Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis is our third-down back?

Oldfan

Against the Ravens, Clinton Portis came into the game on third-and-long situations. So, I have to figure that Kyle Shanahan wasn't joking when he told us that he thought Portis could be a third-down back in this scheme because of Clinton's blocking ability.

To me, Kyle's comment raised two equally ridiculous possibilities. Ether Kyle Shanahan is not aware that a third-down back's primarily functions as a pass receiver or Kyle has never seen Clinton function as a pass receiver with real bullets flying.

Now, it's also possible that blocking, indeed, is the RB's primary responsibility in this Shanahan scheme. If that's the case, they should find a new term to use since "third-down back" misleads.

The most consistently well-executed pass play in 2009 had Campbell swinging the ball to Betts on third down. Against the Ravens, McNabb's swing to Portis was thrown late and too far out in front. I don't blame Portis for not stretching out to catch it. If he had, he would probably have been decleated by the DB.

On the only other third-and-long attempt. Clinton caught a pass for a five-yard gain, but the route had been run so awkwardly that when Portis caught the ball, the velocity of the pass knocked him down.

On a draw, Clinton made a nice run for nine yards on another third and long play.

Donovan doesn't throw with consistent accuracy on short passes, and Clinton doesn't run routes or catch passes well. I can't see this combination working well to help the team move the chains on third down.

EDIT: Some posters questioned the meaning of the term "third-down back."

WikiAnswers --- 'Third down back' is a term in football for a running back that comes into the game in passing situations. He is an excellent pass receiver that runs good routes. If the team is in a third down and long yardage situation they are almost always going to run a passing play.

Would you then suggest Torain or Williams? We saw what happened when LJ tried to catch a pass and it wasn't pretty. Parker is a longshot to make the team at this point. Torain and Williams haven't been great in blitz pickup so far, so I'd rather go with Portis awkward catches than any of the alternatives.

Third down backs are not just there for catching/running the ball or it would be just like any other back on any other down. A third down back is there to assist in making sure the passing game works to it's best ability, which means if he needs to be in for blocking then he blocks. However, usually a Third down back is there for an initial block to give the QB that extra second he needs to scan his receivers and to dump off to the back if no one is open deep.

Would you then suggest Torain or Williams? We saw what happened when LJ tried to catch a pass and it wasn't pretty. Parker is a longshot to make the team at this point. Torain and Williams haven't been great in blitz pickup so far, so I'd rather go with Portis awkward catches than any of the alternatives.
If the personnel we have for a conventional third-and-long scheme leaves us with Portis as the best alternative, then maybe we need a different third-and-long scheme. Perhaps one with the RB replaced by an extra TE-type body.
Third down backs are not just there for catching/running the ball or it would be just like any other back on any other down. A third down back is there to assist in making sure the passing game works to it's best ability, which means if he needs to be in for blocking then he blocks. However, usually a Third down back is there for an initial block to give the QB that extra second he needs to scan his receivers and to dump off to the back if no one is open deep.
The "third-down back" is called that because he functions differently than the ordinary RB. His primary duty is catching passes.
Portis may be the best blocking HB in the NFL. if we are putting a premium on protection, how is this a bad thing?
If blocking is the RB's primary function on third-an-long, then Kyle needs to change his terminology. He should be referring to him as a "third-down back." --And perhaps he should be bringing in a bigger body to accomplish the task.

The "third-down back" is called that because he functions differently than the ordinary RB. His primary duty is catching passes.

The third down back's responsibility is to play on third down. Different offenses have different definitions of what they want out of their third down back. Just because your definition might differ from our offensive coordinator's doesn't mean he's wrong.

Some OCs might want their backs to block on third down and some might want them to go out for passes. Depends on offensive scheme and philosophy.

If blocking is the RB's primary function on third-an-long, then Kyle needs to change his terminology. He should be referring to him as a "third-down back." --And perhaps he should be bringing in a bigger body to accomplish the task.

Not sure what size has to do with it. Portis has shown he's a better blocker than backs much bigger than he is.

The third down back's responsibility is to play on third down. Different offenses have different definitions of what they want out of their third down back. Just because your definition might differ from our offensive coordinator's doesn't mean he's wrong.

Some OCs might want their backs to block on third down and some might want them to go out for passes. Depends on offensive scheme and philosophy.

The term "third-down back" has been around for at least 30 years and it has a specific meaning. In Skins lore, Joe Washington, Terry Metcalf, Kelvin Bryant and Brian Mitchell functioned as an extra receiver on third-and-long situations.

Not sure what size has to do with it. Portis has shown he's a better blocker than backs much bigger than he is.
Portis is a great blocker "for his size." No one expects a 210 RB to be as effective as he is against 260 pound defenders, but he's not as good as another FB or TE type would be.

The term "third-down back" has been around for at least 30 years and it has a specific meaning. In Skins lore, Joe Washington, Terry Metcalf, Kelvin Bryant and Brian Mitchell functioned as an extra receiver on third-and-long situations.

Well then we'll just call Portis "back-who-plays-on-third-down" since you know more about Football and his own offense than Kyle Shanahan

I've seen enough to know that Portis is just short of a disaster as a receiver out of the backfield. Pass protection? Best RB in the game. Receiver? Nuh-uh.

Well then lets put a few puzzle pieces together.

Portis is good at picking up Blitz's and in general Pass Protection. Maybe Kyle Shanahan knows what he's doing, and is keeping Portis there to protect the QB. Quite a few defenses blitz on 3rd Down, do they not? Portis can be used for Screens in heavy blitz situations, or as a blocker, so we don't need to have a 2 TE set each time a blitz is coming at us.

Well then we'll just call Portis "back-who-plays-on-third-down" since you know more about Football and his own offense than Kyle Shanahan
Quote me. What did I write that causes you to think that I'm saying that I know more about the offensive scheme than Kyle?

Well then lets put a few puzzle pieces together.

Portis is good at picking up Blitz's and in general Pass Protection. Maybe Kyle Shanahan knows what he's doing, and is keeping Portis there to protect the QB. Quite a few defenses blitz on 3rd Down, do they not? Portis can be used for Screens in heavy blitz situations, or as a blocker, so we don't need to have a 2 TE set each time a blitz is coming at us.

A quick swing pass or drop off to a back out of the backfield is also an effective counter to the blitz, if you have a RB with good hands. An elusive RB with the ball in open space can be a powerful offensive weapon. But I don't think that back is on our roster right now. Too bad.

A quick swing pass or drop off to a back out of the backfield is also an effective counter to the blitz, if you have a RB with good hands. An elusive RB with the ball in open space can be a powerful offensive weapon. But I don't think that back is on our roster right now. Too bad.

Portis can catch screen passes just fine. You need blockers on screen passes. I'm willing to bet Portis is our best back to do any of this.

If you're all so adamant on someone whos small and quick to be a 3rd Down back, then you should write to Kyle, and suggest Banks be back there on 3rd down just to catch the short out routes from the backfield.

I'd much rather keep Portis, who is much more versatile, and he's less likelly to get picked up by a LB who knows a screen is coming than a small back, because he can stay in there and block.

To me, Kyle's comment raised two equally ridiculous possibilities. Ether Kyle Shanahan is not aware that a third-down back's primarily functions as a pass receiver or Kyle has never seen Clinton function as a pass receiver with real bullets flying.

I think Kyle would know the primary job of a 3rd down back. The Texans were 4th in offense last year. #1 passing team in the league, with no running game.

Portis can catch screen passes just fine. You need blockers on screen passes. I'm willing to bet Portis is our best back to do any of this.

If you're all so adamant on someone whos small and quick to be a 3rd Down back, then you should write to Kyle, and suggest Banks be back there on 3rd down just to catch the short out routes from the backfield.

I'd much rather keep Portis, who is much more versatile, and he's less likelly to get picked up by a LB who knows a screen is coming than a small back, because he can stay in there and block.

Williams and Torain have proven they can catch the ball out of the backfield. And they do a better job.

A third-down-back doesn't have to be small and quick. Clinton's size is fine. He just isn't any good at pass receiving which is the primary responsibility of a third-down back.

Am I the only one that has gotten tired of hearing "Portis is the best blocking RB in the league."

Don't get all upset and ask me to name someone who does better. I'm just pretty sure there are some other RB's who can block "really good" other than our Portis.

Why would you even write this, knowing someone will ask you? So......

Archived