Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lack of sacks = lots of holds

Hunter44

I know we've been a little shy in the sack department (8's not bad though) but how many holds have been committed against us? I like a sack like the next guy but when your opponents have a big play and then the hold call comes in....excellent!! :point2sky Nothing sucks the life out of an offense like a penalty...

I just explained this conspiracy theory to a co-worker this morning. RAK is held on EVERY player, but so long as it goes for little or no gain, the refs don't call it. So on a drive that lasts 7 plays, with 6 throwing plays, RAK is held 6 times. On the ONE play where they break for a big gain or even a TD, BOOM! In comes the holding penalty. If I'm the LT and I'm getting away with it all game, then, hell, why not? But you also gotta be thinking, my luck is going to run out eventually...

And THAT is why we have had so many, late-game, scoring plays nullified by an opponent's holding call. You can't really complain about a holding penalty if you are the Cowboys or the Eagles, and you have gotten away with 1,000,000 holds and the one time it actually helps you put points on the board, you are called for cheating...

The problem with holds vs sacks (and some might say its a trivial point) doesn't have as much to do with the game itself, but all the media and fan responses. Already I've seen posts and threads on ES about how Orakpo isn't doing that well this year and they're 'worried' about him. If Orakpo averages 2 holding calls per game (which is very possible), that exceeds by far any numbers other guys have put up in sacks, but it just doesn't get the same attention, and then you have all these negative vibes around the team for not getting the stats.

What's most annoying about this is that a sack is all on the players, while holds needs the refs to first see it and then call it. I'm sure in all the games this year we've found ourselves screaming at the TV about Orakpo being held and there being no calls.

The problem with holds vs sacks (and some might say its a trivial point) doesn't have as much to do with the game itself, but all the media and fan responses. Already I've seen posts and threads on ES about how Orakpo isn't doing that well this year and they're 'worried' about him. If Orakpo averages 2 holding calls per game (which is very possible), that exceeds by far any numbers other guys have put up in sacks, but it just doesn't get the same attention, and then you have all these negative vibes around the team for not getting the stats.

What's most annoying about this is that a sack is all on the players, while holds needs the refs to first see it and then call it. I'm sure in all the games this year we've found ourselves screaming at the TV about Orakpo being held and there being no calls.

Very true...big Al had 2 holding calls on him this week. Great for minus 20 yards and a drive killer but it would be nice to see the big guy unload on a QB...same for Rak

Sounds good Hitman... :point2sky

The problem with holds vs sacks (and some might say its a trivial point) doesn't have as much to do with the game itself, but all the media and fan responses. Already I've seen posts and threads on ES about how Orakpo isn't doing that well this year and they're 'worried' about him.

Anyone worried about Orakpo is an idiot... but so is anyone convinced that getting so many holds makes him an elite pass-rusher. He's good but he has a ton of room for improvement and that improvement will inevitably be reflected in his sack and forced fumble totals.

If Orakpo averages 2 holding calls per game (which is very possible), that exceeds by far any numbers other guys have put up in sacks, but it just doesn't get the same attention, and then you have all these negative vibes around the team for not getting the stats.

Those other guys get holds, too, and they don't get any recognition for it either. I would imagine that it comes close to balancing out in the end when you're looking at some of the better pass rushers in the league.

From my quick review of the ESPN play-by-play,

Dallas: 3 holding calls, 1 declined

Houston: 0 holding calls

St. Louis: 3 holding calls, 1 declined

Philly: 4 holding calls, 0 decline

Thanks for that... :applause:

Potentially that's 10 sacks plus the 8 we actually have....now I know that some of those are on running plays but even if half of them are passing hold's, that's still pretty impressive.

Personally I think a sack is better than a holding penalty. Quaterback gets sacked there is always the chance of a fumble, there is also the combined wear and tear on the quaterback. Bears lost two quaterbacks the other night due to sacks, that doesn't happen if the lineman gets called for a hold.

The fact that so many complain about Orakpo's lack of sacks is a testament to them being the casual viewer vs some that truly understand the game. Not to mention that people are so obsessed with numbers, numbers and more numbers thanks to fantasy football.

The more Orakpo gets held, the more he's going to get the call with each passing game. Two of the biggest plays against our dfense thus far have been called back due to what? Holding. The refs know the ability of these players and there is a reason that the better players of the game get the calls. Orakpo has already fallen into that category after just 20 games in the NFL. Impressive.

Personally I think a sack is better than a holding penalty. Quaterback gets sacked there is always the chance of a fumble, there is also the combined wear and tear on the quaterback. Bears lost two quaterbacks the other night due to sacks, that doesn't happen if the lineman gets called for a hold.

No doubts, I totally agree with you but if we're not getting a sack because of a hold it's nice to see the refs calling the hold. :point2sky

Archived