Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The only problem with keeping Nene and getting a center is floor spacing. Nene has to be around the basket. It might make sense to trade Nene but Houston would want no part of that and I doubt Phoenix would either. If we could trade Nene we could allow both Okafor and Ariza expire and have a great bit of cap space to try to sign a PF. That's not happening though.

The other option would be putting nene at the 5 and trying to move the other pieces for a 4. Not sure who we could even consider though.

Nene's only giving you around 25 minutes a night though. I think Nene can operate from the high post and he's also got a mid range jumper so you can have him at PF as a pick and fade option. He's not a stretch 4, but you don't need one for all your line ups.

Nene is going to be tough to deal. I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where we wouldn't just be better off keeping him because we'd have to take such a downgrade to move him. Kind of like how Denver did...

And that's fine with me. I'm fine letting his contract play out here because he's a good player when he plays, is a good locker room guy, and his contract expires in time for us to make a run at Kevin Love.

Watching that video, when Beal goes behind his back and hits the shot high off the glass... you knew the rim was a hoola hoop for him.  A runner high off the glass is one of those shots that no one practices, and frankly I doubt anyone even thinks about shooting it that way, it just happens without real intent.  If you hit those you're probably having one of those days where you make a bunch of shots you normally wouldn't. 

Anyone know why Gortat regressed so badly last season? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer, just a lot of agreement that he had.

My thinking is that he could be a potential buy low candidate, particularly if Alex Len plays a lot early on.

Loss of Steve Nash, and everyone else. Incorporation of 3pt chuckers. Lack of any pg play. Lack of motivation in a team that was clearly in a rebuilding mode. Cant guarantee he will get better any time soon either.

We really need Booker to give us some offense at the four spot when he's playing with Ariza and Seraphin...

I agree with Phil, all of our three attempts have been good shots. Just haven't been making them. With very little offense coming from our bigs sans Nene, we're going to live and die by the three point line this year. Need to think about starting Martell if we have to start Booker and Seraphin a lot.

We really need Booker to give us some offense at the four spot when he's playing with Ariza and Seraphin...

I'm hoping that Wittman is still just tinkering with the lineups, I'd be pretty pissed if we start the season with Ariza over Martell in the starting lineup.

Ariza has been the recipient of some wide open shots that he's just missing. Martell would convert at a higher clip.

Switched to a Knicks feed after I lost the one of Buck and Phil. They're gushing about Wall after he hit that elbow jumper. Said something like, "that's been the slowest part of his game to develop, but if he hits that thing consistently... my goodness. He'll be in the top 5 to 7 players in the league if he does that. He does everything else."

The league thinks really really highly of Wall. It's nice.

Beal just looks so legit.

Agreed.

Also very pleasantly surprised with Vesely this preseason. Consistently rebounding.

That spin move Beal used is my go to move on NBA 2K.

Melo doesn't even come close to getting the calls LeBron does.

Holy crap Rice got up on that goal tend.

Gotta pump fake there Ves.

Did he just try a turnaround fade? Wow.

Agreed.

Also very pleasantly surprised with Vesely this preseason. Consistently rebounding.

That spin move Beal used is my go to move on NBA 2K.

Melo doesn't even come close to getting the calls LeBron does.

Holy crap Rice got up on that goal tend.

Gotta pump fake there Ves.

Did he just try a turnaround fade? Wow.

When I've gone to games, he shows that turnaround fade a bunch during shootaround. Its not a terrible shot for him with his height, he can always get it off. Results are mixed though, even when it looks good, it doesn't always fall.

When I've gone to games, he shows that turnaround fade a bunch during shootaround. Its not a terrible shot for him with his height, he can always get it off. Results are mixed though, even when it looks good, it doesn't always fall.

If he could hit the Dirk shot consistently, that'd be an enormous offensive weapon. You're right, it would always be there. Imagine if Ves actually drew a double team when he posted up from 10-15 feet.  :lol:

With his natural passing ability, that could change his utility entirely.

I've seen nothing and heard nothing. What's the word on Otto so far? Anything impressive at all?

Hip injury. Considering the depth at the SF spot I wouldn't expect to see much of Otto-bot early in the regular season. He looked horrible in summer league and hasn't been able to work with the team in camp because of that injury. He'll have a hell of a time taking minutes from mid level Webster and Ariza. Especially with Glenn Rice Jr looking like he'll get minutes at the 2guard ( where they sometimes play Webster).

I feel like a lot of people are down on him. You don't hear anyone talk about the wizards needing him to play to make the playoffs. You don't really hear anyone really interested in talking about him at all, which is weird considering where he was drafted.

Edited by Destino

Ted just mentioned on the broadcast that it will probably be a couple of weeks before we see Otto.

That sucks.

Hip injury. Considering the depth at the SF spot I wouldn't expect to see much of Otto-bot early in the regular season. He looked horrible in summer league and hasn't been able to work with the team in camp because of that injury. He'll have a hell of a time taking minutes from mid level Webster and Ariza. Especially with Glenn Rice Jr looking like he'll get minutes at the 2guard ( where they sometimes play Webster).

I feel like a lot of people are down on him. You don't hear anyone talk about the wizards needing him to play to make the playoffs. You don't really hear anyone really interested in talking about him at all, which is weird considering where he was drafted.

I don't think anyone knows what the plan for him this season is.  Nobody knows what to make of him yet.  We know he's the long term plan at SF.  But until Ariza gets moved or expires, there aren't going to be a ton of minutes for Otto at SF.  I don't know how I feel about that.

With a #3 pick, I'm of the mind that guy needs to play.  Don't want to Darko Milicic him.

Also a lot of people are pissed that we picked him over Nerlens Noel.  They're down on him because he's not 6'11 with another 5 inches in high top fade.