Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Weurffel makes it, is Johnson out?

NVskinsfan

If woeful makes the team then ham sandwich must go to the PS. If PR gets hurt and woeful is in, there's about a 75% chance of him getting hurt within a quarter. Ham sandwich is in no position to play at this point or any time soon. He just hasn't got enough experience. We need two veteran backups. Also, ham sandwich hasn't shown enough to believe there would be much of a risk of somebody claiming him off the PS. He just wouldn't really fit as anyone's 3rd string at this point because of his profound lack of experience in college and at the pro level. With all the qb injuries, teams see that it's quite realistic that all 3 qb's are going to have to play in the course of the year. You really can't afford to have someone who flat out isn't ready to play as the 3rd these days.

Yes and No. If Woeful's play elevates him into the #2 QB spot, then I think Rob Johnson is in deep :pooh::pooh::pooh: And I look for him to eventually get cut, sooner rather than later.

Because Woeful would be making the veteran minimum if he were #2 and Johnson would be getting $1.2 million to sit on his a$$ and get no snaps in practice. Teams frown on that kind of an arrangement and pecking order. :laugh:

I really can't see Waffle taking over the number 2 spot. In spite of Spurrier's obvious affection for the guy (which there is nothing wrong with that), Spurrier has shown that he can put his personal feelings aside (at least to a certain degree) and make a hard choice.

Even if Waffle does make #2, Johnson will not be released - as others have pointed out, Hamden is not in a position to take over in the event of an emergency.

Caretaker,

You are overlooking one important thing here in my mind, if Woeful becomes the #2 QB. Whereas it is true Hamdan is not ready to play [more then likely he winds up on the PS and is later assigned to NFL Europe], the Skins can easily cut Rob Johnson and pick up ANOTHER EXPERIENCED or veteran QB. Not that the guy they pick up is going to be that much better, but at least they wouldn't have to pay him $1.2 million pesos to sit around and not take snaps.

I only saw positive things when Johnson was in. I'm sorry, Woeful just doesn't have the skills needed to step in and win a lot of games at this level. Johnson's mobility is better. His arm is stronger. I see RJ behind PR.

Hammy just hasn't been in long enough to make any type of judgement call. I hope we get to see a lot of him tonight. He, too, has an arm on him. Still, I think we need Woeful at #3, regardless of how this rookie does. As another poster stated, we need veterans backing up PR, period.

Looks like we haven't shaken ol DW just yet, and agree he will be the third QB. I would rather go with Johnson and Hamden and send Danny packing. If he helps with the QB coaching make him a coach, which I'm not sure I care for. Don't know if I like a major choke artist coaching my young QB.

It's just as easy to pick up a QB in the event of injury later if we cut DW now and keep Hamden. Hell, nobody will pick up Danny, and we could get him back if we had no other choice.:gus::gus:

:smoke:

Gibran will probably be stashed on the IR. They may even risk cutting him and then bringing him back for the practice squad. But either way, I don't see how Danny will be the #2. After he was signed, Johnson has really stepped up his play.

Last preseason game alone, Sackmaster Johnson, the most unintelligent QB in the game, was like 3/10, 1 INT. Wuerffel's completion rate is usually a heck of a lot higher than that and was 4/4 alone last week. I'm not saying this is necessarily consistent on all levels, but I'm saying that there's plenty to say Wuerffel can be better for this team than Johnson.

I think SOS has made, hopefully, a wise, cheap investment in Danny Wuerffel.

Actually, I'm attending JAX tonight so I hope to see the play live. Cross your fingers...

From the reports I've read and the stats I've seen, Johnson has done well this pre-season. I think DW would have to play very well to take the #2 spot.

I just hope Hamden makes it through the wires to the practice squad. Some other team may just look at his size and big arm and figure he has more potential than the UFA that they have in the same roll. We need to develop a guy like him to at least take over the #3 spot next year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. there arent exactly a bunch of QBs running around the NFL who are schooled in the fun-N-gun. It's not like we run the WCO and can pick up a FA, teach him some new terminology and plug him in. I would feel a lot better next year if we could go into the season with a strong armed kid like Hamden, with a full year in the system, on the active roster.

The only thing that would concern me about putting Hamdan on the practice squad would be that an opponent (like the Jets) would pick him up to milk him for knowledge of Spurrier's offense. Ol' Gibby would have some pretty fresh, up-to-the minute info to provide, and he's a pretty smart guy. At least mentally he seems to have a grasp of what they're asking him to do.

Rob Johnson has looked fine to me as a backup qb goes. He is mobile, has a strong arm and has done fairly well with a motley assortment of blockers and skill players during the preseason.

Wuerffel over Johnson? :laugh:

If that were to happen it would have to be explained in terms OTHER than what the players have shown in the preseason.

Wuerffel by all accounts has looked awful in practices and has been almost invisible in the preseason games.

Based on what we saw last year, he has little upside as a performer. Where his value comes in is as another pair of eyes and ears for Ramsey.

For that all Danny needs is a visor :D

Danny really should be cut and given a chance to go somewhere else....or stick with the Skins as a coach.

Don't even both putting on the pads though.......its not worth it anymore. You cut him and there is almost no chance that Ramsey gets pulled for bad play.....I don't like the idea of Danny back there dance in Spurrier's head with NCAA titles.

Flutie is a malcontent on the bench. You just don't hear much about it anymore because he's a popular guy and Brees isn't unpopular like RJ was in Buffalo.

Hamdan's the kind of guy who, like Rypien, is built wonderfully and has a solid arm, but is also extremely raw and could benefit from a couple more mini camps and training camps and offseasons. Were this 20 years ago, we'd stash him on the IR for a couple of years and see where we were. That's far harder to do now. I think he'll go to the practice squad, and Lord knows where he'll be in a year. It was a highly questionable pick to say the least.

Worefull is almost guarenteed to make the team I mean who says you need a domenate #3 QB but you do need a decent one. Worefull know's a whole lott about Spurriers System and not only did QB's play pick up after they signed Worefull but everone likes him around as a knowlege source. Dont get me wrong Spurrier is a good QB teacher but Worefull will be there teaching when Spurrier has to worrie about other matters.

with Ramsey a 23 year old starter there was no rush to grab another young qb to groom.

we should have used that #7 pick on another spot where a we could have brought a younger guy along and where there was a hole on the bench such as at TE, DT or MLB.

Originally posted by Pete

Looks like we haven't shaken ol DW just yet, and agree he will be the third QB. I would rather go with Johnson and Hamden and send Danny packing. If he helps with the QB coaching make him a coach, which I'm not sure I care for. Don't know if I like a major choke artist coaching my young QB.

It's just as easy to pick up a QB in the event of injury later if we cut DW now and keep Hamden. Hell, nobody will pick up Danny, and we could get him back if we had no other choice.:gus::gus:

:smoke:

Those who can, do. Those who can't teach.

Gibbs was never a good QB either.

Earlier in the offseason, I was thinking that the best strategy is we could bring Wuerfel in for a few weeks, cut him just before the season, then there's pretty much zero chance anyone else would pick him up -- but if Ramsey or Johnson got injured we could snap him back up and plunk him in the line-up w/o missing a beat and he'd be adequate. I still kinda think that, but it sure seems Wuerfel was physically rusty when he first came back.

I think it'll be hard for us to risk putting Hamdan on the PS; we drafted him (for reasons that still aren't entirely clear to us, but apparently were to the FO) and he seems to have done even better than we expected.

Archived