Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lack of sacks = lots of holds

Hunter44

Personally I think a sack is better than a holding penalty. Quaterback gets sacked there is always the chance of a fumble, there is also the combined wear and tear on the quaterback. Bears lost two quaterbacks the other night due to sacks, that doesn't happen if the lineman gets called for a hold.

I am in the same boat. I like the chance of a defensive turnover much better than 1st and 20.

I am in the same boat. I like the chance of a defensive turnover much better than 1st and 20.

Agreed 100%. Although 1st and 20 is nice, it's nowhere as near as nice as 2nd and 17 with the quarterback pulling turf out of his facemask and the OL getting on each other.

Agreed 100%. Although 1st and 20 is nice, it's nowhere as near as nice as 2nd and 17 with the quarterback pulling turf out of his facemask and the OL getting on each other.

Exactly how i feel. Along with ****ing with the QBs psyche. Sacks have a far greater impact on the game than does a hold. Defense gains momentum, increases the chance for turnovrs & QB mistakes

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/10/on_brian_orakpo_and_holding.html

orakpotexanshold910.jpg

Remember this image? This was an uncalled sleeper hold applied to Brian Orakpo during a crucial moment of the Texans game, as Houston drove for the tying score. A few days later, I asked Orakpo if he remembered the play.

"No idea," he said. "I'm past that game. I'm past it. I can't even remember right now."

The Pro Bowler seemed surprised at the question, but by Sunday, he was surprised no longer. Redskins blogger Matt Terl asked him the same question about the hands forever clutching his body parts; "guys just keep continuously to hold me out there," Orakpo told him. Indeed, like Albert Haynesworth, he drew two holdings calls last week (see images below), and probably could have drawn more. (The Redskins, by the way, have earned 305 penalty yards this season, third in the NFL.)

"Hand(s) or arm(s) that encircle a defender -- i.e., hook an opponent -- are to be considered illegal and officials are to call a foul for holding," reads the NFL digest of rules. And you've probably heard the NFL cliche that holding could be called 11 times on every play, if officials were so inclined. But gird yourself. You're about to hear it again.

"100 percent," Chris Wilson said, when I asked how many plays involve holding. "They hold in the NFL, period. If you don't get held, you get a sack."

"Honestly, they could probably call it every play if they wanted," Adam Carriker added. "I think they try to call the extreme ones, the ones that are obvious. They've told us, if they're here holding, we're not gonna call it," he said, grabbing his own chest. "You've got to be out [by the side], or you've got to flail and make it obvious."

Do offensive linemen have a different interpretation? Well, sort of.

"I never hold," center Casey Rabach told me. "It's against the rules. Obviously."

"There are plays where you grab a guy, but you just try to stay within the framework of his shoulder pads, and they almost never call that," guard Artis Hicks said. "But on the flip side, as a defensive lineman, a lot of times when we the offensive linemen are trying to work combinations, they reach out and grab us to keep us off linebackers. And that's seldomly called, but it could be called every play. They grab your jersey, shoulder pads, anything they can grab to keep you off the linebackers."

See, the offensive linemen are actually oppressed! The holders are being held! And, in the interest of fairness, is there anything a held player can do to help his cause?

"When I was in St. Louis, I would tell [officials], but they didn't really pay attention," Carriker told me. "[Flailing] does help, but at the same time you're also gambling that they're going to make the call and you're kind of giving yourself up on the play, because if you're flailing, you're not making the play."

What about looking back at officials in a pleading, helpless manner?

"You're looking for something, but most of the time you won't get anything," Andre Carter said. "If they don't see it, they won't call it. You've just got to get there a little bit harder."

Somewhere amid these conversations, it occurred to me that "holding" was possibly not the ideal name for this particular foul. Maybe "Out-Of-Position Holding" would be better. Or "Sleeper-Hold Holding." Or "Offensive Tackling."

"The only time they actually call holding is when you're actually pulling a guy," Wilson agreed. "It's called holding, but it's not for holding or grabbing. They can grab as long as they've got position."

Anyhow, back to the image seen here, the one that wasn't called. A few days later, I asked Orakpo what percentage of plays he's held on.

"Oh, I don't know. I don't keep track of that no more," he said. "It's starting to become a habit. But you've just got to keep working."

orakpoholding1010a.JPG

orakpoholding1010c.jpg

orakpoholding1010b.jpg

Orakpo needs to learn how to get/stay free. It's a part of the process.

As far as holding goes, I'm sure other teams suffer from it too. Pretty much any team with a good pass rush I would expect. Does seam like we have a lot of really obvious ones not called though.

On the flip side it doesn't appear our OL can get a guy in a head lock and not get pinged for it so maybe they are all out to get us after all....

I know we've been a little shy in the sack department (8's not bad though) but how many holds have been committed against us? I like a sack like the next guy but when your opponents have a big play and then the hold call comes in....excellent!! :point2sky Nothing sucks the life out of an offense like a penalty...

I agree with you 100% Brian Orakpo mentioned this in a interview. He mentioned that he can't get sacks because the offensive line is holding on him. That's good because holding penalties are a major loss of yards for an offense. That holding penalty could easily move a team out of fiend goal range and cause the kicker to miss. That could win us the game. I love it when the official throws in the flag and calls a holding penalty on the other team. But I see Orakpo's point. I think they hold on him because they know how dangerous of a weapon he is when the QB has to take extra time to find a receiver.

I rather have the sack because at least you can't not call a sack. It seems like Orakpo is held every play and they don't call it. On that Vick scramble he was held worst than Haynesworth was.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. I was sure that's what the flag was for. I didn't even see the hold on Haynesworth until they showed a replay.

Rak will hav to deal with the every game and will need to learn technique to get around or obviously show he is getting held. He is a force and as long as the refs are not calling it (except for the cowturds game) they will continue to hold. Lining up against him without holding must scare to crap out of many lineman. He better strap on a cup as that will be next....

Archived