Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: Washington Redskins v. Houston Texans (Final)

bredskin

ES Coverage: Washington Redskins vs. Houston Texans

9/19/10

5006402085_850cd90b7e_o.jpg

:helmet:

Defeat!!!

Redskins 27 – Texans 30

Redskin Pre-Game

Hello and welcome to ES coverage of the Washington Redskins Vs the Houston Texans. Bredskin live on site with Murf for a big game with the Texans. It is perfect weather for the game; temperature at kick-off should be in the 80s. Clear skies are in the forecast.

It has been 7 days since the nail-biting, last second win against the Cowgirls. The second Texas team has come to town, bringing with it, a prolific passing attack and as of last week, a very scary rushing attack.

It will be important for the Redskins defense to once again, come up big. Getting into a shootout with the Texans would be un-wise.

Defensively, the Texans also can bring it. Mario Williams, former number one overall pick, is playing unbelievable football. He will give Trent Williams another huge test coming off of the edge.

If the Redskins can get the running game going, as they did last week in the fourth quarter, they have a good chance against the Texans.

We will be bringing you updates throughout the game at crucial points and will follow up the game with a write-up, audio, and unbelievable pictures from Murf.

Follow Murf on Twitter at https://twitter.com/HomerMcFanboy

Enjoy the game….Go Skins!

Redskins Inactives:

John Beck

Brandon Banks

Kareem Moore

Perry Riley

Will Montgomery

Logan Paulsen

Jeremy Jarmon

Albert Haynesworth

Texans Inactives:

Matt Leinart

Dorin Dickerson

Antwaun Molden

Jamar Wall

Kasey Studdard

Shelley Smith

Garrett Graham

Adewale Ogunleye

I will be keeping an eye out for the ability of the Redskins offensive line to get a push against the Texan DLine. The Redskins really struggled early against Dallas running the ball. Was it a coincidence that the ground game got going when Shanny began rotating at guard and tackle? I can’t remember a time in Washington, where offensive lineman were rotating during a regular season game, without existing injury being the reason.

Anyone think that Dock could be in trouble?

I will also be watching to see if anyone outside of Cooley and Moss get into the passing game. Is it possible that D Thomas might get on the field? How far he has fallen if he can’t get past Armstrong and Williams? Someone needs to step up.

Anyone think that Fred Davis could be that man?

First Quarter

4:21 PM Nice drive that bogs down in the red zone. 3 passes to Sellers and 2 wide receiver screens? Not too creative. Running game is starting slowly, again. Gano for 3.

4:28 PM He caught the ball!!! Rogers with a pick

4:32 PM Following a beautiful play action pass to Cooley from McNabb, the drive ends in the red zone, again. Two runs that went for nothing and a pass short of the goal line ends the drive. Red zone offense still needs work, but Gano makes it 6-0 Redskins.

Second Quarter

4:45 PM Texans with a nice drive, mixing run and pass. 11 plays / 77 yds. Play action pass to Jones for TD. That was too easy. Redskins used a hybrid line several times with Daniels and Adam C as the only two lineman. I am not sure that I am sold on that scheme.

4:51 PM 62 yards to J Galloway.

4:52 PM Nice pass to Moss, who was interfered with, no call though.

4:54 PM Portis runs for 1 yard for the TD. Good answer by the Skins. They really needed that! First offensive TD of the season. 13-7.

5:00 PM Good stop by the Redskins defense. Good pressure throughout. Antonio Bryant has been active. I am not missing AH.

5:05 PM Texans beginninng to press the WRs for Washington. I guess they are no longer going to give us the bubble screen.

5:11 PM Texan running game is now consistanly producing yardage, opening up play action, which is also working.

5:15 PM Big sack by Alexander on 3rd down. Schaub is not very mobile. Rackers misses the kick.

5:17 PM Sellers again??? Seriously??

5:18 PM Freddy Delight for 62 Yds. Beautiful run / catch. Great blocking by Portis 50 yds down field...great effort!

5:21 PM Portis in from the 1. He is getting pounded. 20-7...The offense is showing me something in the air.

5:27 PM Landry with the sack and the pose.

5:28 PM Half Time. Good effort from Washington. There appears to be no hangover in Washington. The passing game is on point. If they could get the running game going, we would be in business..

Third Quarter

5:49 PM A drop on third kills a nice Texan drive. Racker from 46. 20-10.

5:53 PM By the way, the cheerleaders are now wearing yellow. I thought you might be interested.

6:01 PM McNabb to Cooley for a 22 yard TD. Huge passes to Armstrong and R. Williams, as the Skins moved it for 92 yards and a TD. The running game is non-existant, but we are a passing powerhouse!!

6:10 McNabb 340 yards, he's no Campbell, per Murf... https://twitter.com/HomerMcFanboy

6:13 PM 50 yards to A Foster. Schaub to Walter for a 6yd TD. The pass to Foster was 3rd and long, a well designed screen. 27-17.

Fourth Quarter

6:18 PM Johnson for a loss of 10. Portis had ice on his wrist...

6:18 PM Risky screen. No running game is going to make the end of this game interesting..

6:23 PM 35 to A. Walter. Here comes the Texans.

6:24 PM Big drop by J. Jones on third. Rackers kick 27-20.

6:29 PM Williams in at RB not Johnson. Good, Johnson looks slow and has played poorly.

6:31 PM Galloway again with a big catch. Skins are on the move.

6:32 PM 3 Runs by Portis. The running game only works in the 4th quarter?

6:35 PM Penalty on 3 and 1 bogs down the drive, leading to a blocked FG. Here comes the Texans.

6:40 PM Big defensive stand by the Skins. Skins take over with 5:06 left.

6:43 PM Just missed another bomb to Galloway

6:43 PM Huge punt return negated by a penalty. Huge penalty.

6:48 PM A. Johnson huge gain on 3rd down to mid field. He is a great player.

6:52 PM Jump ball to Johnson for the TD. He is a beast. 27-27.

6:55 PM This is why we got McNabb..

6:69 PM Trent Williams hurt. Walking off with assistance. He is by far our best lineman. Here comes Heyer, scary.

7:03 PM Bidwell better kick this ball FAR!!!

7:07 PM We are going to OT.

Overtime

7:17 PM Nice stop by the Skins.

7:20 PM Skins on the move

7:31 PM I have a feeling we are going to have a lot of close games this season. This is unbelievable.

7:37 PM This is going to be a tough locker room.

PHOTOS

5007012628_fd4d95f0c9_o.jpg

To see a slideshow of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

To see the complete set of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Lorenzo Alexander click HERE

To listen to comments from Anthony Bryant click HERE

To listen to comments from Andre Carter click HERE

To listen to comments from Fred Davis click HERE

To listen to comments from London Fletcher click HERE

To listen to comments from Chris Horton click HERE

To listen to comments from LaRon Landry click HERE

To listen to comments from Kory Lichtensteiger click HERE

To listen to comments from Santana Moss click HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

To listen to comments from Casey Rabach click HERE

REFFKIN'S FINAL THOUGHTS

It was 27-10 late in the third quarter when the wheels came off. Too much Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson brought an end to the hopes of an undefeated season and crushed the Redskins faithful in a 30-27 overtime loss to the powerful Texans.

Offensively, Donovan McNabb had a coming out party. He threw for 426 yards by completing 28 of 38 passing attempts and threw his first touchdown as a Redskin. He also had an unbelievable 119.0 quarterback rating. He is the real deal and by far the best quarterback we have had here in decades. The pass protection was also very good. Although McNabb got sacked three times (two after Trent Williams got hurt), the offensive line was solid. Considering that the Redskins only rushed for 18 yards and the Texans knew they were going to pass on almost every play, the passing game was on point. They were successful throwing deep, mid-range crossing routes, and in the flats. They distributed the ball nicely to the wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs. The passing game is solid and gives me hope for the remainder of the season, depending on how long Trent Williams may be out for his injured knee.

The running game is a whole other story. The 17 carries for 18 yards is the lowest total that I can remember and the third lowest yardage total in Redskins history. That is definitely a big problem. The running game was horrible in the first three quarters against Dallas and that obviously continued tonight. It wasn’t like the Texans were stacking the line of scrimmage. They were not over-committing to the run and still the offensive line was getting little to no push. In fact, Redskins running backs were getting hit often before they were getting to the line of scrimmage. With Trent Williams, the best lineman, possibly out for an extended period of time, this lack of running game really scares me. Without making defenses worry about some type of running game, the passing game will suffer, and the quarterback will eventually take big hits. Both Kory Lichtensteiger and Casey Rabach discussed having to look at the film, during post-game interviews, to analyze what is going wrong in the run game. I hope we have a good film guy and can work things out quickly.

Defensively, the pass rush was after Matt Schaub all afternoon. The Redskins sacked him five times today. The also hit him a lot and hit him hard, often. The problem is that the Texans are very good in the passing game, number one last season in the NFL. Schaub lit up the Redskins for 497 yards and threw a game tying jump ball to the best receiver in the game, Andre Johnson, to force overtime. In the end, their passing game was too much for us to handle. Laron Landry is all over the field, but has little help at strong safety. Reed Doughty seems overmatched in the passing game. The Redskins need Kareem Moore back soon.

The rushing defense was better today, but that may because the Texans fell behind and were having success with the pass. The defensive line seemed to be better as a whole with Anthony Bryant in at Nose Tackle. They did not seem to miss #92.

Although it was a bitter defeat and the Redskins appeared to choke, there are positives. There was no one in the press box that thought that the Redskins could move the ball consistently, much less put up 27 points and keep pace with a very tough Houston team. The passing game is very efficient and today showed it can stretch the field. Defensively, the Redskins have demonstrated over two games that they can apply pressure and get to the quarterback. Thy defense has so many sets; it definitely throws off opposing offenses.

When you really think about it, the Redskins left a lot of points on the field. The first two drives in the red zone only produced 6 points. Most importantly, the blocked field goal in the fourth quarter was the beginning of the end.

This team is much better than the one we watched last season. We have better talent and are much better coached. But, how many more games will we win? I wish I had the answer.

Thanks for the coverage Bredskin. Can you guys see Al yet from your vantage point? And if so, does he look even remotely interested in playing today, or does he have that "Daddy wants to get paid and sit on his ass" look about him?

Also, I know it's probably too early for the inactive list. But do you see Banks on the field? I would like to see a few deep balls thrown today.

I think temps in the 80's is not perfect..a bit warm and may lead to some cramping as we saw last week? Hopefully it will cool down some....those Texans are more used to the heat than we are...

Two things:

- Reffkin meant perfect for us walking in and in the press box.

- It will cool down this afternnoon and it is low humidity.

Other than that all I can tell you is that we are sitting in the press box, well fed, and watching the red zone channel in high def on a big flat-panel. I can't imagine it getting better than this...

Redskins Inactives:

John Beck

Brandon Banks

Kareem Moore

Perry Riley

Will Montgomery

Logan Paulsen

Jeremy Jarmon

Albert Haynesworth

Texans Inactives:

Matt Leinart

Dorin Dickerson

Antwaun Molden

Jamar Wall

Kasey Studdard

Shelley Smith

Garrett Graham

Adewale Ogunleye

One final thought - last week the Redskins rotated offensive linemen, which is crazy to me. If they do that again today, you can bet the Texans will move around Mario Williams to line up on guys like Stephon Heyer, rather than a Pro Bowler like Jammal Brown. My best advice: don't use Heyer unless you have to. Put your best five guys in and be done with it. Williams is good enough as it is. No need to increase the chances of him impacting this game.

Two things:

- Reffkin meant perfect for us walking in and in the press box.

- It will cool down this afternnoon and it is low humidity.

Other than that all I can tell you is that we are sitting in the press box, well fed, and watching the red zone channel in high def on a big flat-panel. I can't imagine it getting better than this...

Pappas is most definately well fed.

Archived