Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: News and Notes about Portis - from Oct 27

HailGreen28

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5937/news

"Oct 27 Though Portis has been jogging, coach Mike Shanahan says it will be at least two weeks before the running back can really test his groin injury out, the Washington Post reports.Recommendation: We already knew that he would be out this week, and the Redskins are on bye in Week 9, but this nugget suggests that Portis' Week 10 availability is very much in doubt as well."

Didn't see this posted anywhere here. Update on CP. And the link isn't a bad way to check for the latest news on players. Hope he gets well and comes back soon. :(

Would be great if we had TWO really good HBs for the first time in a while. :evilg: Though everybody's got a tough decision regarding CP's contract next season.

Would be great if we had TWO really good HBs for the first time in a while. :evilg: Though everybody's got a tough decision regarding CP's contract next season.

I've always been a fan of CPs and I think he can definitely help us this year and look forward to him coming back, however, in regards to the contract decision it's as easy as can be. He's a worn down role player at this stage of his career and isn't worth much more than the veteran minimum, his tenure in DC should be and will be over.

I think people still downplay the importance of Portis' pass blocking skills. If he can step up and take out those blitzing linebackers and stunting defensive ends up the middle McNabb is going to have an easier time getting that ball out accurately and on time.

Trust me after watching how the interior OL has played I don't downplay Portis' importance one bit

I would not be surprised to see him end up on IR. If he has any kind of set back when e gets back to practice thats pretty much it.

As for next year no way he is back unless he takes a vastly reduced contract and I doubt his pride lets im do that.

I would not be surprised to see him end up on IR. If he has any kind of set back when e gets back to practice thats pretty much it.

As for next year no way he is back unless he takes a vastly reduced contract and I doubt his pride lets im do that.

Just as ChipWhich said, CP wont be IR'd unless there is some major setback simply because we are still in the hunt for a playoff spot & they kno he will be very valuable down the stretch and into the postseasn. But I believe that CP knows that if he is willing to accept a "reduced" role then, if he wants to play here another yr (which he probably does if not for nothin else than all the records he's chasin) then he'll have to accpt a "reduced" contract. Simple as that.

I've always been a fan of CPs and I think he can definitely help us this year and look forward to him coming back, however, in regards to the contract decision it's as easy as can be. He's a worn down role player at this stage of his career and isn't worth much more than the veteran minimum, his tenure in DC should be and will be over.
But if his contract can be renegotiated, CP can still play at a high level. Still 4.0 avg this season.

There should still be some demand for CP, like LDT for the Jets. So we'd pay more than vet min. Keep paying him as long as he can play. We haven't had two good HBs since about 2006.

From this article already posted in another thread: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/clinton-portis/clinton-portis-says-he-will-ac.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

"He's a hard runner, downhill, and that's gonna provide a lot for us," Portis said. "With the [New York] Giants last night [against the Dallas Cowboys], you sit and watch the combination of [Ahmad] Bradshaw and [brandon] Jacobs, and I'm sure me and Ryan can work at the same time."

But if his contract can be renegotiated, CP can still play at a high level. Still 4.0 avg this season.

There should still be some demand for CP, like LDT for the Jets. So we'd pay more than vet min. Keep paying him as long as he can play. We haven't had two good HBs since about 2006.

From this article already posted in another thread: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/clinton-portis/clinton-portis-says-he-will-ac.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

"He's a hard runner, downhill, and that's gonna provide a lot for us," Portis said. "With the [New York] Giants last night [against the Dallas Cowboys], you sit and watch the combination of [Ahmad] Bradshaw and [brandon] Jacobs, and I'm sure me and Ryan can work at the same time."

You're eyes are clouded by burgundy and gold :). Portis does not have left what LT does. What Portis no longer has is lateral agility, the ability to outrun people or the ability to make people miss and break tackles. He's still a solid player because he plays hard, he always finds a way to gain positive yards and he's an excellent blocker but at this stage in his career he shouldn't be carrying the ball much more than spot duty, 5-8 carries a game. My feeling is, given Shany's history and his view on the value of RBs he'd rather (and will be able to) find some guys deeper in the draft to fill those roles. Believe me, I've loved Portis as a player and loved what he's done for us over these years he's been here but he just doesn't bring much to the table as a ball carrier anymore. Yes he's still good at finding the first level holes and making positive yardage but he's simply not going to make plays on the second and third level anymore. We need backs who can make something happen once they get through the line, not backs who put there head down and fall forward and can't get away from or run through DBs.

Edit: btw, I love Portis passion and everything but which role of the Bradshaw/Jacobs split is he planning on filling? Bradshaw breaks ankles and runs away from people, Jacobs demolishes people, Portis does neither. Just my :2cents:, the writing is on the wall, senitmentally we want Portis to keep going but it's over.

It really sounds like you have join that CP doubters group on ES at the beginning of the season. They all said very much the same thing. Since that guy gave the example of Jacobs/Bradshaw which isn't a bad example at all because Jacobs is only a year younger then CP just 3 less seasons played. The giants use both of them. The philly game Shanahan used both CP and Torain and we got so much production out of that, I loved it! When CP comes back Shanahan will bring that back and our offense is gunna get much better! HTTR!

It really sounds like you have join that CP doubters group on ES at the beginning of the season. They all said very much the same thing. Since that guy gave the example of Jacobs/Bradshaw which isn't a bad example at all because Jacobs is only a year younger then CP just 3 less seasons played. The giants use both of them. The philly game Shanahan used both CP and Torain and we got so much production out of that, I loved it! When CP comes back Shanahan will bring that back and our offense is gunna get much better! HTTR!

Ok, Brandon Jacobs is only a year younger BUT, Clinton has 2,225 career carries to Jacobs 836. No comparison. Also, Clinton came into the league young, he's an old 29 with a lot of wear and a lot carries under his belt. Not to mention a growing injury history.

"What Portis no longer has is lateral agility, the ability to outrun people or the ability to make people miss and break tackles."

take a look at his screen pass against the Eagles, and then say that again :D

Portis has lost *something* due to age and just wear and tear, but he can still juke and make people miss....

"What Portis no longer has is lateral agility, the ability to outrun people or the ability to make people miss and break tackles."

take a look at his screen pass against the Eagles, and then say that again :D

Portis has lost *something* due to age and just wear and tear, but he can still juke and make people miss....

How much do you pay attention to and watch other RBs around the league? Portis does not make people miss with nearly the kind of regularity you need to have an above average running game and he's never been a power runner. He runs with power for his size but he's never been a power runner. Look, CP has been probably my favorite Redskins of the Gibbs 2.0 and beyond era, his heart cannot be questioned and he's laid it on the line for this team but it is what it is. Watch Torain run, watch other backs around the league, he simply no longer brings the same skills to the table as other starting caliber backs. He's valuable in pass protection, he's got value as a guy who's going to take what's there, not lose yards and find a way to fall forward but he is no longer in any way shape of form a dynamic RB. The burst isn't there, the lateral movement isn't there, he's a role player at a position where role players are fairly easy to find.

How much do you pay attention to and watch other RBs around the league? Portis does not make people miss with nearly the kind of regularity you need to have an above average running game and he's never been a power runner. He runs with power for his size but he's never been a power runner. Look, CP has been probably my favorite Redskins of the Gibbs 2.0 and beyond era, his heart cannot be questioned and he's laid it on the line for this team but it is what it is. Watch Torain run, watch other backs around the league, he simply no longer brings the same skills to the table as other starting caliber backs. He's valuable in pass protection, he's got value as a guy who's going to take what's there, not lose yards and find a way to fall forward but he is no longer in any way shape of form a dynamic RB. The burst isn't there, the lateral movement isn't there, he's a role player at a position where role players are fairly easy to find.

Oh i agree, I think we should start moving forward in the RB position, but i just wanted to point out that i was impressed with him in the Eagles game and a Portis/Torain combo isnt that bad...But I really think a Torain/Davis/Portis combo is even better.

i have to be honest.... i have been fairly disappointed with CP since pretty much day one. i am impressed with his blocking skills but when it comes to his running .... i never thought he became what he could have been.

it seems every time he has ever broke a good run and should have taken it to the house.... he makes the wrong cut near the end and gets tackled or ran out of bounds.... or he slips or something... he just seems to be an underachiever relative to his own abilities

what i admire most about Torain is his patience when running.... he knows how to wait for blocks and lanes to develop .....

i think the 2 could work well together but the question is.... how much DOES CP have left in him? i think <assuming he recovers well> he could have 2 good years left and a few more being a role player/back up.... just dont know if it should be here...

Hmm. I'm really divided on this. I've had CP's back since he went downhill last year. I chalked it up to injuries. But injuries or no, Torain comes in the very next week and lights it up. I have a fear that if they start 'splitting carries', Portis will look slightly inferior and people will be angry about carries getting taken away from Torain.

On the other hand, Torain's success could rub off on portis, and he could come through big, as a cutback runner and receiver. Not to mention his insane blocking. I think we've missed out on a couple blocks 30yds upfield with CP out. I suppose he would be a perfect 3rd and long back.

I just don't know. I'm too high on Torain right now to really care, honestly. If he puts up a 3rd 100yd game in a row, then there's no doubt he needs to be getting the carries. Like, for awhile.

You're eyes are clouded by burgundy and gold :). Portis does not have left what LT does. What Portis no longer has is lateral agility, the ability to outrun people or the ability to make people miss and break tackles. He's still a solid player because he plays hard, he always finds a way to gain positive yards and he's an excellent blocker but at this stage in his career he shouldn't be carrying the ball much more than spot duty, 5-8 carries a game. My feeling is, given Shany's history and his view on the value of RBs he'd rather (and will be able to) find some guys deeper in the draft to fill those roles. Believe me, I've loved Portis as a player and loved what he's done for us over these years he's been here but he just doesn't bring much to the table as a ball carrier anymore. Yes he's still good at finding the first level holes and making positive yardage but he's simply not going to make plays on the second and third level anymore. We need backs who can make something happen once they get through the line, not backs who put there head down and fall forward and can't get away from or run through DBs.

Edit: btw, I love Portis passion and everything but which role of the Bradshaw/Jacobs split is he planning on filling? Bradshaw breaks ankles and runs away from people, Jacobs demolishes people, Portis does neither. Just my :2cents:, the writing is on the wall, senitmentally we want Portis to keep going but it's over.

You're so wrong here it's not even funny. :)

First off, you took his Bradshaw/Jacobs comment way too literally. I don't think he meant that he and Torain would be exactly the same as them, but he was obviously pointing towards the fact that they share the load more than anything else.

Second, Portis can still outrun people AND can still break tackles, he came out against Philly showing just that when everyone was destroying him for the play against the Rams where he went down. I think that lit a fire under him, and it's too bad he got hurt, otherwise he would still be getting a bunch of carries and probably more than Torain. Now, we understand he's not the old Portis who could break the big one at any point like in Denver... heck, he hasn't been that guy pretty much since 2004. Gibbs turned him into a different runner, and he was still really good. He still is, but he usually starts seasons off slow since he's been here. That's exactly what happened this season, and just when he started to get things going he got hurt.

People downplay his quickness and elusiveness way too much simply because he doesn't burn teams as consistently as he used to. He's not a burner, but he's one of the best slasher-type RBs in this league. He's still elusive enough to be considered as such, and he has already shown he can pop big gains off this season by cutting it back. Let's see how involved he is when he gets back to being healthy, then we'll know whether he's done or not. Shanahan won't shy away from keeping him on the bench if he's not going to help the team considerably.

I think they would keep CP if it wasn't for his contract. I would like to see him used as Kevin Faulk is used up in New England.

I think CP would be open to being a Third down back exclusively. But I doubt he'll take a pay cut.

When has CP ever be a reliable release out of the backfield like Faulk? Not even close, hes kept in cause hes such a STUD blocker---LOL. Hes gone and so what, let him take his stupid comments/behavior elsewhere
CP does a better job releasing and breaking tackles after the catch than most starting RBs today.

Do we really want to go next season with only ONE proven HB? Or try to keep TWO?

I will admit that CP is not the runner he was, all those 300+ carry seasons have definitely caught up to him. He cannot seem to stay healthy anymore.

However, I think you guys underestimate CP. He has the heart of a lion, and when he is healthy, he still has the speed. He does all the little things right as far as pass protection, following blocks, finding open field, etc. He is a battle tested veteran, he knows how to get the yards that are there. I think CP will have a resurgence when he comes back fully healthy and rested, especially the way our line is playing and with a big guy like Torrain to wear down the linebackers.

I understand the "what have you done for me lately attitude" of the NFL, but with what Portis has done for this franchise, I am willing to take a wait and see approach before deciding whether or not he should be here next year. I truely expect Portis to play very well when he comes back, and then you guys may sing a different tune.

Mark my words.

Hail!

When has CP ever be a reliable release out of the backfield like Faulk? Not even close, hes kept in cause hes such a STUD blocker---LOL. Hes gone and so what, let him take his stupid comments/behavior elsewhere

Are you serious? When has he EVER? ...:doh:

Archived