Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

California Passes 50% Budget Requirement Initiative...

Fergasun

my initial thought was, well California has a lot of people, so maybe a million votes is not that much when compared to total votes cast, but your link shows 97% of polls reporting, and less than 7,400,000 of California's 37,000,000 population voted for governor, that's less than 20%. Is that an average voter turn out or low? Please do not tell me that it is a high turnout for California, that would be sad and scary at the same time.

I though Canada was bad at voter turnout, usually landing around 50% of voters/40% of population, but with at 20% voter turnout (based on population), I suggest a ban on all California government related posts, since it is obvious that the people of California could care less about their government.

Its a lot higher than that. As of October 18, 2010, there were 17,285,883 registered voters in California (which is 73.40% registered of all eligible voters).

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ror/ror-pages/15day-gen-10/

Based on the SacBee link it looks like roughly 7.3 million voters have been counted. That would put the registered voter eligible turnout at over 40%

Pipe dream. Forget about it.

We are stuck with Prop 13 until the Big One comes and sends us all to the bottom of the Pacific.

Yeah. You think Social Security has an entrenched constituency who'll never allow it to be changed?

Wait till most of the people in California are paying property taxes based on less than half their homes actual value, and then announce that you want to propose doubling all of their property taxes, because it's not fair to the guy across the street who just moved in from out of state.

Let us know what happens.

----------

(Although, I confess that I do occasionally imagine, some day, some guy filing a lawsuit, claiming that "I'm paying three times the taxes as the guy across the street from me, and the only reason I'm paying three times the taxes is because he's been living in California for 15 years, and I just moved here. Therefore, California is taxing interstate commerce.")

Maybe Predicto can tell me how unrealistic that idea is.

Sure. But the Dems had 60, and now the CA Dems dont need 2/3s. Both had/have no excuses left.

Yes, but Kennedy being out, and then another one out with some kind of illness as well (don't recall specifically who) threw a wrench in the system, plus then you have to also consider the house Dems who were in the fringe areas in danger of losing seats if they voted w/ the party on over-politicized and fear-mongered topics, such as healthcare. CA, I agree though, doesn't seem to have excuses now that the Dems there can effectively pass budgets w/o a minority holding it up. The Dems just can't demonize the right like the right can demonize them, so they always seem to go into panic mode when their actions are called into question, rather than just continuing to go forward.

• 1 year later...
and they won't have Southern Democrats / Blue Dogs to point the finger at when things don't happen. Should be interesting. :munchout:

You might enjoy this....a State U only accepting those from out of state

http://www.mercurynews.com/education/ci_21283757/california-state-university-departments-rebel-over-resident-enrollment?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

If you're a Californian interested in taking up graduate studies in January at a California State University campus, think again.

But if you live in another state or country, check it out and sign your check.

Cal State leaders have told the university's 23 campuses they will not be allowed to admit California graduate students for the spring term, which starts in January. Budget cuts made the system in the coming spring term unable to afford residents' heavily discounted education, campus leaders were told.

But nonresident students -- who pay considerably higher fees -- remain welcome, at least at some campuses, and that has become an issue leading some rebellious graduate schools to turn away the non-Californians -- and the financial windfall they would bring.

We either take both kinds of students or none, one professor said.

"It's appalling, and I would never, ever go along with" excluding resident students, said Maria Nieto, a Cal State East Bay biology professor who coordinates her department's graduate studies. "To say, 'You can accept these students at the exclusion of California students,' goes against the mission of CSU."

You might enjoy this....a State U only accepting those from out of state

http://www.mercurynews.com/education/ci_21283757/california-state-university-departments-rebel-over-resident-enrollment?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

If you're a Californian interested in taking up graduate studies in January at a California State University campus, think again.

But if you live in another state or country, check it out and sign your check.

Cal State leaders have told the university's 23 campuses they will not be allowed to admit California graduate students for the spring term, which starts in January. Budget cuts made the system in the coming spring term unable to afford residents' heavily discounted education, campus leaders were told.

But nonresident students -- who pay considerably higher fees -- remain welcome, at least at some campuses, and that has become an issue leading some rebellious graduate schools to turn away the non-Californians -- and the financial windfall they would bring.

We either take both kinds of students or none, one professor said.

"It's appalling, and I would never, ever go along with" excluding resident students, said Maria Nieto, a Cal State East Bay biology professor who coordinates her department's graduate studies. "To say, 'You can accept these students at the exclusion of California students,' goes against the mission of CSU."

The CSU system is insanely cheap for California's cost of living (in my opinion) to in-state residents (for example, Sac State is $3550 per semester - and that's including all the miscellaneous fees). Hell, even the Cal system is cheap comparatively (13k a year, roughly).

I suspect if California residents paid a higher price (or one more aligned with what it should cost) and/or the state could generate revenue to continue to supplement it's education costs, then there wouldn't be this problem.

I know it has been argued ad nauseum here - but I see this as another flaw in Prop 13.

Archived