Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Has Oubre always been so serious?  I was watching tonight and the team looked like their old selves laughing it up, but Oubre was stone faced.  The expression doesn't match his goofy hair.  

Whatever he's doing, it's working because he's been limiting the mistakes lately and putting in good minutes.

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Has Oubre always been so serious?  I was watching tonight and the team looked like their old selves laughing it up, but Oubre was stone faced.  The expression doesn't match his goofy hair.  

Whatever he's doing, it's working because he's been limiting the mistakes lately and putting in good minutes.

You see him body up Giannis everytime he came down the court down the stretch? Like he was throwing shoulder/elbow checks into Giannis' body, hard enough to make him look at the ref right after. Definitely got some dog in him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Yeah.  He's intense.  And he's been dialed in.  He is already the best perimeter defender on the team by a country mile.

John turned back the clock tonight to the '14-'15 version of himself on defense tonight.  He was outstanding.  He took his match ups personally and asserted himself.

Nice team win.  The bench is playing better because Oubre stepped up and has become the go to guy for them.  That kid is special and it's only a matter of time before he's starting and Otto moves to PF.

On 11/26/2016 at 9:29 PM, TheItalianStallion said:

Ya know, if...........

1) Mahinmi rejoins the lineup
2) Brooks stops playing Smith over Nicholson
3) Oubre takes a substantial step forward in his development this year
4) Thornton can become more consistent

........then we could actually have a respectable bench. One has already happened, though he'll still need more time to get in the flow of things. Another is instantly correctable. Another may happen, we'll have to be patient. Another probably won't happen.

#1 needs to be un-scratched off, but if yesterday was any indication, #3 may need to be scratched off soon.

I thought Trey Burke did a solid job running the offense tonight.  He hit his dribble pull ups and he fed his teammates.  He's settled down after his awful start to the season.

But we're basically running a six man rotation right now.  Our starters will eventually wear down.  Kelly has become the only reserve that Brooks really trusts.

• Like 1

Not a single one of our offseason acquisitions has solidified themselves as part of the regular rotation.  ****ing Mahinmi.  He better end up being good.  Not even Nene had such a poor start to his seasons when he was here.  Gortat is going to break down and we'll be screwed if Mahinmi doesn't get back soon.

All of our depth has fallen flat except Oubre.  Right now we're completely screwed if any of our starters get hurt.  I'm not giving up on Sato long term, but I have given up on expecting much from him this season.  He's not ready to play a big role for a team with playoff aspirations.  I'm not giving up on Mahinmi either, but I honestly don't know when he'll return and what he'll look like.  This may be a lost season for him too.  And none of our other guards or bigs aside from those two have proven to be worth much.

Trey Burke is just going to have to step up and shock us, because we do not have the guards to effectively spell Wall and Beal otherwise.

I hate the idea of Ernie getting to make any trades, but that's probably the only way we're going to find a third guard and third big in time to dig ourselves out of the hole this season.

Noticed they've been playing the hell out of the starters as well, save Kelly.  Really want to hear Scott's take on why Sato has fallen in the doghouse, and gotta believe Mahinmi will be in the rotation whenever he gets back.  If there's no structural damage, he needs to be out there, too.  Overall, I do believe guys like Burke and Thorton are starting to settle in, against the Bucks with the bench and Morris, they did pretty well and didn't collapse.