Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting better, but skill positions powerless...

Renegade7

we just have so many needs. I don't see us filling them before Donovan becomes too old to compete. These aren't luxuries or upgrades... these are true positions of need:

1. Wide Receiver - maybe two

2. L Guard

3. R Guard

4. R Tackle

5. Center

6. Running Back

7. Full Back- sellars is approaching 65 I think

8. Nose Tackle

9. OLB

10. MLB

11. MLB- london is old

12. CB

I have to agree with WR ... we cannot draft one ... it seems to be entrenched in law that we must not have sucess through that route ...so FA here we come .....V Jackson will be a free agent and from what his agent has sugested ... cheap . At least in the first year to stick one to A J Smith ...other than that we have to develop Kelly, Armstrong, Banks and Austin and see what we can put on the field .

L/R Gaurd .. I think this is an area that needs to be fixed (obviousy) and will be BUT Heyer has looked good at G and the LG is the less demanding spot to play on the line ... with Williams at RG we could have entire line made up of ex-OT ..

RT . We need to groom a replacement (Capers?) but I think Brown will start to shake off the rust in 2011 and get a full offseason program to get healthy (assuming he resigns) . He is not a long term solution but will do for a couple of years .

C - We need to do something ... either grab one of the C's in the 1st round if we pick around the mid teans (decent value) or FA ... we cannot have CR back in the middle next year .

RB - I kinf of think we need to get a running game ... any running game going and for that we need a line ... after that Shanahans magic and perhaps a later round pick - what I am saying is we don't have to really strecth to a fill a hole if RB comittee works ..

FB - Lets see what Young has . FB is not really a massive need .

So offense done and I have spent maybe a 1st round pick on a C and a couple of late round picks on a develpmental G/RBs

Defense ... yes it is the line again . One DE (Cariker is locked) if we loose Haynesworth, it will be for picks or players ( i just don't see him going) he could lock down the other DE position . Then you need a replacemnt for Daniels and Holiday and the elephant in the room the NT . I would love to say throw draft picks at the NT problem but I don't really see anyone early in the draft that is going to be a Suh kind of defensive monster . We have to be smart and FA or getting the best value in the draft is the way to go here . We might not fix this in a year but we will try .

OLB - If a stud OLB falls to us in the first round then fine otherwise stick ...or upgrade through FA because we need to get the D line fixed to do their job then the OLB problem will be clear .

MLBs - Well more specifically ILBs and I think Mr Block in the Back Perry Riley needs to get a look there, I knid of wich we could have held onto Henson too ... people think you have o go out and fix the problems from the outside but tradtionally LBs especially are developed spending time in a back up role and special teams before moving into a more prominant role . It might work but you rake your chances .

CB - I think we are set with Hall and Rogers for the time being . Barnes has hardly sniffed the field and we traded out best development CB to the Colts so we need depth ... but by not resigning Rogers we are simply making more holes to fill ...

FS - Yes we need a FS ... sad to say considering who should be there but FS is a need ...

Ya, so what, you wanna send our new center or DEs out on a fly route next year? C'mon man...

We have been approaching the offseason for the last 10+ years with this exact same mentality: add a few potential skill playmakers and ignore the foundation. We should start at the lines and build out. I have no problem adding WR/RBs but only if they are reasonably priced. We should shoot the moon on interior linemen, a NT, and LBs.

As for the pass protection and the script play calling, re-watching it the protection did hold up "enough".....Then the Vikings defense re-huddled and on the drives following the Vikings D-line just completely owned us in the trenches

I guess we'll agree to disagree again.

Hicks was getting beat right from the start he didn't look ready to go and was playing so that poorly he got pulled.

But the pass protection and OL play in the opening of the game imo only appeared good/better as a result of a good opening script/gameplan which allowed McNabb to get the ball out on time on target quickly.

I don't think the OL actually played any better then the rest of the game but rather their inadequacies were offset/masked/overcome by McNabb + gameplan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since people are posting there thoughts on how/where to add talent in the off season here's mine:

Focus: Upgrading OL/DL

-By upgrade i don't mean short term keep your fingers cross and hope they don't get injured band aids, no i'm talking about young quality where we don't have to worry about that position for a 3-5 year window.(Murphy's law in the NFL seems to be that if you go into a season worried about health at a certain position that position will be hit hardest.)

Offense:

priority: Center, RT

secondary: RG

tertiary: RB,WR, QB*

*(later round after 3rd) developmental QB to be taken every year until McNabb is ready to retire at which point this would become a priority via high draft pick or via FA

Defense:

priority: NT, RDE, LOLB

secondary: FS/SS, ILB

tertiary: CB

I would refrain from spending 'big' money via FA or using high draft picks on 'skill position' players because our team has more glaring holes elsewhere.

And we should be developing our own young skill position players within the system.

My offseason draft and FA focus for the offense would be improving the OL.

An upgrade OL gives Bobby Turner/Mike Shanahan a chance to work his magic with the RBs.

Better OL improves the pass protection.

Improved running game + improved pass protection makes McNabb and the passing game better.

Defensive focus in the offseason would be centered around getting more stout up front and improving the pass rush.

we just have so many needs. I don't see us filling them before Donovan becomes too old to compete. These aren't luxuries or upgrades... these are true positions of need:

1. Wide Receiver - maybe two

2. L Guard

3. R Guard

4. R Tackle

5. Center

6. Running Back

7. Full Back- sellars is approaching 65 I think

8. Nose Tackle

9. OLB

10. MLB

11. MLB- london is old

12. CB

Damn, that list is long.

L Guard, R Guard, R Tackle, Center..... I think that I see a trend.

If we draft a WR before addressing these spots with YOUNG TALENT we are idiots.

I would rather see what AA, BB, heck bring back MM and some undraftees can do with DMAC having time to let a play develop and then throw, rather than see a Jerry Rice type WR in his prime make the occasional play because DMAC is on his back one the ball is snapped 1/2 of the time.

Archived