Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Australian Rules Football

CoolUsernameHere

Did anyone else catch the "Grand Final" of the Australian Football League the other night? I caught the tail end of it, and I have to say, I was incredibly entertained. It was very exciting to watch, though I had no clue what was going on most of the time. It kind of seemed like a hybrid of soccer, rugby and American football.

Anybody here know anything about this sport? I know I've seen some Australian folks here on ExtremeSkins. Is this the most prominent sport in Australia?

I could definitely get into it.

Aussie-rules is definitely the most popular sport nationwide. It's not that popular in New South Wales (where Sydney is) and Queensland, but dominates the rest of the country.

This was an amazing Grand Final. There have been only three drawn Grand Finals in the last 100 years. I love the archaic rule that makes them have to play the game again next weekend (applicable only to the Grand Final, not to the rest of the "finals," or playoffs, where they add overtime). Can you imagine if they did that for the Super Bowl?

This was an amazing Grand Final. There have been only three drawn Grand Finals in the last 100 years. I love the archaic rule that makes them have to play the game again next weekend (applicable only to the Grand Final, not to the rest of the "finals," or playoffs, where they add overtime). Can you imagine if they did that for the Super Bowl?

Yeah, I hate using the word "epic" these days thanks to my peers, but it perfectly describes that rule. I'm making plans to watch this Saturday, assuming it'll be on TV here again.

I've been watching the game from last Saturday on ESPN3, since I missed most of it. I can't believe how easily it keeps my eyes glued.

As a fan of one of the teams that played, I have been feeling numb since the final siren on Saturday afternoon. It has caused all sorts of problems elsewhere as the game seems to have priority over anything else that may have been planned. A major horse racing meeting has been put forward to the Sunday; a national league soccer match has been rescheduled; changes to the ground (for another sport) have been delayed; then there are team related functions that have been cancelled / postponed. The only one's who are laughing are those who run the AFL as they can now sell another 100,000 tickets.

Then, to top of that 'bleh' feeling, the Redskins played like that!

BTW, if the scores are level again next Saturday, there will be extra time - 2 x 5 minutes.

Another BTW, we don't have extra time during the regular season games either.

ESPN would definitely be well-served to show more AFL games next season. I have talked to several people who randomly caught it and couldn't stop watching. It's a very fun sport to watch (once you learn some of the rules and get past the apparent chaos of it) and honestly it makes NFL games seem pretty boring.

As a fan of one of the teams that played, I have been feeling numb since the final siren on Saturday afternoon. It has caused all sorts of problems elsewhere as the game seems to have priority over anything else that may have been planned. A major horse racing meeting has been put forward to the Sunday; a national league soccer match has been rescheduled; changes to the ground (for another sport) have been delayed; then there are team related functions that have been cancelled / postponed. The only one's who are laughing are those who run the AFL as they can now sell another 100,000 tickets.

Then, to top of that 'bleh' feeling, the Redskins played like that!

You're just bitter because Collingwood had it and gave it up. :)

I would say it refers to club membership. There are club members who pay a truck load of money for the privilege of being a member, and then there are just those who are supporters of the club. For example, I am a fan of the Redskins, but I'm not a 'paid up' fan of the Redskins.

Think of it like being a season ticket holder (or is that something totally different?).

Y'know, SA, you complimented our friend on the other board for posting the right Magpies logo. I would think you could at least do the same for the Redskins. ;)

What's wrong with the 'Skins logo I use? Has it changed? Is it because it's the helmet logo?

Nobody has pointed out the use of the incorrect logo until now, so I thought it was correct.

What's wrong with the 'Skins logo I use? Has it changed? Is it because it's the helmet logo?

Nobody has pointed out the use of the incorrect logo until now, so I thought it was correct.

The logo on the helmet in your sig was used in the Redskins first Super Bowl season (Theismann, Riggins, et al.) The difference is that in that logo, the feathers wrap around the circle. The current logo is this one:

redskins.jpg

Collingwood FC memberships

Legends - $795 / year

Captain's - $510 / year

These are two of the top three levels of membership (the highest level is a 5 year package for $4500), with varying benefits. Some provide guaranteed Finals (play offs) tickets, whereas others just include entry to the game and a seat.

Interesting. I guess it's like season ticket packages, but with way more options and perks.

Do a lot of people over there become paid up members or is it mainly something that the die-hard fans do?

Collingwood FC memberships

Legends - $795 / year

Captain's - $510 / year

These are two of the top three levels of membership (the highest level is a 5 year package for $4500), with varying benefits. Some provide guaranteed Finals (play offs) tickets, whereas others just include entry to the game and a seat.

OK, but those are premium memberships - more akin to Club, Loge or Suite tickets for the Redskins. If you're comparing like for like, you'd compare Redskins regular season tickets with a Collingwood 11-game membership, which is $170.

Interesting. I guess it's like season ticket packages, but with way more options and perks.

Do a lot of people over there become paid up members or is it mainly something that the die-hard fans do?

Lots of people become members. The interesting thing is that 10 of the 16 (soon to be 17, then 18 with expansion) AFL teams are in Victoria, and 9 of them are in Melbourne. So generally you don't have to get on a waiting list. Things are different for some of the interstate teams, where there is a waiting list (eg West Coast Eagles, from Perth).

Archived