Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From another board: ESPN Ticker reporting Dalton trade to Skins for conditional pick

goldenster95

Originally posted by SonnyJ

Another decent body to throw into the rotation - Haley, Dalton, Chase, and Cowsette.

No world-beaters there, certainly, but, hopefully, a group of solid space-eaters.

You forgot Holsey. We still need a guy to actually demonstrate he's a worthy full-time starter, but, we do have a lot of the same type player to throw at people at least :).

With Dalton in the rotation mix we are now looking at another 7 or 8 type of player, improving the whole.

I think it was Joe Jacoby who said the 'Skins didn't have a lot of 9 or 10 type guys on those championship teams, they were made up of more 6, 7, and 8 guys. Hopefully that is what we have here.

Can you feel it? We may have a team to contend this year.

Could be that way DB. But, Dalton would have to be pretty good to make his contract worth it to us the way it's written. He'd be pretty affordable next year, but, unless he's really good, at $3 million the next few years, he's not worth it. Of course, if he IS pretty good, it's an excellent signing and easily reworked because there are no cap considerations.

Yeah, I remembered Holsey as soon as I posted. And I had been singing his praises earlier (well, relaying that Edwards was, at least).

As far as keeping Dalton for the duration of his contract, I suspect his cap # will require adjustment fairly soon. He gets a trial run this year. If he's garbage, just cut him loose - all you've lost is a 7th round pick in the bargain. Unlike some people, I don't consider those to be worth all that much - just sign an extra UDFA if it makes you feel better.

Doesn't look like the Broncos thought too highly of old Dalton -

http://www.broncosfreak.com/portal/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3401&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

maybe some sour grapes because he is leaving, but it does not look too promising.

The optimistic outlook: Dalton is big - we do need the beef to fill the holes. His downside is conditioning, but that can be offset by what looks like to be a good size rotation.

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

The key here is that we have his rights for the remainder of his contract. If this is in fact the case , then we may have just gotten a starter for the next 5 season for a low pick. Allowing us to focus on DE in round one next year.

But what is the rest of his contract? Does his base salary go back up?

DB,

I have no problem with the move either. Just saying that while $3 million a year isn't too much for a starting tackle, it's more than Dalton has proved he's worth. If he proves he's worth it, that's great and you're right, we have a huge bargain here and this was a tremendously smart move. I just have a difficult time envisioning him as emerging as a legitimate starter over any lengthy period. But, others like him more than I do.

As for Dalton being in shape, he is down to 309 by all reports and seems to be in the best shape of his career as the Broncos wanted a quicker defensive line instead of a bulky one.

This is Dalton's salary numbers for the upcoming years . . . his cap number this year is great for a starting DT . . . his numbers next year aren't bad at all . . . that'll give us more than enough time to gauge whether he'll be worth it . . .

2004 1800000

2005 3000000

2006 3000000

2007 3000000

2008 3000000

Originally posted by Art

You forgot Holsey. We still need a guy to actually demonstrate he's a worthy full-time starter, but, we do have a lot of the same type player to throw at people at least :).

Isn't the organization pretty high on Bernard Jackson too? I know he's raw and injured with the ankle, but the last I heard, he was supposed to be back at the end of Sept., all things being equal, any chance of him getting into the rotation this season?

Originally posted by poidog22

Isn't the organization pretty high on Bernard Jackson too? I know he's raw and injured with the ankle, but the last I heard, he was supposed to be back at the end of Sept., all things being equal, any chance of him getting into the rotation this season?

Good point poidog. People seem to be very high on him. I would expect him in the mix.

Originally posted by Saqs

The deal is for a 5th round pick if he plays 40% of the snaps. 7th if he doesnt.

So if both him and chase do not play 40% then what happens. According to each deal we have to deal a 7th rnd pick, and we only have one. I know it won't happen but just curious to see what would happen if this is the case.

Being overly optimistic I realize here, but reminds me a little of when we brought in Gardener last year; Dalton has a WHOLE LOT of cash on the line to bust his ass and play well for us now this year, also I for one was impressed that he dropped the extra weight, shows me he realized what he had to do, then he went out and got it done. Playing behind Seragusa and Adams early on had to teach him something, I hope and expect him to be a very pleasant surprise. I am no longer overly concerned about our defensive line any more, impressed with our FO's recognition to get this thing done so he might get to practice for one game before the JETS come to town. But I am an optimist.

Originally posted by poidog22

We have heard good things about him Poidog. I'm not sure where he fits though in the rotation if he fits at all. You aren't going to keep six tackles and we seem to have four set, with Cowsette the fifth. Jackson can also play end, but, we have four ends set already with L. Jackson as the fifth. We're in a serious numbers game now. You could almost see Jackson put on IR.

Originally posted by Bufford T Justice

These guys are not superstars but our DL just went from sucky to average or slightly above.

Yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up. :laugh:

We have the makings of a pretty good team here, 10-6 or better baby !!!

If any of the guys we have actually emerges as a legitimate starter worth keeping for a few years, then we have an above average defensive line in general, and a far above average line against the run. If these guys are the career backups they've been, but they are guys who can fill into the rotation and make some plays here and there, we'll have an average to slightly below average defensive line, while remaining slightly above average as a run stopping line.

We don't lack for guys who have "run stopper" in the description of what type of player they are and what style of play they are more suited for. With our backers we should have the makings for a pretty solid run defense in any case. I worry more over where the pass rush will come from, but we'll see how that works out.

You're right though Mike that this team has the makings of a 10-6 or better team. But, a lot of that centers on just how good Ramsey is, or, better put, how few the number of games he costs us is. I've said before and I'll say again, if he's an abnormally cool and effective second-year QB, this team is going to win the division and be very good.

I just don't see him as being abnormally good. Pretty good. Future good. But, inconsistent enough this year to limit us which is why I'm at 9-7 again at the moment for my prediction for this team. Still, I can't get it out of my head that if Ramsey is capable of being a 4,000-yard passer who limits his mistakes, the Redskins are going to be a very tough team for anyone to handle, because that kind of play at QB will mask other issues we may have.

I just think it'll be next year before we see that :).

Archived