Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vikings Game Continues To Show Basic Pattern for Redskins

bulldog

I've gotten used to poor OL play so I'm not surprised that the long-standing deficiency couldn't be fixed in one year. But, I'm very disappointed in the Dline's rush defense and ability to put pressure on the QB. I understand that the Skins are in a transition period and don't have the personnel yet to run the new defense properly. But, it does call into question Shanahan's ability to guide the team to success. Shanahan doesn't have the talent to run a successful offense so he needs to devote future resources to the offense. But, now he has to spread those limited resources over both the offense and defense. While he's slowing filling the gaps and holes on each side the good players will have finished their contracts or be on the downside of their careers. There doesn't seem to be much hope in turning the corner on the franchise. To compound the issue he used two draft picks (#2 round and 4th round) on a QB with only a short time remaining in the NFL. The team won't be fixed until McNabb's on his way out. I think the only coach/GM who knew what he was doing with the Skins was Schottenheimer. He simply blew up the team and started over. The first year was very very boring but he was positioned for success in future years. Too bad 8-8 wasn't good enough for him to keep his job.

Line play is critical in the NFL.

Agree. They've tried bringing FA "pieces" in to fill gaps but you really have to get prime draft talent on both lines.

It's telling that our best OL is a rookie 1st round draft pick and our best DL is a second year 1st round draft pick. Hmmmmmmmm.

I completely agree with you about the line play on both sides of the ball. The middle of both of our lines are the weak points of the lines. Rabach can't hold up against the big boys that he goes up against. He gets physically pushed back into the QB or the RB. The same goes for Keomatu at NT. He might be a big guy but he isn't very strong and gives ground on every play. The last time I remember when the front four of the defense dominated was in the late 80's or early 90's. That was during the same period when the O-line was the best in the league. Teams hate to play us because we were so physical upfront. Now we look for a bandaid of a player that has been hurt or coming off an injury from another team. These players have not rebounded and the teams that let them go know that. Keomatu is a prime example of that. So until that part of the team is fixed it doesn't matter who we bring in at the other positions because the Oline needs to block, open up holes for teh RB's and protect the QB. If I were McNabb, I would part ways with the Redskins and play for a contender next year because this team will not contend for a long time.

How exactly does shanahan fail to see this? He brought in many new o line men in the offseason and said it was his number 1 priority to fix it.
He brought in many new o linemen? How many of them didn't suck?

And here is the answer to your question above. "I'm real excited about our offensive line. You know, I mean, they talk about that that's been a weakness and stuff, but I don't see it on tape and I don't see it on the field. We've got some real good players. I think we've got some big guys who aren't just big guys who stand still -- we got some big guys who can move." - Kyle Shanahan

Line play is critical in the NFL. You can't win without major and continuing investment in both the OL and DL.

Where the Redskins have lost games this year by and large it has been to teams that had a dominant inside DT or an OL that could establish a consistent run game.

Yep and it will take us two more years minimum to fix that. It's sad but true. I just wish Gibbs had made the investments in a young line when he came back the 2nd time.

Today, you could point to the Banks run of course. But the Redskins are so limited right now that with or without that run we scratched out 13 points against a team that gave up 31 last week.

The Vikes are a good team; with pretty much the same talent that got them to the NFC Championship last year. They had (shamefully) quit on their coach to get him fired. I think we got their best effort of the year. And almost pulled it off. Our Redskins are a team that is big on character and small on talent. And you're certainly right. It's gonna take a while to fix this mess.

Archived