the special team requirement. You'd still like to use him but he doesn't have it. Now you can look at him entirely as a running back and he should get more carries and be productive. I really Tashard close in on short yardage. He scored a touchdown the other day and just kind of squirreled in there in a soft spot. It was good.

:ols: :ols: :ols:

Archived