Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From another board: ESPN Ticker reporting Dalton trade to Skins for conditional pick

goldenster95

I think there are two ways to handle the Bernard Jackson situation.

1) Place him on IR. You lose his services for the season, but it protects him from the waiver wires the whole time. This would be a "redshirt" season for him, similar to Robert Royal last season.

2) Place him on the PUP (Physicaly Unable to Perform) list. That would protect him from waivers, too, for 6 weeks into the season ( I think). At that point, the Skins could activate him if they aren't totally pleased with their DL rotation. If he's still hurt, they could place him on IR. But if he's healthy, he has to be activated or released.

The one thing that the Skins current group of DTs lacks is athleticism and quickness into the gaps. Seems like a group that should hold up blockers just fine. But if teams decide they can't run too well on us, they could just start passing--early and often.

Then we could be pressed to generate a pass rush. It's something we're going to have to keep an eye on. Have you noticed Peppi Zellner ALREADY getting reps at the 3-position?

Jackson is unproven, but definately more athletic than the guys we've been stockpiling. He could be useful at some point.

I worry more over where the pass rush will come from, but we'll see how that works out.

I was think the same thing, though on passing downs, Wynn and Zellner inside of Bruce and Upshaw looks formidable atleaset on true passing downs.

Also, I dont think anyone can complain that this team isnt doing everything possible to putting a winning team on the field. Even though we may not the most menacing at every position, we atleast are above average IMO.

Nice about Dalton to is that his cap number is 1.8 mil next year which is not bad especially if he plays well through this season

It's nice to avoid a gaping hole in the middle and all, but if both of these guys work out, and I hope they do, we are already down to a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7th rounder next year. I can't say I'm too happy about that.

Still, it's nice to see our FO not panic and give up a 5th for a guy we don't know will work out. That's definately a positive.

A Denver Bronco website post

Dalton won't clear the waiver wire for us to be able to put him in the practice squad. Other teams like zona, the skins, jags etc will be all over him as if he was a free hooker. Say whatever you want about this guy but he's a very good backup DT. Dalton's failure at the end of the season had nothing to do with him being overweight, raw, or having poor technique. The guy was NOT getting blasted off the line of scrimmage. It was his stamina basically.

Dalton faded down the stretch for the same reason Pope did well. Dalton faded after playing and starting 13 games while Pope benefitted from only seeing spot or relief duty and was still fresh at the end of the season.

Any of you really think whoever starts alongside Gardener (pope or dalton) is going to be fully effective towards the end of the season? I don't think it's as cut and dry as just letting Dalton go if there's no trade. I'd rather have him as a backup than Fatafehi or Holland who really belong on the practice squad and have no real talent except for being wide bodies.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I liked what I read above on the Denver board. Of course many of them are bad-mouthing Dalton now that he has been traded, which is human nature I suppose, just like many of us did with Big Daddy. But as I said last week when I posted the Denver rushing defense stats for the first 13 games, I think Dalton played very well those first 13 games. We know it wasn't McGlockton, because that sucker was cut. So why would Denver give up on Dalton then? I think it was because they have some younger, cheaper bodies who can play just as well. But that still doesn't make Dalton a bum. So I like this trade, especially when we were on the ropes for depth.

I am more worried now about the unexpected Alex Molden cut, because we are really thin if either Champ, Smoot or Bauman goes down with an injury. But then I guess in this age of free agency, no team can have 53 quality starters. :(

Henry, As long as we keep our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks next year, I'm a happy man. Lower picks are usually projects and the way we have been doing with UFAs, I think we will be fine in that department. Those first three picks though are where you can find the best talent and players who can likely start for you right away. Like a DE and a DT in rounds 1 and 2. :D

The sad thing is, if we can't find a way to come to terms with Champ, and cant find a worthy starter in FA, we may have to use that #1 on a CB. :gus:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Henry,

I believe we are going to be getting back a draft pick for either Betts or Watson this weekend. Also, don't forget that with our #1 pick next year, it may also be possible to trade DOWN in the round as we did before, to accumulate more picks. :)

I would like to think so, but anyone watching our situation at this point has to be thinking we will be forced to cut somone or put them on the practice squad where they can get them anyway. I'm positive that Sultan has opened a few eyes and there are a few teams out there licking their chops at the thought of nabing him off the waiver wire. :doh:

I've been waiting patiently to see Snyder's secret plan behind releasing Big Daddy - because we knew he wouldn't panic and he always gets his man. Now we see the answer:

In addition to the already depleted 2004 draft, Snyder gives up TWO more conditional picks for next year, $1.4M in 2003, and $3M per year in the future.

I know no one here takes giving up draft picks lightly, especially when they're the sole way to offset big stars receiving big money. It can make sense if you receive true value for a proven player. It also makes sense if the player is not under contract to make more than he's worth in the future. It makes even more sense when you're a team on the cusp looking for that key piece to the puzzle. Did it make sense here?

Guys like Ted Washington, Grady Jackson, Keith Traylor - they're worth one pick. Here, it's 2 picks for Marvelous Martin Chase and the favorite son of Shanahan and Marvin Lewis, Lional Dalton. I guess the hope is that they turn out better than their respective teams thought they would and that their role amidst the logjam of mediocre bodies at DT is significant enough to justify the money and more importantly, the opportunity to acquire cheap talent and build through the draft.

Sorry for this little interruption as I it looks like I'm the only one without a date at the big Dalton Dance. Maybe I should fill up a cup of Snyder's spiked Kool-Aid punch and try to shake my rump.

:dj:

Flow's probably right about the Redskin DTs being a mediocre lot.

At least the Redskins won't need a strong defense for the first game. The opponent won't provide much in the way of offense, so the team will have to wait until week 2 to guage how well the acquisitions will hold up.

:cheers:

Guys like Ted Washington, Grady Jackson, Keith Traylor - they're worth one pick. Here, it's 2 picks for Marvelous Martin Chase and the favorite son of Shanahan and Marvin Lewis, Lional Dalton. I guess the hope is that they turn out better than their respective teams thought they would and that their role amidst the logjam of mediocre bodies at DT is significant enough to justify the money and more importantly, the opportunity to acquire cheap talent and build through the draft.

Agreed its tough to give up picks, for potential short term fixes, but atleast the skins made these picks conditional so if these guys don't work out your giving up a 6th and 7th rounders....if they do work out, they can turn a glaring weakness into a strong blue collar group. One thing that is obvious though, is that I don't think the skins can afford much longer not to address the Dline in the draft.

Originally posted by Henry

Acutally Flow, I think we probably picked up BOTH Chase and Dalton because we lost Noble to a season ending injruy. You aren't blaming the FO for season ending injuries, are you?

One of the main arguments against cutting Big Daddy was that it would leave the DT situation thin. Also, it seemed that had Noble stayed healthy, they were still active on the DT market.

Injuries are always a part of the game (as the Jets just painfully learned) and GMs are responsible for providing insurance. But your point is taken, and had Noble not been injured, Snyder most likely wouldn't have had to give up as much.

Now, flow,

The only way we "gave up" "$3M per year in the future" is if he's worth it. We can cut him at any time, with no cap hit. (Or, use that to get him to negotiate downward.)

Among other things, by that time, we'll either have Noble back, or we'll have somebody else. (We will draft some linemen, right?)

Flow,

Dalton costs $1.8 million next year before going to $3 million. And, as has been discussed he doesn't get a dime of that unless he's actually here and starting because we have no ramifications for cutting him.

But, as expected, and as you know intimately well from Snyder's dealings with your bumbling front office, he tends to get what he wants. Not only did he make one move at tackle since you were last expressing concern at the prospects, but, he's made two moves. It's something else watching him operate, isn't it?

I mean, we lose Noble and need a tackle or two and our guy goes out and gets guys with starting experience who've proven to have NFL level skills at least on some level. You guys lose your QB in Pennington and your response is to sign Todd Husak, a guy with little NFL skill who can't really be expected to add anything but a practice squad arm to the team.

Guess the difference in how well one front office works compared to how poorly yours does gets to you, doesn't it?

Originally posted by jbooma

So if both him and chase do not play 40% then what happens. According to each deal we have to deal a 7th rnd pick, and we only have one. I know it won't happen but just curious to see what would happen if this is the case.

In which case, we will trade down in, say, the second, and pick up another 7th.

Originally posted by Art

You guys lose your QB in Pennington and your response is to sign Todd Husak, a guy with little NFL skill who can't really be expected to add anything but a practice squad arm to the team.

Now, Art,

They did talk to the Eagles about getting their 3rd-stringer. (Unsuccessfully).

Originally posted by Larry

Now, Art,

They did talk to the Eagles about getting their 3rd-stringer. (Unsuccessfully).

True Larry. Again, another difference. Where the Jets fail, Snyder succeeds. But, Flow and the Jets know that quite well already.

Archived