Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you were the Head Coach of this team after last night....what would YOU do today?

@DCGoldPants

Not much you can do right now to make us better. We need three or four new starting offensive linemen, two more wide recievers, and another running back on offense. We need another safety and more linebackers on defense. .

You know, funny thing is, we needed that the entire offseason. Bruce Allen addressed that by........

Oh yeah, he didn't address anything. He was the complete opposite of Vinny. No moves at all. Vinny over did it. Bruce sits there and thinks Shanny will make turds polish into diamonds.

I would give them they day off. But I would have spoken last night after the game about self reflection and evaluation and no job being safe.

Perhaps make today a day off but have optional film time. Just to see who shows up.

I would burn the game tape as well. There is nothing to learn from it. Not a thing.

I too would cut Galloway. If we need 4 wide the put Moss/Armstrong/Cooley/Davis out there.

you DO have guys on the practice squad you can move up though that have been practicing and know the system. bringing in guys off the street at this stage rarely helps, but you can cut dead weight (galloway, roydell, IR portis) and bring up guys who can conceivably help right away...

Yes we do, I guess I should of clarified it more. Don't cut players PRIOR to deciding to bring someone up from the practice squad. I simply meant don't cut players just to cut them

Eagles fans I know say the word in Philly is unless Kolb is gone, Vick ain't staying there. Somebody is going to offer him a lot of money and make him the #1 starter without question. Reid can't do that now. Teams like Minny and AZ are going to offer him everything,

Redskins should jump on that actually, if the wording of McNabb's contract is correct.. cut his ass, get Vick..

You know, funny thing is, we needed that the entire offseason. Bruce Allen addressed that by........

Oh yeah, he didn't address anything. He was the complete opposite of Vinny. No moves at all. Vinny over did it. Bruce sits there and thinks Shanny will make turds polish into diamonds.

Talk about negativity. Holy Hell man you have been on a rant today

Please help me understand where you are going with all these posts. For years fans (including myself) have wanted change to the organization. Stability. Snyder to bring in a GM and get rid of Vinny. All of that happened during the offseason (the change is a work in progress) and because it hasn't amounted to a 8-1 record with a chance at home field advantage through the playoffs, people seem to be calling for the same thing already. You are NOT going to turn a team around completely in 10 weeks, not even one season. It is a time taking process. We finally got a GM who knows football. A coach who will not be a pansy and back down. Let it work out for 2-3 years and if there is no significant improvement, then yes start looking for a new coach/gm again if you want.

Can further my point, can ANYONE find a team that was 4-12 one season, fired their entire coaching staff, brought in a whole new FO regime and coaching staff and had huge success in the first 10 weeks of their first sesason?

Redskins should jump on that actually, if the wording of McNabb's contract is correct.. cut his ass, get Vick..
Vick is a great athlete, but I do not want him. I cannot bring myself to be happy for him, and I could not bring myself to root for him. He is a jerk.

The word straight from the the Philly newspaper (my cousin lives there) is Andy Reid and the entire Eagles organization is preparing a long term contract offer for Vick. Reid stated on a local news outlet that HE wants Vick for 3-4 more years. Reid usually gets what he wants.

I would give them they day off. But I would have spoken last night after the game about self reflection and evaluation and no job being safe.

Perhaps make today a day off but have optional film time. Just to see who shows up.

I would burn the game tape as well. There is nothing to learn from it. Not a thing.

I too would cut Galloway. If we need 4 wide the put Moss/Armstrong/Cooley/Davis out there.

No sorry the time for coddling and "reflection" is over.. That hasn't worked in the past and it's not going to work now.. These lazy underacheivers need to be ridden, and ridden hard. If Greg Williams was dead, he'd of been rolling in his grave over the tackling we've displayed this season.. From pee wee to the NFL, they teach tackling, i just don't get it.

That happens in our division. Look at what the Cowboys did to NY. It happens in the NFC East. Like I've been saying, we still got 7 more. Streaks happen. Now the concerns were brought to light in a big way last night yes. Wasn't Offense though. 28 points will get you a win in any division. Defense picked last night to drop a turd of a game. Period. Personally I think Haslett plan sucked, but I don't think he sucks as a D Coord. He just needs some help game planning. Seems like he's watching the wrong film during the week.

I would get out my list, like Santa Claus, any start checking off names. I wouldn't cut anyone today, but come Christmas I would send out a few cards, more or less thanking those checked names and telling them to turn in their equipment and fill out an exit survey. Then I would send Jim Haslett a big fruit basket with a gift card for luggage, something nice, and tell him to get the hell out.

If i was coach,id send the entire team home for the whole week.No practice,no film study,no game planning,and tell not to come back until they find some heart.

Actually,be just the opposite.Id practice and drill them until they thought they were gonna die.This GUTLESS,HEARTLESS,pathetic excuse for a PROFESSIONAL football team has gotten away with mediocrity for to long.

I'd have a serious talk with Hasslett as well.

1. Cut Galloway, bring up Terrance Austin or the new guy they just picked up. Whoever you think has the most potential, and can make plays when called upon.

2. Bring up James Davis, and let him compete for the starting role. We have nothing special in either Keiland Williams or Ryan Torain, although they can get the job done. Just not very well. Let's try to find someone special.

3. Decide what you're doing with the OL. We already had our bye week. Will Brown ever be healthy this season? How does Montgomery stack up to Hicks? Lich to Rabach at center? What about Dockery?

4. I'd seriously consider giving Haslett his walking papers, and giving Wade an interview. Now's the time to do it, his stock is incredibly low. But in the offseason, he'll have offers. Not to mention the fact that he knows the East inside out, and might have something against his old team now. But most importantly, he's a very good D-Coord, especially if you really are committed to the 3-4 for the future.

5. Controversial: Something is wrong with Cooley. Seriously wrong. Or he's declining? I don't know. But I'd let Davis compete with him for the top spot, or rotate them in and out. There's a very real possibility that Davis now has the potential to be better, until Cooley figures his **** out. And I take no pleasure in saying this, but we probably should have traded him. On the other hand, his stock was very low around draft time.

I'll post more as I think of more.

Shanahan and Allen should have been up all night last night in strategy sessions.

Team meeting would be at 2pm ET today. The agenda--thorough and complete butt-reaming. I mean go ballistic on them. Tell them they have disappointed their fans, friends, and families. They have shamed the team colors and those that have proudly worn them over the years. Show them the press clippings. Show them the score--5 times during the reaming session.

Then tell them you won't show them the film, and start on your gameplan for next week. Get input on what will work against the Titans, and move on... don't look back...

...and behind the scenes:

We now have to go into rebuilding mode for next year....we must get younger and faster, so personnel and coaching changes would be immediate and include the following:

Haslett--gone--today. I have defended him for weeks. Now I won't. Get the best coordinator you can find--if it's Wade Phillips, then make it happen.

Safeties coach--gone--today. If you can't find a coach to replace him, then tell the LB coach his days just got longer.

--Lichtensteiger to center. Dockery to guard. Hicks sits. Rabach can pick pine out of his rear for the rest of the year, then he's gone.

-move back to base 4-3 defense and Haynesworth plays every damn down or let him shuffle with Golston.

-Riley gets a lot more playing time at LB.

-Galloway and and R. Williams gone. Move up Terrence Austin and sign Kevin Curtis today.

-Cut Stephon Heyer and never, ever look back.

-move that Davis/Clemson kid up and give him some game reps at RB.

-cut Clinton Portis or put him on IR.

-move Andre Carter back to starting DE.

-Landry goes to Outside LB in the 4-3. Doughty to strong safety. Moore stays at FS, but with a very short leash.

-Move up Barnes to nickel corner, and sit Buchannon.----youth, youth, youth.

now for outside the box:

-Announce that Carlos Rogers is up for trade---for draft pick.

-Put Chris Cooley on the trading block---for draft pick.

-Put Santana Moss on the trading block--for draft pick.

-Put Grossman on the trading block for a late round draft pick---who knows someone may bite.

-See if you can move Sellers for a late round pick--this is a stretch because of his age, but you have to try.

Binge and Purge now, and pile up the picks for next year and beyond---this team needs speed and youth. That is the only way we are going to fix this problem. The mindset is poison on this team. It has been passed down from year to year since the 90s. All talk and no violence and speed.

A thorough and complete cleansing. Purge the disease...now or the young kids we have now (T. Williams, Rak, etc. will catch the disease).

Edit: I guess this is more of "If I was General Manager"

This season: I'd ride it out with what I have. I'd give some of the young players an opportunity to play. I'd release Galloway and bring up Austin from the practice squad. Players like him, Banks, Armstrong, Torain, Davis, and James would get much more opportunity in my offense.

On defense, I would open up the rotation at LB and CB to get the younger players reps as well. You would see much more of Barnes, Riley, Jarmon, etc.

The rest of the season would be essentially growing pains for the young core of players. It would be up to the veterans on the field to lead them.

In the offseason: I would open the door for any team to make any trade offer for any veteran player. That includes fan favorites like Cooley and Portis. I would also try and trade McNabb to a desperate team while he still had some value(no lower than a 3rd and a 5th).

In the draft I would go heavy on the trenches. BPA out of OL 2nd round. Hopefully with a few added draft picks I would also get a NT in the late 2nd or 3rd. BPA from then on, ANY position. After the draft I'm signing as many undrafted free agents as I can. If there is ANY diamond in the rough player in next years draft class, they will be found on the Washington Redskins.

I also would not sign ANY big name free agents. I would only look at young solid players who are inexpensive and would be solid depth fitting OUR schemes.

Next season: Our QB is possibly Rex Grossman. Fans will just have to get over it. No big name. The rest of our roster is filled out with young hungry players and a few solid veterans to lead by example(i.e. London Fletcher).

Our team would likely be middle to bottom of the pack, but we would be a LOT younger and have a roster that could actually grow together.

Coaching wise: I would still cut Galloway and bring up Austin. I would go to offensive plays that take advantage of aggression- a lot more screens, quick slants, seam routes for my TE's. I would use a lot more shotgun on obvious passing downs.

On defense, I would take our focus back to playing physical. That would be our cornerstone. We would hit someone every single play. Building from that, my corners are going to have to jam WR's- zone or man. My LB's are going to have to blitz like bats out of hell. I don't want to see my players getting held either. If the guy holds you, I want you to knock him on his a** so that 1) He learns not to hold you 2) The refs HAVE to call the penalty. Other than that don't let them get their arms wrapped around you in the first place. I would use Fat Al a lot more at DE also, but I would keep the DL rotating often. Also, if you miss a tackle, you're paying a fine which is going to a charity. Every missed tackle.

Shanahan and Allen should have been up all night last night in strategy sessions.

Team meeting would be at 2pm ET today. The agenda--thorough and complete butt-reaming. I mean go ballistic on them. Tell them they have disappointed their fans, friends, and families. They have shamed the team colors and those that have proudly worn them over the years. Show them the press clippings. Show them the score--5 times during the reaming session.

Then tell them you won't show them the film, and start on your gameplan for next week. Get input on what will work against the Titans, and move on... don't look back...

...and behind the scenes:

We now have to go into rebuilding mode for next year....we must get younger and faster, so personnel and coaching changes would be immediate and include the following:

Haslett--gone--today. I have defended him for weeks. Now I won't. Get the best coordinator you can find--if it's Wade Phillips, then make it happen.

Safeties coach--gone--today. If you can't find a coach to replace him, then tell the LB coach his days just got longer.

--Lichtensteiger to center. Dockery to guard. Hicks sits. Rabach can pick pine out of his rear for the rest of the year, then he's gone.

-move back to base 4-3 defense and Haynesworth plays every damn down or let him shuffle with Golston.

-Riley gets a lot more playing time at LB.

-Galloway and and R. Williams gone. Move up Terrence Austin and sign Kevin Curtis today.

-Cut Stephon Heyer and never, ever look back.

-move that Davis/Clemson kid up and give him some game reps at RB.

-cut Clinton Portis or put him on IR.

-move Andre Carter back to starting DE.

-Landry goes to Outside LB in the 4-3. Doughty to strong safety. Moore stays at FS, but with a very short leash.

-Move up Barnes to nickel corner, and sit Buchannon.----youth, youth, youth.

now for outside the box:

-Announce that Carlos Rogers is up for trade---for draft pick.

-Put Chris Cooley on the trading block---for draft pick.

-Put Santana Moss on the trading block--for draft pick.

-Put Grossman on the trading block for a late round draft pick---who knows someone may bite.

-See if you can move Sellers for a late round pick--this is a stretch because of his age, but you have to try.

Binge and Purge now, and pile up the picks for next year and beyond---this team needs speed and youth. That is the only way we are going to fix this problem. The mindset is poison on this team. It has been passed down from year to year since the 90s. All talk and no violence and speed.

A thorough and complete cleansing. Purge the disease...now or the young kids we have now (T. Williams, Rak, etc. will catch the disease).

Brilliant

Archived