Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From another board: ESPN Ticker reporting Dalton trade to Skins for conditional pick

goldenster95

hmmmmm.....interesting if true.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A47571-2003Aug26?language=printer

Redskins Obtain Dalton in Trade With Broncos

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 26, 2003; 12:01 PM

The Washington Redskins agreed to a trade with the Denver Broncos today in which the Redskins will obtain defensive tackle Lional Dalton.

The deal is contingent upon Dalton passing a physical scheduled for early this afternoon. He was traveling to the D.C. area this morning and was scheduled to arrive just before noon.

The Redskins agreed to trade a conditional draft pick to the Broncos, pending the physical. If Dalton participates in at least 40 percent of the Redskins' defensive plays this season, the choice would be a fifth-round selection. If not, it would be a seventh-rounder. Dalton agreed to reduce his salary for this season from $1.6 million to $900,000.

It was the second trade completed by the Redskins in less than a week to bolster the interior of their defensive line, which was depleted when the club released Dan Wilkinson on the second day of training camp and lost fellow tackle Brandon Noble to a season-ending knee injury in the second exhibition game. The Redskins acquired tackle Martin Chase from the New Orleans Saints last Wednesday for a seventh-round draft pick next year, which becomes a sixth-round choice if Chase plays in at least 40 percent of the defensive snaps.

Dalton, like Chase, should have a relatively smooth transition since he once played for the Baltimore Ravens under defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis, who was the Redskins' defensive boss last season before becoming the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals. The Redskins have kept the basics of Lewis's system in place under new defensive coordinator George Edwards. Chase played in Saturday's exhibition game against the Ravens after only one practice with the Redskins, and contributed a sack.

Dalton and Chase probably will challenge seriously for starting jobs with the Redskins. For now, the team's starting tackles are Jermaine Haley and Bernard Holsey. Even if they don't start in tandem, the 310-pound Chase and the 309-pound Dalton should give the Redskins some girth for the middle of their defensive line that they needed badly.

Dalton, 28, made 13 starts last season for a Denver defense that ranked fourth in the NFL against the run and sixth overall. He was credited with 39 tackles and one sack. But he lost his starting job late last season, and this summer the Broncos decided to replace him with younger, cheaper players even after he lost more than 30 pounds in the weeks leading up to training camp. The Broncos withheld Dalton from practices and their past two exhibition games, including Monday's contest against the Indianapolis Colts. Today's deadline for NFL teams to reduce their rosters to 65 players apiece forced a resolution to the matter.

The Redskins nearly traded for Dalton almost two weeks ago, but passed on a proposed deal last week. Dalton's agent, Marvin Demoff, urged the Redskins late last week to reenter the bidding. By late Monday afternoon, the Redskins thought the pursuit had come down to them and the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs apparently offered the Broncos a fifth-round pick and would have paid Dalton a $1 million salary, but Dalton thought the opportunity for playing time was better with the Redskins. The Broncos also had shopped Dalton to the Ravens, Jacksonville Jaguars and other teams.

Dalton spent his first four NFL seasons with the Ravens after being signed by Baltimore in 1998 as an undrafted rookie out of Eastern Michigan. He became a top backup to tackles Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa on the Ravens' record-setting defense that carried the club to a Super Bowl title in the 2000 season. He made six starts in his final three seasons in Baltimore, then signed a seven-year, $21.12 million contract with the Broncos as a free agent prior to last season. He has six seasons remaining on the contract, which pays him a salary of $1.8 million in the 2004 season and $3 million in each season between 2005 and 2008.

With the acquisition of Dalton, the Redskins planned today to release defensive tackle James Cannida, a part-time starter for the Colts last season who signed to a minimum-salary contract early in training camp. They also planned to release second-year defensive lineman Greg Scott, a seventh-round draft choice last year, and veteran cornerback Alex Molden, who was signed to a two-year, $1.8 million contract in May to compete with second-year pro Rashad Bauman for the No. 3 cornerback job behind starters Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot. Molden, who was released by the San Diego Chargers following last season, received a $200,000 signing bonus from the Redskins but failed to impress team officials. His departure ensures that Bauman will keep the nickel-cornerback job he inherited from Darrell Green late last season.

The Redskins planned to release tight end Leonard Stephens, cornerback Lloyd Harrison and one more player. They released nine players on Monday, including veteran offensive linemen Tre Johnson and Rod Jones, punter David Leaverton and wide receivers Scott Cloman and Richmond Flowers.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

You have got to give props to the FO if this is true. They could have easily over paid/compensated after Noble went down.

Even if it's not true at least they are not panicking. Trade or no trade, at least a one year serviceble DT will become available in the next 2 weeks. Though I'd rather get Dalton.

I think it's also because Dalton wants to come to the 'Skins, he's willing to take less pay with the 'Skins and his agent is the one who re-started the talks. Here he has a chance to play more and show off for next year's pay day.

Smart business decision by Dalton and his agent, plus the Broncos still get a decent pick. Redskins didn't give up to much and have added a possble starter at DT at around the same price they paid for Gardner last year.

Win for all

called the Cannida and Molden cuts. Molden in fact looked poor during the preseason. I thought rookie Wade Davis outplayed him against the Patriots when they were in there as a tandem.

Cannida was cut from a defense in Indy with still a number of holes up front. I was dubious he was going to be much of a help here in 2003.

So King Lional is here, eh? :)

Well for those of you that thought his presence was mandatory, we will see what he brings to the table :D

Interesting info in the Post. Cannida out, meaning Cowsette has to be feeling pretty good. Scott gone, dropping us down to seven of the 10 players we picked in last year's draft. Molden out, meaning the team isn't just giving positions away to guys and young guys are winning jobs.

The team really likes Ade Jimoh, but, cutting Molden is a pretty big move for him. Molden isn't a great player or anything, but he's a vet with starting experience and who has had some good years. Cutting him in favor of Jimoh is risky but, it also sends a message that what you do on the practice field matters to the guys making the decisions.

Cannida is no big loss. I thought Scott would make the practice squad at least. But my real problem is with the Molden cut.

Is Bauman really ready to play the Nickel? Molden may be average, but I'm not sure Bauman is ready to play the slot.

BD

Originally posted by AJWatson3

cool we are getting dalton. sucks we are gonna cut greg scott. wish we'd keep him for the practice squad.

Scott could still be brought back for the practice squad. Teams will frequently release a player they want to keep earlier and then bring him back after last cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott survives on the PS this year.

Agreed jbooma and Skins_fresh. Cannida IMO could have been a descent body inside, and what about cowsette. I haven't heard much from this guy lately, or have I been under a rock somewhere. Also, if we keep signing guys like cannida and Dalton and giving up draft picks. I would defintely want to get something out of them for least 1yr.

Man! what next, wait till another DT comes available after the cuts and then release Dalton.

Another decent body to throw into the rotation - Haley, Dalton, Chase, and Cowsette.

No world-beaters there, certainly, but, hopefully, a group of solid space-eaters.

EDIT: Forgot about Holsey. He'll probably stay on as a DE-DT type much like Powell was last year. Edwards seems to like him.

Originally posted by Art

Scott could still be brought back for the practice squad. Teams will frequently release a player they want to keep earlier and then bring him back after last cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott survives on the PS this year.

Thanks, Art. Let's hope you're right.

I realize that the chief knock against Bauman is the same that was against the great #28 -- that he's too small. I disagree. I think Bauman could someday be a starting-quality corner, perhaps within the next season or two. He is fast and agile, and clearly has the physical tools to perform.

But DG was dominant as a corner not just because of his speed, but because of his awareness and his ability to just use his fundamentals to overperform. His coverage on David Boston-sized receivers was just astounding at times -- you really forgot he was that small.

I'm just not convinced Bauman can do that yet to any great degree. How will he cover the big, physical third WRs in this league? We'll have to wait and see.

Molden isn't anything to write home about, but he's had experience, and that counts for a lot down the stretch. Jimoh is an up-and-comer, but I thought for sure he'd wouldn't crack the lineup. Now, I guess he's their dime back (unless they're using Terrell).

BD

Archived