Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where can I buy a good safe?

Hubbs

I've been thinking about doing this for a while and am finally getting around to it. I like to keep a decent amount of cash on hand in case I lose my wallet, and therefore my ATM card, which I've done three times because I have a horrific memory. I've already had an apartment robbed before, so I'd like to get a small safe to protect my cash and a few other valuables, but I have no idea where you go to get a safe, or how to tell if it's a good one or if it could be broken into with a couple power tools. Anyone know where I should be going and what I should be looking for?

I've been thinking about doing this for a while and am finally getting around to it. I like to keep a decent amount of cash on hand in case I lose my wallet, and therefore my ATM card, which I've done three times because I have a horrific memory. I've already had an apartment robbed before, so I'd like to get a small safe to protect my cash and a few other valuables, but I have no idea where you go to get a safe, or how to tell if it's a good one or if it could be broken into with a couple power tools. Anyone know where I should be going and what I should be looking for?

Local locksmiths typically will carry them and install them. Or you might want to try a home security company (not a monitoring company).

I recommend having a safe installed under one of your cabinets in the floorboard area.

Local locksmiths typically will carry them and install them. Or you might want to try a home security company (not a monitoring company).

I recommend having a safe installed under one of your cabinets in the floorboard area.

I don't understand what you mean. Like, hidden by removable floorboards?

I don't understand what you mean. Like, hidden by removable floorboards?

Yes, I had one in my house in GA. You would hit it with your toe and the door would swing out on a hinge, and the safe was behind it. About 12 inches wide, 3 inches tall and about 2 feet deep. Almost like a safety deposit box.

Wanted to point out what some other folks have pointed out.

It the crook can just steal your safe, then it's useless.

Unfortunately, you used the word "apartment", which to me implies you'll need permission to have one installed. I'm assuming a lot, here, but I'd assume that the landlord won't mind, as long as you get installed by a good locksmith. (Meaning: One that has insurance that will pay the landlord for any damages.)

But this, in turn, means that when you move, then you're donating the safe to the landlord.

OTOH, I'd also agree with Predicto. I would bet (also speaking from ignorance) that any box that can't be opened by a screwdriver, pipe wrench, or hammer, is good enough to stop 95% of burglars. (Although, burglars have been known to come back, if they suspect that you've got a lot of cash, or some such.)

The thing I'm looking at getting sometime in the future is a gun safe...you know the ones that are big enough to walk into?

Right now I live alone and I have maybe 10 guns in the house, many of which are locked in a gun cabinet in my closet. The cabinet unfortunatly would be light enough for two men to lift even with all the guns inside, and I don't always keep them all in there (my shotgun is always leaning against my guitar amp right behind me).

I don't live in the greatest of areas and one of my greatest fears is that someone will break into my apartment one day and steal all of my belongings and weapons, or even worse, I'll come home to find my own guns pointed at me. On top of that I'm engaged and I plan on having kids. With children roaming around a house I'm keeping every firearm locked away where they can never get to them.

So I dunno, I've always wanted one of those huge safes which is big enough to walk into basically and weighs hundreds of pounds. The problem is I'm sure as hell not lugging one up the stairs into my apartment so for the time being I just make do with what I have and hope nobody decides to break in.

My advice would be to get a Home Depot gun safe, and get it well installed. (Like: Bolted to multiple wall studs. Bolts set in a concrete slab are even better.)

My brother's gun safe is out in the garage, specifically so that he could have the anchors embedded in the concrete.

How much cash? Where do you live? and what time do you go to work in the morning?

seriously though... I got my gun safes and my wall safes from a place off 395 north and Edsall road. It's right next to Achme Electronics. get off the highway right on edsall first right onto the acess road and it's in a strip mall on your left about a half a mile up.

Archived