Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN: Tom Coughlin not interested in Super Bowl chatter, New York Giants keep focus on next eight games

tr1

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/11/09/2010-11-09_sights_set_on_dallas.html

BY Ebenezer Samuel

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

They are 6-2 now, winners of five straight, and they sit atop the NFC East. They have a balanced offense and a lights-out defense, and both units sparkled in Sunday's 41-7 win over the Seattle Seahawks.

And for the Giants, all of that is meaningless. For the Giants, it's the next eight games - not the last eight - that will define their season.

"I'm really not interested in all the anointing (the Giants the favorites) and that stuff," Tom Coughlin said Monday, instantly downplaying any Super Bowl chatter. "The next game - that's our total concern."

Coughlin realizes what the second half of the season will bring. Four of Big Blue's next six games are against divisional foes, starting with the rival Cowboys on Sunday. The Giants can't look past Dallas, even if the Tony Romo sits to pee-less 1-7 Cowboys have just changed coaches.

"They have great playmakers in their offense," said cornerback Terrell Thomas. "We're not taking them lightly one bit."

Indeed, the Giants won't look past anyone because they know how quickly a dream can morph into a nightmare. In 2008, the Giants started 11-1 before dropping three of their last four games and getting bounced from the divisional playoffs by the Eagles.

Last year was worse. Big Blue squandered a 5-0 start and finished 8-8, missing the postseason.

Veteran offensive lineman Rich Seubert insists this year's squad is a "different football team" than last year's flameout group.

"We're playing well right now," he said. "We just have to keep it going."

But can they? Their hot streak has masked plenty of concerns. Undersized tailback Ahmad Bradshaw could wear down at any moment; he's already piled up 153 carries, just 10 shy of his career high. Eli Manning is on pace to toss a career-high 22 interceptions, although seven have come on tipped balls. And the offensive line, already held together by chewing gum and twine, took another hit Monday when David Diehl was diagnosed with a partially torn hamstring that could keep him out for a few weeks.

All of that leaves the Giants with plenty of concerns as they embark on the second half.

"Playoffs are a long way off," Seubert said. "We've started off the season like this before, and it didn't go together, so we have to keep it going in the right direction."

HAKEEM NICKED

Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks suffered a lateral ankle sprain Sunday, but Coughlin said he was "doing pretty well" Monday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/11/09/2010-11-09_sights_set_on_dallas.html#ixzz14n2omkxz

Yeah. You are crazy. They are strong finishers and are clicking in all three phases of the game.

"Strong finishers"? The Giants? lol...

Let's take a trip in the Way Back Machine:

2009:

2-4 over their last six games

2008:

3-3 over their last six games

2007:

2006:

The Giants haven't come remotely close to being "strong finishers" since 2005.

Yeah. You are crazy. They are strong finishers and are clicking in all three phases of the game. Not looking forward to playing them. Barring serious injuries, I don't see how they don't represent the NFC in the superbowl.

Giants are a good team, but I wouldn't qualify them as strong finishers. Final 6 games for the past four years:

2009 2-4

2008 3-3

2007 3-3

2006 2-4

"Strong finishers"? The Giants? lol...

Let's take a trip in the Way Back Machine:

2009:

2008:

2007:

2006:

The Giants haven't come remotely close to being "strong finishers" since 2005.

Damn you...even your presentation was better! What's chances we both look at 6 game timeframe?

"I'm really not interested in all the anointing (the Giants the favorites) and that stuff," Tom Coughlin said Monday, instantly downplaying any Super Bowl chatter. "The next game - that's our total concern."

"[The Cowboys have] great playmakers in their offense," said cornerback Terrell Thomas. "We're not taking them lightly one bit."

Article is inaccurate. The Giants are only focused on next week.

Damn you...even your presentation was better! What's chances we both look at 6 game timeframe?

:ols:

And I'm assuming you chose the 6 game timespan for the same reason I did: because when reviewing each season, I got to the 6th game and thought "this is more than enough to make my point", and damn if that 6-game timespan didn't hold up each and every time lol :yes:...

Yeah. You are crazy. They are strong finishers and are clicking in all three phases of the game. Not looking forward to playing them. Barring serious injuries, I don't see how they don't represent the NFC in the superbowl.

You need to read the article:

Indeed, the Giants won't look past anyone because they know how quickly a dream can morph into a nightmare. In 2008, the Giants started 11-1 before dropping three of their last four games and getting bounced from the divisional playoffs by the Eagles.

Last year was worse. Big Blue squandered a 5-0 start and finished 8-8, missing the postseason.

:rolleyes:

I don't think they look like a team thats going to collapse like years past. If they do at all, it might be because of injuries (they just lost 2 straight centers didn't they?) but they've been playing better football than they have the past couple of seasons. They only really sucked in one game so far.

I think most of us giants fans are aware of the the teams recent falterings in the 2nd part of the season. That is probably why you don't see to many Giants fans gloating about their current record. We are in a "cautiously optimistic" state right now. While the giants have looked pretty good in recent weeks, the quality of the teams they have beaten is the big question. Last year the giants beat up on some bad teams to start 5-0 and we all know how that turned out. In addition, they have only played 1 division game so far and in the NFC east, it doesn't always matter what the teams record are, those games can be tough.

I think IF the giants can win the next 2 weeks (home vs. dallas then away vs. philly) the giants will be in a very good position going forward (3-0 in the division, with at least a 2 game lead). I know I'll feel alot more confident if they can get that road win against philly.

The Giants were strong finishers in one of those seasons that you guys mentioned despite not finishing the regular season strong. :)

And I very much like the attitude they are taking. The fact that it is now and not last year makes me happy that last year happened the way it did. Hopefully it is a lesson learned that none of them want to repeat.

That being said, I am still very nervous about the next two games. But I will take the Giants approach and only worry about the Cowboys. The Eagles are for next week.

Archived