Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

5 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Durant is a loser that chose to join the best team in the league to hitch an easy ride to a title instead of working for it. Of course his numbers are going to look ridiculous when he plays substantial minutes against the bench units. He had a chance to look like a hero in his hometown and didn't even give an interview because they missed the playoffs or something. He's a former mvp that chose to take the cake walk to success. Lame. Don't want him here. 

They don't give you a bigger trophy for "working for it".  And he joined a team that didn't actually will the title last year, in case we forgot.  Nothing is a given, they still gotta put in the work.

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Mahnimi may not be a savior but he's better than what we've got and gives us one more decent body off the bench.

This team is playing without a backup center, Jason Smith has been filling the role but that's not really his game.  Adding Mahinmi should be an instant upgrade and give the team better options in games when Gortat needs rest or gets in foul trouble.  I would like to see Jason Smith at the 4 when Morris goes foul crazy and the opposing team has a real PF.  Mahinmi let's us do that.  Kevin Love killed us when there was no big body to put on him.  

Problem is that this limited role falls well short of justifying his contract and he gives you nothing offensively without players around him to create his scoring opportunities.  He has no offensive game to speak of, so I'm not sure he can do much of anything with Burke and Satoransky.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They don't give you a bigger trophy for "working for it".  And he joined a team that didn't actually will the title last year, in case we forgot.  Nothing is a given, they still gotta put in the work.

No. But they do give respect for it. 

Nah, that team just happened to have the greatest regular season record of all time and lost in the finals due to Lebron going supernova. Sure you have to work for it. But there's a big difference between jacking shots over double teams and draining shots over single covered backups. Not the same work. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

All of Portland's big money moves were terrible.  They'll regret giving that huge deal to McCollum too.  That team is monstrously expensive and has no future.

What makes you say that?  If anything I think McCollum has justified his contract this season.  The Blazers other moves have been a disasters.... though I think they are also underachieving this season.  They aren't the most talented defensively but the few times I've seen them play, it didn't look like they were really trying all that hard on that side of the ball either.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

What makes you say that?  If anything I think McCollum has justified his contract this season.  The Blazers other moves have been a disasters.... though I think they are also underachieving this season.  

Agreed.  McCollum and Lillard are the West's version of Wall and Beal.  They did ok there.

3 hours ago, Destino said:

What makes you say that?  If anything I think McCollum has justified his contract this season.  The Blazers other moves have been a disasters.... though I think they are also underachieving this season.  They aren't the most talented defensively but the few times I've seen them play, it didn't look like they were really trying all that hard on that side of the ball either.  

His defense.  He's 78th in DRPM among 2s with a -1.76, which makes him a bad fit next to Lillard, who is also terrible at defense.  Their team is capped out and Al Farouq Aminu is their only perimeter player who isn't a horrible defensive player.

I don't think McCollum has any upside on that end of the floor either.  He's 25 and shown no signs of competency on defense yet, and he's small for his position and not particularly strong.

Portland couldn't let him walk for nothing, but they were in a bad position of having to pay a guy a max deal who will probably never make an AS team and doesn't fit well with their star player because of their defensive issues.  I think they're going to have to trade him.