Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

36 minutes ago, Destino said:

Last years finals argues that coaching still plays a huge role.  Kerr was awful and basically fumbled away a title.  He never got away from switching everything on the perimeter and allowed Lebron to go at Curry.  He insisted on using Festus when it was clear that he was a disaster and then put him in game 7 with a lead late that instantly vanished.  Being a media daring though no one really roasted him for being outcoached Lue, but he very clearly was.

Im still amazed that someone thought it a good idea to switch the smallest player onto Lebron for several games rather than just go under the screen and dare him to launch deep threes all game.  

I think last year was the quintessential example of why top end roster talent is what matters in a playoff series, not depth or coaching.  LeBron was way better than Curry, Irving is/was better than Thompson, and Love is/was better than Green.

That's why the Warriors went after Durant.  It's an arms race against Cleveland.

44 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think last year was the quintessential example of why top end roster talent is what matters in a playoff series, not depth or coaching.  LeBron was way better than Curry, Irving is/was better than Thompson, and Love is/was better than Green.

That's why the Warriors went after Durant.  It's an arms race against Cleveland.

So letting Lebron pick his defender had no impact on the games?  Rotations don't matter, defensive schemes are meaningless, and really it just comes down to star power?  That's nonsense.  The best organizations win the most, not just the best players.  We crown the players that win the most "the best" but the truth is there are some fantastic players that have had less success than inferior players.  The Warriors over powered the Cavs early, Cleveland adjusted and the Warriors couldn't find an answer and crumbled.  A lot of that falls on Kerr IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You don't need a reason to go after a former mvp in his prime. In any case, Durant wanted to go to the bay and that's all there is to it. 

2 hours ago, Destino said:

So letting Lebron pick his defender had no impact on the games?  Rotations don't matter, defensive schemes are meaningless, and really it just comes down to star power?  That's nonsense.  The best organizations win the most, not just the best players.  We crown the players that win the most "the best" but the truth is there are some fantastic players that have had less success than inferior players.  The Warriors over powered the Cavs early, Cleveland adjusted and the Warriors couldn't find an answer and crumbled.  A lot of that falls on Kerr IMO.

What were they supposed to do, abandon their defensive scheme mid series?

Even if LeBron exploits a match up issue for which the Warriors had no answer, Golden State would have won if Curry hadn't sucked so bad in game seven.  LeBron kicked his ass because LeBron is better than him and that was the fundamental issue.

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like McClellan.  I hope he sticks around.  He's got big time speed and he has some length.

and he jumps like he's part kangaroo. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What were they supposed to do, abandon their defensive scheme mid series?

Or change it slightly by saying "hey guys, don't switch on Lebron.  We're going to go under screens on him."  You know, the usual things coaches do.  I think they call it "adjusting."